Unlimited access >

WEF Equitation Finale, Link to Video in Post #72

Zayna’s really going to have to go for it to win!

Test wasn’t very exciting. These kids are good. Could use a little more of a challenge.

My call:

1. Natalie
  2. Zayna
  3. Dominic
  4. Alexander

Natalie and Zayna were so close after the first two rounds, but I think Natalie was smoother.

1 Like

Natalie really turned up the heat there.

I think her inside turn for the counter canter was smart and slick. The turn going all the way around that jump looked harder to hold IMO

1 Like

Loved Natalie’s ride. Thought Zayna’s counter canter was a bit rough - her arm was working against the horses mouth not with it. Little conservative to the hand gallop jump as well. We’ll see how it looked in person versus online.

1 Like

Congratulations to all of the riders and especially Natalie Jayne for beautiful riding.

They seem like wonderful kids

Congrats to all of them! This class is a big deal, especially with that format.

Last week when there was commentary for the Ronnie Mutch class at Thermal, the commentator said that warming up an appropriate amount of time and jumping an appropriate number of fences was a factor. So enough preparation but not too much; I had the impression that that aspect of the warmup score was partially horse welfare.

That may be the case, but I think that’s a very tricky thing for a third party to gauge. Some very experienced older horses might need just a few jumps, while others need a lot more. So it’s hard for someone else to judge the warm up on that basis when they don’t know the horses.

For anyone who missed the class, the video should be posted on the Showgrounds Live/WEF site before too long.

3 Likes

Here’s the link to the video of the class:

1 Like

And the Chronicle write up:

Does anyone happen to have the course map for the second round of the class? I looked for it on the WEF website, but I could only find the courses for today. .

Heritage posted Andre’s take on Natalie’s win. He also mentioned that the test in the second round called for a simple change of lead, not necessarily to the counter canter.

I think doing something “illegal” with the flags on the standards, or jumping an offset/swedish oxer in the the warmup, etc. - if they didn’t jump with red flag on the right and just switched directions without switching flags, then they’d get the -2.

Very possible, but ouch. That would be a tough way to lose points off your score.