Unlimited access >

Waps horses ran through Sugarcreek Auction?

What a waste and those poor horses :frowning:

1 Like

Look at all of that color! That’s terrible and heartbreaking. The horses would have brought more money being offered for sale. Do we know who did this?

Yeah me too, the whole breeding thing. Unless I intend to keep it, I’m not doing it anymore.

1 Like

I figured someone here might know who was responsible? Wasn’t WAPS Moonshine standing to the public until recently? And weren’t him and WAPS Bentley at the same farm? I really can’t remember, was thinking someone here might know. Maybe over in Sport Horse Breeding?

1 Like

Here is a quote from Sonesta on an old thread.

"She could go to an Appaloosa stallion that is Wap Spot 2 bred but several generations back. We sold Waps Moonshine as a stallion and he is producing phenomenal babies. He is by Wap Spotted, who was a Wap Spot 2 son.

So, bred to Waps Moonshinel, the foal would not have Wap Spot 2 on the sires side until 3 generations back. That’s decent line breeding."

3 Likes

The farm that this post is about is T Square Farms. The only connection they had to JG Appaloosas was they had bred two or three mares to JG stallions in the past and they purchased Waps Bentley from JG.

There has been attempts to get animal control to investigate T Square for mistreatment, starvation, no medical treatment for at least the last 5 years. There had been attempts by the owner to sell some of the young stock on the internet. The photos showed stunted, wormy, starving youngsters. Her prices started at $500.00 each and as time went by the price dropped to $100.00 each. But, when you continue to run mares, stallions and the young they produce together, you soon end up with more horses then you can feed.

From my understanding, T Square is not who sent all these horses to auction. The horses were sent to auction by the sheriffs department who seized the horses. This is just the last (hopefully) of many horrors that have happened on this farm.

2 Likes

Again, such a waste there wasn’t an advocate for these horses that the Sheriff’s Dept. thought that putting them through a kill auction was the appropriate thing to do. I had thought long and hard about buying Moonshine when he was a baby at JG. Disgusting.

4 Likes

I googled them and they were both gorgeous. I do not understand this, were these stallions owned by a breeding farm. Someone said something about a hoarding situation, but I am confused. these looked like quality horses. and what color.:cry:Edited to add. just read appdreams post. How very sad. :frowning:

Fat Cat Farm, you are mistaken, Waps Moonshine was by Wap Spotted and owned by Sonesta at birth. T Square purchased him from her.

He was not from JG Appaloosas breeding program.

This just makes me want to cry. What a sad waste. I’ve coveted a Wap for years.

1 Like

I suspected that was the farm in question but was not 100% sure because the man who had been to the farm before the horses were sent off (and was vaguely told they were being shipped overseas) declined to name the farm. He was under the impression the owners were selling the farm and liquidating the horses themselves. He was actually there because he was considering purchasing the farm, but ended up deciding not to. T Squared did have WAPS Moonshine also, correct?

If the horses were seized by the Sheriff’s Department as part of a cruelty/neglect case, it’s possible that the only legal way they could be disbursed was via public auction.

1 Like

Could be. It was years ago. All I know is I liked him and thought about it for some time. JG and Cheryl Moats (who had Wap Spotted, if I am remembering correctly) were producing some wonderfully colored, good-sized Appaloosa Sport Horses. There weren’t many then, and even less now, breeding sporty Apps with color and size.

What I’m wondering is if TSquare Appaloosas was in West VA ? , how did the horses wind up at Sugar Creek in OH. Or is there a different Sugar Creek Livestock Auction?

1 Like

There were 20 TB mares that T Square was going to send to auction a few years back. I think it was in 2015. Some good hearted person was purchasing hay to feed the horses at that time. She convinced the owner to allow her to try and rehome them. Some were rehomed and some were returned to the organizations that they were adopted through. Some of those mares were in foal.

At that time, T Square would not allow any of the Appaloosas to be rehomed. At that time, it was reported to have in excess of 40 Appaloosas on the farm. That is the number of Appaloosas reported to have been recently seized. No one will ever know the number of horses that died on the property in the last few years.

1 Like

I wonder why the older horses were not auctioned to the public though? I am hearing from several people that the adult horses were direct ship to slaughter, no public bidding, including the two stallions. Only foals were ran through. Some were bought by private buyers, a group of them went to a kill buyer/flipper who is selling them. I’ve been talking to a woman who is supposed to pick a couple of foals up from him today, she is supposed to let me know how it goes when she gets back with them. No idea if there is any paperwork on the foals or if they are being sold as grade.

Sugarcreek Auction was the nearest auction to the property. T Square located in the NW part of West Virginia.

They were at Sugarcreek in Ohio. I’m told the horses came from West Virginia. Somewhere near Moatsville if I’m not mistaken.

Most likely due to libillity issues. These horses have been running in the mountains for about 10 years. Unhandled, with little or no human interaction.

They are some being sold today at Sugarcreek. Waps Moonshine is supposedly among them. Waps Bentley has been reported as dead for a few years.

2 Likes

That’s the address for the farm I saw too. It’s about 200 miles between the two. Just interesting that the Sheriff’s Dept. allegedly sent them that far and across state lines. Such a tragedy. :frowning:

What a huge shame. I found this old Stallion directory for Waps Bentley.

http://archive.equiery.com/2008Stall…apsbentley.htm

1 Like

OP I will get my messages cleaned out this weekend. Aggghh, I can take a couple of the old horses if anyone finds them. Foals, yikes? I would have to get a trainer. Back to you this weekend. I was thinking about a couple of old feeble mares who needed a retirement home or even an old stud. Foals, well, would have to get them trained.

I remember the original WAP breeder’s ads in all the magazines and those TB bloodlines. When she died and the horses were dispersed, someone on CoTH had a few of the adult horses for sale. I hope all those horses died natural deaths before these horses since a trip to a slaughterhouse is a long and painful experience and horrid death.

1 Like