Unlimited access >

WEC and USEF Kiss and Make Up

That does indeed sound pretty appealing, especially the bathroom!

2 Likes

Protestant?! :roll_eyes::laughing::rofl::joy::joy: Hardly.

I couldn’t care less if they had a mosque on the showgrounds, since you aren’t being forced to attend. It’s just there if you’d like to. The crosses are there if you’d like one. Again they aren’t being pushed on you.

6 Likes

Yeah no one is trotting after you on horseback going “do you have time to talk today about our lord and savior Jesus Christ?”

It’s prominent enough that if you are someone that finds solace in faith, you know where to go. But they certainly aren’t out to indoctrinate anyone.

I would have a bigger issue if this was a publicly funded facility (but it’s not).

11 Likes

I was at WEC last week and literally never noticed any of the religious stuff

Either it wasn’t very prominent or I am just super oblivious.

We stabled at HITS and oh my gosh we had major bathroom envy once we saw the ones at WEC
it’s the little things that make it easier that really add up.

6 Likes

I did not notice much of the low-key religious stuff, but there is a chapel there on the grounds not far from the big hotel.

I believe they also hold services in the chapel on Sundays that anyone may attend, although I have not been to one.

1 Like

I think it’s a nice option for religious folks that may be working and unable to leave the grounds.

I wouldn’t attend ( I won’t be there in any case), but I don’t have an objection to other people having the option to go to church if they choose.

5 Likes

If they saw my warm up
 they may start
 (or should?) :hugs:

35 Likes

No. Originally, the Roberts family offered to buy or partner in HITS Ocala. That offer was refused, so Roberts built WEC.

That’s my understanding, anyway.

Horse shows have been a secular activity for years. In the last decade, Christianity has entered the western performance horse industry with a vengeance. Larger events have “cowboy church,” and there’s a general feeling that if you’re not Christian, you’re an outsider. Never thought I would see religion (Christianity) making its way into the hunter/jumper industry. NO ONE ever mentioned religion back in the day. If you were at a horse show, it was a given you weren’t in church!

9 Likes

Hopefully that won’t happen here. Surely they are smart enough to know that the horse world is made up of people from many different religions, agnostics and atheists. H/J, Dressage and Eventing included.

2 Likes

I’m am showing at WEC Ocala for the winter. I love everything about it
top of the list: clean bathrooms, Huge wash stalls, manure gets put in bins and hauled away, huge matted stalls with fans, lovely bridle paths
I could go on and on.

I am not religious
I ride by the chapel on my way to the show ring and I “pray that I find the perfect distance”
sometimes it works!

22 Likes

Trying to see if anyone has any ideas on this without starting a separate thread:
What’s going on Winter 2023? Is it still NSBA? Is it USEF? Does anyone have any idea? I’ve talked to people who thought the USEF at WEC thing was about other shows during the year, not the winter circuit. I’ve talked to someone else who was all like “Well next winter it’ll be USEF sanctioned” – to which I would wonder what’s being done about the mileage rule and HITS, in that case.

My barn is thinking about coming down in January and we want to get housing and stuff locked in early but it’s hard to plan without having really any idea what’s going on. I’m assuming we just take the dates off of what happened last year and apply it to the same position on the 2023 calendar? I can’t find anything other than dressage at WEC on USEF’s winter calendar and NSBA doesn’t go that far in advance that I can see.

I know stalls will go on sale around October 1, so certainly something will be said before then, but I’m reticent to wait months with no other plans made.

Any thoughts on this would be so appreciated!

I thought it was just me and that I had been oblivious to it twenty to thirty years ago. I cringe at some of the things I hear small town rodeo announcers say.

3 Likes

I’m 110% sure they’ll run the full 12 weeks. Whether they are USEF or not remains to be seen based on whatever requirements USEF will use to select their sanctioned shows. Why they don’t sanction both WEC and HITS is beyond me - there are more than enough people attending both places and maybe HITS would actually do some real improvements if they had competition.

1 Like

Has anyone else heard the theory that, not downplaying personal religions convictions of the Roberts family, both WECs are “religious institution properties” (like a Texas Cowboy Church that has one hour of church service and 5 hours of roping on Sunday), and therefore are granted all sorts of tax breaks including Real Estate taxes?

5 Likes

Interesting. I know nothing about tax law so it’s entirely possible I’m wrong, but it seems like that sort of information should be publicly available to confirm/refute if it’s registered as some sort of “religious institution” versus a standard commercial property.

I don’t have a major problem with them offering church services or crosses on the basis of their own religious convictions as long as it’s strictly optional for others to participate, but if by doing so they’re managing to avoid paying their share of taxes and getting advantages not available to a “secular” horse show facility, that’s sketchy AF.

6 Likes

I mean
 there’s a chapel on the property in FL, so that’s definitely a possibility. However, I think the whole buildout is going to trump the religious property aspect. This winter, we were on like phase 3 of 10 for that campus. So it’s going to be quite the compound when it’s all completed.
Things like “waterparks, jet ski lakes, etc” have all rumored to happen or be in the works
not to mention the second hotel and polo grounds
 and the retail space in front is already starting to build out from foundation.

Oh, boy.

On the showgrounds? Or on other property in the vicinity?

I’ve heard he has been buying up land left and right in the area, so it sounds like he has room to put up whatever he wants.

Near or on the grounds was what was mentioned. It changes on the daily
 At this point, I’m pretty much expecting to have a roller coaster over the grand arena by the time it’s all done. Maybe I shouldn’t suggest that in case they’re reading this! LOL

Ugh. I’m not likely to be showing there any time soon as I’m primarily an eventer, so my opinion is probably not relevant to anyone 
 but I’m going to say it anyway. The horse facility part of the property does look very nice, but turning a horse show facility into some kind of knockoff Disney World adds nothing to the sport and just makes us all look even more like a bunch of spoiled, lazy rich people with no real responsibilities in life who “just sit on horses”.

3 Likes