Unlimited access >

Vitamin E; yet another thread

There are plenty out there like this:

https://a.co/d/7is8Cwo

~$0.15 for 1000 iu. Which is at or near our lowest cost options. But it’s not water soluble, just in oil form. Which is fine, but how are they preventing degradation? We know vit e degrades quickly. I’m very doubtful you’re getting the labeled amount of vit e much beyond when the bottle is opened (and maybe not even then!)

Right, just because something is in liquid form doesn’t mean it’s a water-soluble form (whether micellized or nano-dispersed, and I’m not aware of another version)

Yes, I agree & also made that statement twice :slight_smile:

Okay thank you everyone that makes sense. Not water soluble, so basically useless for our uses, even if it will preserve food.

It’s not useless, it’s a source of natural vitamin E, but it’s quite $$$ compared to powders and pellets made for horses.

3 Likes

Not water soluble is fine for horses that aren’t pathologically low, and need an increase asap to address symptoms. Most horses that get vit e supplementation do fine on not water soluble. It just doesn’t raise levels as quickly, but it’s still effective.

The issue here is cost (40k iu at $20 is considerably more expensive than several other options) and degradation.

We know vit e degrades quickly, which is why we have to supplement when we’re feeding hay. There’s nothing to prevent that rapid degradation in a bottle of oil, which is why, in people, you see gel caps far more commonly for consumption/supplementation.

1 Like

Just hopping in to say y’all are so dang knowledgeable and well researched - this thread and a few others have been more helpful that googling all over.

I do hope whatever supply chain issues are increasing the cost of natural e don’t continue to climb - my horse and plenty of others do much better on it. With the cost of, well, everything skyrocketing, it’s just one more line item to change in the budget. I swear horses have always been expensive but sometimes it feels a bit ridiculous :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

FWIW, human E comes with oil in some form, whether it’s an actual oil (liquid) suspension, or oil within a gel cap. Why? Because Vit E needs bile to be micellized in the body, and bile is released in the presence of fat. Humans didn’t evolve to be constantly eating, therefore we needed a gall bladder to store bile for release as-needed.

Horses DID evolve to be (nearly) constantly eating, so no need for a gall bladder to store bile, since bile is (nearly) always needed since their forage diet already contains 2-4% fat.

Hence, horses do not need to eat fat along with Vit E.

5 Likes

@Xanthoria your spreadsheet is great ! What’s the difference between Puritan Prides mixed tocepherals and the other that just says natural vitamin e

1 Like

Unfortunately I can only put on the spreadsheet what the manufacturer puts on their label. Both the Puritans Pride products on sheet 1 have the type of vit E and the other ingredients so you can see the difference between them there. Also look at sheet 3 for the biopotency difference between types of vitamin E

1 Like

I ordered and started using this vitamin E.
Not sure if cheaper, but it’s convenient as I order my personal vitamins through them.
https://www.iherb.com/pr/solgar-natural-source-vitamin-e-670-mg-1-000-iu-100-softgels/69613#overview

Since they tell you right there what price per capsule (1000iu) is, easy to compare. Santa Cruz is as low as $0.11 per 1000 iu; you’re paying $0.24 or $0.25 for this option, depending on if you’re auto shipping or not.

I had a 20% off loyalty coupon from them and also auto ship. They send coupons via email often enough I rarely pay full price for anything.

20% discount on that Solgar makes it $.20/1000IU

Santa Cruz Natural E is currently $.13/1000IU for the powder , $.19 for the pellets, assuming you buy the 4lb bag or 10lb bucket respectively

I mentioned before in another thread that since a previously-favorite brand at Amazon switched to Dl-alpha, and the Puritans Pride disappeared for a while and reappeared at a higher price, I now pick up bottles of vitamin E at Walmart. It is currently $.1326/1000 IU so close to Santa Cruz, and I like just tossing a capsule in the feed tub as well as the ease of restocking by grabbing from the shelf while I’m doing regular shopping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Extra-Strength-Vitamin-E-D-Alpha-Softgels-Supplement-670-mg-1-000-IU-60-Count/10325011

Am I missing anything?

2 Likes

Spring Valley is definitely another valid option for natural E, for horses who will eat the gel caps. And yes, at $0.13/1000IU gel cap you aren’t missing anything :slight_smile: At that point it’s only about whether they’ll eat the gel cap or not

We are blessed with two non-picky horses! If my husband’s boy will eat his Prascend in his breakfast, he is not going to quibble over a gel cap. :joy:

1 Like

I supplemented my two horses with this vitamin E from WalMart last winter. Just dropped the capsules in with their ration balancer/oats/peanuts/peppermint/apple/pretzels dinner and they ate it every time.

2 Likes

Just an FYI to friends feeding Vit E capsules — Puritans Pride (listed on the sheet) has an online sale of $12.38 a bottle for the soft gels. 77% off usual price of $55.99

4 Likes

Thanks for this! I just placed an order.

1 Like