Unlimited access >

Vitamin E; yet another thread

Those softgels have switched to synthetic, and dropped the dose to 1000 iu. Check out the recent reviews for a bunch of irked horse people.

1 Like

The raw material costs of vitamin E have substantially increased in the past year and we unfortunately had to update our pricing to reflect that. We try to keep the product as inexpensive as we can. There is a 5% discount if you set up an autoshipment and I often have coupons that will work on scahealth.com - just shoot me a PM.

6 Likes

I was going to set up autoship–I looooove it when stuff just shows up!–but go through 25#s once a year. The longest autoship frequency you offer is (IIRC) 12 weeks. Have you considered more options there?

That’s my problem with the auto ship too.

1 Like

Ugh. Updated the details and moved to the synthetic vit e tab!

So…given the recent change in soft gel status, which soft gel is currently the best option rd: natural e and at least some oil in the capsul?

oil in a capsule doesn’t matter for horses. Humans need fat to stimulate the release of bile, and it’s the bile, not the fat, that aids Vit E digestion. Horses constantly release bile.

Check Puritan’s Pride, they have been among the lower cost gel caps but I don’t know the current status of that.

You are the hero this board needs! Thank you for updating this and sharing!!

4 Likes

Aww thanks! Just let me know if anything needs to be updated!

2 Likes

Has anyone tried to compare Santa Cruz’s Equine Wellness & Performance with Vermont Blend?

I’m wondering if it might be more economical to switch to that rather than purchase VB and the Vit E separately. However, my math skills are woefully lacking.

Also, can’t tell if the Vit E in the Wellness & Performance is natural or synthetic–the ingredients list doesn’t specify. @bugsynskeeter1 can you advise?

1 Like

You may find this article interesting. https://thehorse.com/172194/how-to-effectively-supplement-horses-with-vitamin-e/

There’s not much vitamin E in the Equine Wellness product. 2035 IU per pound. A serving is 136 grams. So just over 600 IU vit E in a serving. Santa Cruz labels their vit E at 8000 IU a serving, although most of us are probably doing 2000-4000 IU a day?

And here’s the line by line comparison to Vermont Blend. I think I have this all correct but I’m a little shaky on PPM conversions, so anyone is certainly free to double check my math. Vermont Blend makes it easy by listing what’s actually in each 4 oz serving. But these are not at all analogous products, and if you’re happy with Vermont Blend + 2/4/8k IU of vit E, you won’t get that in the SC product.

2 Likes

Ahh thank you! I totally missed the per lb part. Yeah that makes sense then to stick to VB with vitamin E separate.

We are working with our web developers to extend the frequency, possibly up to every 6 months. I do not know when that will be available online. I will say that we don’t require a certain number of shipments in order to receive the discount.

2 Likes

The Vitamin E Supplement listed in the ingredients is natural vitamin E. That is how we are required to list it by OTSC and AAFCO.

4 Likes

Okay, maybe a strange question, but why aren’t we feeding liquid natural vitamin E?
It’s extremely concentrated (like, we would feed a few drops per day) and pretty cheap. Is it not as stable? It’s widely available online. You can get food grade.

1 Like

Because it’s more $$ than powders/pellets, and while it does raise levels more quickly, that’s not needed for most horses, especially with the extra expense.

It’s not cheap. Emcelle, Elevate W.S. (which are micellized) and Nano-E (which is nano-dispersed) are pricey compared to regular forms. Emcelle is the cheapest of those 2, Nano-E the most $. Dosage is in terms of mL, which is more than a few drops to get in the 2000IU range

I had to go search, and found Aqua-E, which is a water-soluble

1mL is 20 IU, so you’d need 50mL to get to 1000IU. There are only 237mL in an 8oz bottle, which means only 4.75 servings. At a cost of roughly $47, or that’s insanely $$ at over $9/day, and that’s if you only need 1000IU.

Is there another product you are thinking of?

1 Like

I’ve found 4 Oz, which says it has 40,000 IU per Oz, for 19.99 on Amazon

There’s a difference between liquid vit e and water soluble vit e. What you’ve got on Amazon is the same as the gel caps, and $0.50 per 1000 iu, which is significantly more costly than these other options.

1 Like

What product though?