Unlimited access >

We've acquired a barn bitch - help!

On March 31st, a friend of mine moved out of the barn and was replaced by someone I’d never met. This girl walked into the barn with her morbidly obese warmblood, looked at my mare on the cross-ties, and began our first interaction with “God, does [barn manager] even feed these Thoroughbreds?”

I was annoyed, but all I said was that we were trying to put weight on her. My horse is a high-energy OTTB with a fairly heavy workload; she has muscle, but we’re working on fat to hide those ribs a little better.

New girl then asked, “So she’s off the track? Did you get her by yourself, or did a trainer really suggest that one?” There was ridiculing of my horse’s high withers, followed by the derisive question, “She really doesn’t have the best conformation, does she?”

I am piiiiiiissed. I love my horse. My horse has pretty decent conformation in my opinion; at the very least, good enough to come away sound from five years of racing. This same girl, in fact, commented on a video last week and said she liked her. I told her to leave my horse alone and she acted like I was the hostile one.

Everyone who knows her says she has a big mouth and doesn’t know enough about conformation to judge, but they’re surprised that she treated me like this. She apologized after I told the barn manager, but she rolled her eyes the whole time. She’s continued to be really goddamn annoying and condescending about the fact that she was schooling 3rd/4th level dressage with her horse before said horse blew both hind suspensories. And honestly I’m going nuts. I try not to let this crap bother me, but the barn is supposed to be a place where I don’t feel stressed.

Ugh! Advice? Other than “ignore her”, because I’m trying to ignore her but she’s still pissing me off.

[QUOTE=dontskipthecafe;8090346]
On March 31st, a friend of mine moved out of the barn and was replaced by someone I’d never met. This girl walked into the barn with her morbidly obese warmblood, looked at my mare on the cross-ties, and began our first interaction with “God, does [barn manager] even feed these Thoroughbreds?”

I was annoyed, but all I said was that we were trying to put weight on her. My horse is a high-energy OTTB with a fairly heavy workload; she has muscle, but we’re working on fat to hide those ribs a little better.

New girl then asked, “So she’s off the track? Did you get her by yourself, or did a trainer really suggest that one?” There was ridiculing of my horse’s high withers, followed by the derisive question, “She really doesn’t have the best conformation, does she?”

I am piiiiiiissed. I love my horse. My horse has pretty decent conformation in my opinion; at the very least, good enough to come away sound from five years of racing. This same girl, in fact, commented on a video last week and said she liked her. I told her to leave my horse alone and she acted like I was the hostile one.

Everyone who knows her says she has a big mouth, but they’re surprised that she treated me like this. She apologized after I told the barn manager, but she rolled her eyes the whole time. She’s continued to be really goddamn annoying and condescending about the fact that she was schooling 3rd/4th level dressage with her horse before said horse blew both hind suspensories. And honestly I’m going nuts. I try not to let this crap bother me, but the barn is supposed to be a place where I don’t feel stressed.

Ugh! Advice? Other than “ignore her”, because I’m trying to ignore her but she’s still pissing me off.[/QUOTE]

So you didn’t ask her if she was planning to sell her steed by the pound?
Or showed her where best to park her broom?

I am proud of you!

BTW, words spoken without intend are not an apology.

The phrase “well, bless your heart” seems like it would be fitting here, along with turning around and continuing whatever you were doing before she walked up.

Learn to say, “oh wow, did you know you were saying that out loud?” in your most concerned voice. It’s amazing how quickly that makes most people think before speaking.

Oh man, I know that hurt :frowning: I’m sorry she said those things about your horse. Who cares what her conformation is like- obviously she suits you, since you bought her, and that’s all that matters.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any way around these feelings except to go through them. Feel hurt, feel indignant, vent. You are totally justified. And then move on, and ignore her from here on out.

Blew both suspensoroies? Either her horses conformation is no good or her training is no good or her horse was too obese, so why listen to anything she says?

When my boy came off the track you could see his ribs for about a year. You couldn’t see them with the saddle blanket on so I didn’t worry about it too much.

According to John Kohnke, who is an Australian vet. It is only humans who want their horses fat all year round. In nature they lose weight over winter and it is us keeping them fat all year round which is contributing to Cushings Disease - And aren’t you just coming out of winter?

It is very true the saying. “It is fine to have a fat tb in your paddock but it is your own fault if you cant ride it.”

Boiled barley is famous for giving an apple rump and not going to their head. You can add some rice too if you wish.

Relax. Smile and you can ride your horse and she can’t while it is injured and if she doesn’t change why it happened, it will be out again.

There is also the saying that ‘noone is as good or as bad as you first think they are.’ - and she did comment that she liked her on the video.

You can learn something from everyone. You don’t know what you will learn from her but it might just be how not to act when you first meet someone.

As an instructor we were taught to love all horses.

The best revenge is to be a good rider and have a wonderfully behaved horse, have that as your goal. It sounds like you might have achieved that goal already but we can keep learning and improving…so can she.

I’m just kind of taken aback that anyone would so openly mock someone’s horse to the person’s face. If I’d asked for conformation critique, I would have accepted a politely-stated opinion, but this felt like a slap in the face. As I’ve said to a couple of people, you can insult me all day, but I take slights against Skip seriously.

And for reference, this is my horse when she was on the track in July 2014: http://i.imgur.com/4KddSuw.jpg. Her conformation is decidedly not bad (she has flaws, but literally everything does), and I admit that’s part of why I’m so pissed off!

