Unlimited access >

Waps horses ran through Sugarcreek Auction?

I’ve just heard several Waps horses were ran through Sugarcreek Auction as a result of a hoarding situation, can anyone confirm? It’s being said Waps Bently and Waps Moonshine shipped direct to slaughter. Mares and foals were ran through also I’ve been told…

I’ve admired the breeder for many years (there were two breeders of similar names/breeding). How can that happen.

What a horrible shame!!! Any chance of finding out which slaughterhouse and getting them rescued?

How very sad. I was always a big admirer of the Waps horses. I hope the shipping to slaughter was just a mistaken rumour.

Sadly I’m starting to think it is not merely a rumor. Several people in a Facebook group I am a member of are confirming including a woman who bought one at Sugarcreek and a gentleman who said he visited the property the horses were on prior to them being auctioned. I hope it is rumor but it doesn’t feel like typical Facebook scuttlebutt.

It’s been confirmed. Copper Horse Crusade was there, has photos of the horses at Sugarcreek. The account being given by several people is that only ones offered for sale were the foals/youngsters. Waps Moonshine, Waps Bentley, mares and others were headed direct to slaughter.

1 Like

That is an absolute travesty.

2 Likes

Think they’ll show at New Holland? Or Cranbury?

Callista, not entirely sure but I doubt it. It is my understanding the two stallions, the mares (some in foal) and the older horses were direct shipped to slaughter. Gone already. The babies that were offered for public sale, some were bought privately and some a horse trader now has. If you are interested I have his contact information and can pass it along to you via PM.

A man who is a “friend of a friend” of the breeder that did this looked at the property as he was considering buying it. Was told the entire herd was being “shipped overseas”.

Oh no, what a horrible end for the horses and for the woman who spent her life breeding her horses before her untimely death. I remember it being discussed on CoTH years ago when she died. This is why I have never bred horses. I’d go bonkers worrying about their demise.

If anyone hears that any of them were pulled out of the kill pen, please put it on CoTH. I could buy a couple and keep them.

I’d like to know the name of the owner/breeder who shipped them off to slaughter.

8 Likes

WWW I tried to message you but your inbox is full. No adult horses were pulled or even offered to the public I’m told, also told they have already been sent to slaughter. I hope this proves untrue but the “boots on the ground” person I’ve spoken with is adamant they are gone. There are foals available.

1 Like

Odd situation. Normally horses at auction just go to the highest bidder. No sense selling to kill buyers if you could get more money. Only thing I can think of is somebody deciding dead is better than the unknown) - but that usually doesn’t mean slaughter.

2 Likes

I’m curious what the reason the herd was sold off. Was the farm in foreclosure or was it divorce sale? I too don’t understand why they would sell directly to a killer when auction or even advertising them would have made more profit.

2 Likes

Not really. Has been known to happen with TB in the past. Sometimes people think if they shuttle the horse off to the kill buyer quietly and nobody sees it at the auction, nobody will know what they did.

6 Likes

But why? Presumably these weren’t broken down and in need of retirement and/or lengthy rehab periods. Add color into the mix and they would be a piece of cake to rehome for much more money than direct to slaughter.

7 Likes

What a crime. what I do not understand is why they were all not offered for sale? Mares in foal?? Oh God.

2 Likes

This is purely speculation on my part, nobody I’ve been in contact with knows the “why”, but I’m guessing the horses were meant to disappear quietly and quickly. I’m strictly making a wild guess. It makes no sense to me. That’s why I asked here, I figured somebody might know the situation and be able to clarify.

2 Likes

That is the only photo I’ve come across so far. I do not know the identity of the horses.

That is so heartbreaking. Those poor horses. A tragedy too for breeders because those were good bloodlines that are hard to come by.

If anyone is considering giving those poor horses a soft landing please PM me and I can send a dribble through Paypal.

3 Likes

What a sin and a shame. Back east, you can’t lay hands on a WAPS appy for love or money. Those horses would have fetched some decent money here. I always loved the WAPS line and I haven’t seen one locally in 20 years. I was literally standing in a barn having this exact conversation with my farrier on Tuesday.

This makes me ill. :no:

7 Likes