Unlimited access >

We need jingles

My horse got a wire cut just below her pastern on her front leg. She developed infection in her coffin joint and navicular bursa.

She’s been at the vet hospital for just over a week now. They flushed the joints and have her on antibiotics. The infection is responding to treatment. While she is walking better than when she arrived there, she’s still lame. They have seen no improvement in level of lameness in several days.

Today the vet said he’s worried she has developed adhesions in the bursa and she will never get more sound. I don’t know what that would mean for her.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

6 Likes

So sorry. I have not dealt with it but I’m sure this is very hard to be facing and I wish you and your horse the best.

5 Likes

Jingles & AO ~ for your mare ~ ((hugs)) laced with extra strength and patience for her worried owner ~

9 Likes

Sending Jingles for your mare.

3 Likes

I sure need it. I know he has to give worst case but I wish he hadn’t texted that and then nothing.

7 Likes

🩷

2 Likes

So sorry you’re going through this. Sending healing vibes.

3 Likes

Yes it’s serious and scary but you have to be brave for your mare and reread that part about “the infection is responding to treatment” ; walking better.

She’s where she needs to be and that leg must be exhausted ~ time and more time ~ be patient ~

Stay present ~ don’t play what if ~ as Caitlin Clark says “be present where your feet are”

7 Likes

All the jingles and hugs your way.

2 Likes

I did wonder if the repeated flushes plus the fact she still has a cut is a factor. I wish he had called to talk to me rather than text that then disappear. He’s probably had a busy day or an emergency come in but it left me with questions and worry.

4 Likes

@dacasodivine
That leg has to be Sore ! Exhausted ! and Weak !

Keep your spirits up ~ get rest ~ and remember the improvements points ~ Jingles & AO ~

2 Likes

Lots of jingles for your mare.

2 Likes

Jingling for your mare :heart:

2 Likes

Lots of jingles for your mare and you.
It’s amazing what they can come through and recover from though. I had one hospitalized for two months after a nasty wire cut. There was no guarantee he’d be sound again. He was. I got 20 more years out of that leg. It had to be managed and developed issues from time to time, but we showed successfully (AQHA rail classes) and he lived a happy life.

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience. It gives me hope.

We do need continued prayers and jingles they clear the infection up and she comes home soon so we can both start our recoveries.

8 Likes

Jingles for your mare!

3 Likes

Jingles for you both! Take a deep breath. It’s the vet’s job to tell you worst case scenario. Know that you’re doing everything possible for her & the rest is up to the universe. In times like this, I like the Tom Petty lyric, "“Most things I worry about never happen anyway.” Better days are ahead - think positive :blush:

5 Likes

Many jingles. How very worrying. Please keep us updated.

3 Likes

Jingles for your sweet mare and hugs for you. Hang in there. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Jingles and hugs! One week is a very short time, the vet did his job giving you the worse case scenario but let’s stay positive and give her time to heal

2 Likes