From what you’ve written, it doesn’t sound like she’s easily avoided. Avoid her the best you can. Try to breathe and let it go. When she says something dumb/annoying/hurtful, I’d go with “Well, bless your heart,” and if she continues, I’d trot out “Do you realize that what you’re saying is a little mean/condescending/hurtful?”
Sometimes just coming out with the truth of the moment is enough to stop someone in their tracks.
Weirdly, I’ve had success dealing with annoying folks by preempting them with a kindness. As in, I see That Girl and I might call out “Love your shirt!” and then breezily pass by. Even if I don’t love the shirt. It catches them off guard and sometimes lessens their interest in you. Plus, I kind of dig the subversiveness of killing someone with kindness.

How’s she bred? She reminds me quite a bit of one of my mares :slight_smile:

Some people have no filters. Some people are just mean. Some people have no social sense and don’t see how their verbal diarrhea is offensive.

There are a lot of reasons why she might have spouted off why she did, but they’re all really totally unrelated to you and your horse. I know it’s hard to shrug off comments that feel like such an outright ATTACK, but it really sounds like this was a wrong time, wrong place type of scenario, rather than something directly at you personally.

Chin up! You’ve got a lovely horse and a crazy lady in the barn :lol: I love UrbanHennery’s idea for dealing with her! Adopt some quick comebacks like that and don your armor when she’s there.

And I just saw her photo. Wowee! She looks like a gorgeous machine!

[QUOTE=Alagirl;8090353]
So you didn’t ask her if she was planning to sell her steed by the pound?
.[/QUOTE]

LOL, yep, I’d say that unlike warmbloods TBs don’t come from a history of eating what you ride when they get too old to work. Or compliment her on her nice halter-bred quarter horse. Seriously, there’s nothing you can say, just ignore her.

Eh, phooey! I’d just smile and enjoy my horse.

I had a lovely 15 hand Morgan who I boarded at a really nice place full of huge warmbloods. Several ladies always referred to my fellow as “The Thelwell Pony,” and made fun of him. He was the size of most of the yearlings there.

I had more fun with that horse, loved him and didn’t care for beans what those snooty people thought.

[QUOTE=rockymouse;8090405]
And I just saw her photo. Wowee! She looks like a gorgeous machine![/QUOTE]

Right?! I love the way my horse looks, so along with being pissed off, I’m quite confused.

She’s by Skip to the Stone (Skip Trial) and out of Cafe’ Latte (Kipper Kelly). http://www.pedigreequery.com/dont+skip+the+cafe. I really like her lines, I’ve heard that the Skip Trial line is very sound and the Kipper Kellys make good sporthorses ^.^

I’d just throw out a “You know you’re actually saying stuff out loud, right?” And smile and walk away.

I think your horse looks just fine. She’s been off the track less than a year, right? She doesn’t look emaciated in the pic you posted, and I’m going to guess you’ve added some muscle and fat to her, so I wouldn’t listen to that girl. Maybe she’s just grumpy about her horse being injured, and she’s taking it out on the world. Or maybe she’s just mean. Just let it slide off your back. Its nothing personal, but I get how its hard not to take it that way.

Dontskip- You are the one showing class, she isn’t.

If you ignore her she will find another target to pester if you gain her respect she won’t tear down your horse but she ‘won’t go away and leave you alone’ and you really do not want that now do you?

I always ignore crap like that. For 2 1/2 years at one barn, I was told daily by the “expert horsewoman” BO that I “could not have picked out Callie myself because Callie had perfect conformation.”
I couldn’t decide what to say since BO was insulting me, but saying Callie was perfect. Yes, Callie was an OTTB mare, but one with perfect conformation. Not as big as my German WB though. BTW, warmbloods tend to be very easy keepers, so owners are always having to put them on diets. (He has great conformation too, and he is part TB of course.)

I never critique anyone’s horses to anyone. But I’m always amazed at the BOs and horse owners who criticize others horses when their own horses have much worse conformation than the horses that they are criticizing.

BTW check out her warmblood’s credentials. Many people claim to own WBs but really don’t. People call just about anything a WB. There are a lot of great looking crossbred horses, but not all are WBs.

Wow. This chick was riding 3rd-4th Level??
I wonder…
She sounds like an advanced beginner! you know, when riders reach that stage that they’re thinking they have this whole horse thing all figured out (after all, they haven’t fallen off lately, and they know their diagonals, and maybe even know how to canter, occasionally even recognizing the lead!) It seems that that is the stage that the mouth can’t help but opening to show off just how MUCH knowledge one has. It’s only once the rider has moved on quite a bit in experience that one realizes just how much s/he doesn’t know yet.

Hmmm. Lovely withers for sidesaddle!!

How old is she? (Or maybe it doesn’t really matter.)

I’ve seen a lot of insecure people walk into barns and try to prove that they know things. So they point out every horse that’s a little underweight, or one time they heard a trainer say, “She really doesn’t have the best conformation, does she?” about a small bay OTTB, so they echo that to try to sound smart.

I’ve seen the same thing happen under saddle. Riders getting particularly harsh with a horse and picking fights to show how “good” they are.

Sometimes these people come around in time. Kill them with kindness is your best option if this is the type you’re dealing with.

I’m really sorry. Your barn is supposed to be a peaceful haven.

Pish posh, your horse is super cute and this girl just sounds like a miserable person. When people criticize my horse, I just say, “Well, I guess it’s a good thing you don’t own him then!” and move on. Not every horse suits every person.

And, really, who cares what someone else thinks of her conformation? That’s just the kind of thing that is what it is. It’s not like you built her in your basement. :wink:

[QUOTE=FineAlready;8090445]
It’s not like you built her in your basement. ;)[/QUOTE]

It would be really awesome if we could do this, though.