Unlimited access >

WEC and USEF Kiss and Make Up

There is that tiny airport, but it seems to have no direct flights from most of the major hubs.

Maybe one of the airlines will realize how many people are coming to the area and start running directs from NYC, DC, Chicago, etc. Flying into Orlando kind of sucks because of the Disney traffic.

2 Likes

Gawdā€¦I really agree with you about the direct flights. I donā€™t know. I went over to WEC tonight to get a piece of tack and it honestly creeps me out. I know HITS is ugly, but it feels like a horse show. In the evening at WEC, among the screens, the white hotel, and lines for the bars, and that creepy lollipop store, I canā€™t figure out where I am. Disney? Abu Dhabi? Mega Meggachurch? The barns are lovely and cool, but the rest I just canā€™t get my head around. Lucky for them I appear to be in the minority. :laughing:

7 Likes

There are sadly no commercial flights to Ocala airport, connection or otherwise. Right now it operates solely as general aviation with private planes. Seems like there is some kind of movement to bring limited commercial flights in as Ocala grows, but could be a few years until that point.

Iā€™m sure regional carriers would love to come into Ocala from the major airline hubs, but the current non-commercial status is a decision by Marion county govt and airport management.

Yes, they do give out crosses. They donā€™t force anyone to take them. They are available in baskets throughout the facility for those who would like one. Yes, the logo has a cross on it. Again, nobody is forcing anyone to buy any logo wear or to even be there. Yes, thereā€™s a chapel. Itā€™s beautiful and open to anyone. If you donā€™t like it, nobody forces anyone to go to it.

One of those crosses has been helping my SO deal with the unexpected death of his daughter, and weā€™re forever grateful to the Roberts family for having them. They are quite beautiful. I understand they may not be for everyone, but again nobody is forced to join in.

I find their faith to be refreshing, personally. But we can agree to disagree.

13 Likes

Interesting, I could have sworn it had commercial flights but maybe I just thought that because they have car rentals (or shuttles) there.

The drive from Gainesville isnā€™t too bad, but it still would be nice to have a commercial flight.

Maybe I should get a pilots licenseā€¦. Another expensive hobby I could take up :rofl:

When I first started at WEC Ohio when it opened- theyā€™d have baskets of candy, fruit, granola bars and peppermints.

One time I grabbed some peppermints and then popped a delicious looking cookie from a basketā€¦ā€¦

Yeah it was a cross. I actually mistook it for a cookie :joy:.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s wrong with giving out crosses? Itā€™s a privately owned facility is it not?

7 Likes

Hereā€™s the problem. Itā€™s a nice gesture to make people think they are good people. Unfortunately they donā€™t follow through. Most of the locals figured it out already.

1 Like

Some people just have faith and arenā€™t using it as some sort of tactic.

I really think going after someone because of their faith is very tacky. If you donā€™t like someone or something, give actual reasons why.

7 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry about the death of your SOā€™s daughter. It awful in any circumstances, but sudden and unexpected makes it that much harder to take in. :cry:

1 Like

You kind of are though with the mileage rules. I do not think religion has any place at a sporting even sponsored by the USEF or any national governing body. I also find it very distasteful to use religion to promote a business.

Letā€™s not turn H/J shows into rodero where you arenā€™t welcome anymore if youā€™re not conservative christian and every event needs to have a ā€œministryā€ attached to it.

16 Likes

You might want to read the post youā€™re responding to again. @atl_hunter said you arenā€™t being forced to go to chapel. :roll_eyes:

You also arenā€™t being forced to go to one show or another. You can always stay home, save a lot of money and not be offended by some crosses.

9 Likes

My point is that you are forced to attend specific venues unless you want to travel long distances.

You probably think this is no big deal as you belong to a protestant christian church and live in an area where thatā€™s the predominant ethnicity and overt displays of religious affiliation are normal. To someone who is not Christian and does not come from a place like that itā€™s extremely off-putting and sends a clear message that I am not welcome there, nor are people like me. The dismissive answers in this thread just reinforce that message.

Nationally sanctioned sports events should be free of religious/ political imagery.

28 Likes

Well for goodness sake donā€™t go to any rodeos. Or NASCAR. They actually PRAY. Out loud, over the loudspeakers, in Jesusā€™ name Amen.

Seriously, nobody is forcing you to be there.

And I donā€™t go to church.

10 Likes

Nothing technically/legally wrong with it, of course, just not my preference so they wonā€™t get my money. Simply stating my opinion, just like they are putting out the crosses! Its America either way you look, free enterprise, free to complain!

8 Likes

I love, WEC and love all the personal touches, like the free wood crosses. I keep one in my kids show coat. It gives me a tiny bit of peace when they ride.
Havenā€™t set foot or spent a penny at hits since WEC opened. Never will. To many memories of mud, not getting prize money for weeks, people using roads in front of tents to bath horses while rigs go by. Horses getting hurt in the tents. Isles so narrow you canā€™t turn a horse around. Coffee a mile away. The list goes on and one.
The wooden WEC cross reminds me of all Iā€™m
Thankful forā€¦WEC being one of those.

8 Likes

Well, you arenā€™t in Ocala. You could just go to HITS. And no one is forcing anyone to show in equestrian sports. Plus, a large majority of their clientele is coming in from out of town. So if you are someone wanting to go south and donā€™t like WEC, just go to WEF or Aiken or Gulfport. Itā€™s not like they are the only choice.

And while Iā€™m not who you were responding to, Iā€™m not a Protestant Christian. And Iā€™ve been to plenty of businesses and events that were hosted by people with very different views and religions than me. Sometimes people have different beliefs than you; you have to be able to be tolerant and understanding of those people.

Iā€™m assuming youā€™d never go to a Jewish deli, a Islamic wedding, a Buddhist retreat, or a Christian College sports game?

This is their business. They may run it in any way they wish. They could require us all to wear pink tutus and proclaim our love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Itā€™s their business and if you donā€™t like their practices; donā€™t attend.

13 Likes

Exactly. There are plenty of businesses that display their faith. One of my favorites has a Buddhist shrine just inside the front door, you canā€™t miss it as you walk in. The money I pay with has ā€œIn God We Trustā€ written on it.

I donā€™t understand this intolerance of seeing other peopleā€™s religious symbols or words of faith.

10 Likes

Honestly, I was there for a whole week and never had to use anything but a pristinely clean air-conditioned restroom that was always within a 2 minute walk of my locationā€¦ not a porta potty or even moderately unclean bathroom in sight. I will take that every day of the week, along with the amazing pastries from the bakery and enormous sandwiches from Ralphā€™s.

6 Likes

I have to say, I had not even noticed that. I had to go looking for it just now.