Unlimited access >

Waiting period after losing a dog?

So as I was recounting on the Old Dog thread, my 16 yo JRT passed last weekend. I could no longer put it off after I came home to find him “lost” in a corner of the living room.

He has been with me so long, I could not imagine replacing him and wanted to wait a while before adding a 2nd dog back into the house. But 4yo Am Staff is clearly subdued and lonely, and frankly so am I. I didn’t realize the house could be so quiet. I had hoped that taking Am Staff to a training brush-up class would help us.

Well as it turns out the head trainer (the one I mentioned in Gertie’s thread) is currently fostering a male Am Staff. My girl “met” him through the fence while at class the other night and immediately play bowed and started grumbling (she barks and growls when she is playing). I think she may have liked him but I didn’t encourage because she can get overwhelmed easily. Of course I can’t get him out of my head now even though I said I wanted to wait. I called head trainer and set up a “meet and greet” with her and foster pup after our class with the asst. trainer next week. I’m hoping to take it slow and see if it’s a true match before making any decisions.

But that leads me to my question… is there a magic time frame for dogs? Could I be bringing a new dog in too soon? Is it better for my girl to wait? Or is better to find her a buddy sooner than later?

2 Likes

There is no good answer to that. Some want immediate replacement to help get over the loss. It doesn’t mean you love the lost one less, but you are giving a home to a dog that maybe needs it? I would see about a meet and greet if you think you are interested.

5 Likes

there is no magic time.
I believe that the right animal comes about when the time is right.

See if this dog meets the bill. If not, there are more pups about.

4 Likes

Meet and Greet is tues evening after our manners class. And he is fostered from the same humane society that I got my girl from… it’s no kill but can be a tough place for sensitive types. Not somewhere I’d like to see any dog go back to, and he’s been in foster for a bit so a home means an open foster training spot for another “tough” case.
I’ll play it by ear and see how we feel after tues :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s different for every person and every situation. I don’t think there’s any wrong answer.

Personally I like to wait at least a few months in between pets. But I only have one big (cat/dog) pet at a time, and I enjoy taking a little break from the responsibility. Usually I will wait until my next round of vacations and such is done. Since you still have another dog, that doesn’t really apply.

I don’t think of it as replacing a pet, but opening your home to a new friend. There is no, “I made a new friend too soon!” It might be more of a concern if you were looking at another Jack Russell, because you might unfairly compare the new one to the old, but that’s not the case here. Meet him and see how you feel. And keep us posted!

5 Likes

After I lost my heart dog, I said I would not have another. Guess what? 8 weeks later I met a young adult needing rehoming. As soon as we met, my heart melted. That unplanned, new friend soon joined the household, and we haven’t looked back. Just to show, you never know!

2 Likes

About 11 years ago we lost one of our 2 dogs suddenly. It was a horrible event for our family and the 3 year old dog we still had had been so bonded to him, so I thought maybe we should wait a bit.

After a couple of days she was grieving so ( so were we all) and just missing our boy that I went to the local shelter and my son chose our girl " Sunny". She was 10 weeks old.

It took about 2 days and she and Tess were thick as thieves and her sweet nature and puppy antics were what we all needed.

I usually don’t wait to find another pup and we have never had an issue with any of our dogs getting along.

2 Likes

Everyone is different. No right or wrong answer.

My GSD killed one of our toy poodles 2 years ago. I think he had a brain misfire, he literally slaughtered the dog. He’d been raised with him since 8 weeks. Long story…still makes me cry. I had him euthanized, after speaking to several professionals and long discussion with vet. Very traumatic experience. I’ve had GSD my whole life, never an issue with other pets.

My husband wanted a new poodle within days. We got a 6 mo old miniature poodle who he adores.

I waited well over 1.5 yrs to get another GSD. Brought my boy home in January.

11 Likes

the cat looks thrilled! :grin:

1 Like

He taunts the dog relentlessly. He’s the only one of our 5 that likes him. Dog wants to play, but I curtail that. He’s young and too rough

oohhh the guilty A-hole look?!
My big red Tom had no guilt over taunting the dogs. Or beating up the kittens.

1 Like

This tells me all I need to hear. Do the meet and greet, and then go home without the new dog (even if it goes perfectly). If you still can’t get him out of your head… then adopt him.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’m feeling a bit better and actually think Jazzy is feeling pretty lonely so hoping this is the best thing for her. It really could be the best scenario as he has some good training under his belt and comes with a lifetime of future training classes. Fingers crossed for Tuesday, but I also don’t want to get my hopes up. Even if all goes well the plan is to take it slow and possibly do several play dates or classes together from there. I don’t want to jinx myself but here is photo tax.

Jazzy is my current girl
09988CD3-A2F9-4DDD-B321-6D863CCA0C7A

And then here is the rescue pup (photos stolen from facebook)

3FF8BBF5-B65D-4235-BF5D-00EC38305D8D
5ECD654D-E0E9-4FD1-8FF4-4652E3D790BC

10 Likes

good plan!

Aw the derp! Good luck as you navigate this, it’s hard but every time I’ve lost someone it’s been doors and windows, we’ve always found someone that needs that space that works for us.

1 Like

Here are the two “New comers” together. Little girl puts up with zero malarkey from big baby boy. We do monitor at all times due to over exuberance and 11 lbs vs 65 lbs. standard poodle plays with both

5 Likes

IMO, if you have love in your heart to give, then give it! It shows no disrespect to your recently passed dog to give love to another dog. In fact it gives honor to your love for him. Your heart is big; it has room for both your recently passed dog and another dog. Have fun with the new guy!

8 Likes

@CindyB59 Your cat doesn’t look quite as happy as you are to have him around in that picture :smile:

1 Like

He’s actually the only one of our 5 that kinda likes him. The others despise him. He’s just too rambunctious. I keep telling them they’ll be good friends someday. I don’t think they believe me

2 Likes