Unlimited access >

What do want to see in your local tack shop?

More pony and cob sized items. A wider selection of smaller bits (again, for ponies and small horses). This is the A#1 reason why I do most of my shopping online.

Smart and “educated with products” sales staff ~

adding … in a serious way ```

Smart and “educated with products” sales staff :yes: essential for a ‘good’ tack store ~ IMHO

You can’t fool nor should one try to fool a horse owner :eek::lol::winkgrin:

Know how to fit things! I visited a not so local tack shop recently for a new helmet and they were useless at actually fitting the helmets properly. The first was far too big and slopped about on my head and the second was so tight, it left a red mark on my forehead in the few minutes I had it on.

I like a good selection of bits. Rugs, too. Nothing like needing a new turnout rug and not being able to buy one locally.

What I’ve bought at my last tack shop visit…
Farriers fix hoof ointment (actually going to buy some more today too), Tuff rider ribbed schooling breeches, a Charles Owen helmet (specifically went to the shop that I knew had a bigger helmet selection and staff who really know their stuff), neatsfoot oil, bucket of treats, fly spray, rwr hairnet, gloves.

The last things I’ve bought online? Tall boots- because I already had the exact pair (the time before I bought them online too but because it was such a ridiculous sale on totd), half chaps, those same riding breeches, saddle pads. (I would have bought another saddle pad in the shop itself as well but MrB and my wallet were both looking a little fatigued at that point.)

Things I like to see are small Horsey gifts (like the idea of grouping things together as an easy grab present, and making a deal if you buy, say, hairnet, gloves and hoof polish (or whatever) all together. Something where they’re likely to buy 2 of the 3 anyways, but if they go for the third it’s a few bucks cheaper than buying that third item a month from now. Who knows where the customer will be a month from now, get them now while they’re inside!) I’m also a fan of merchandising things creatively but keeping them easy to shop. Use some of your big items in your displays (a tack trunk turned cornucopia of bathing supplies, bits, horse treats,…)
I don’t know how most people do tack trunks, but it seems like an item that I would be okay with/expect a few weeks turnaround time. I think it’d be nice though to have one or two (very different looking from each other) trunks on display in addition to samples of the different stains/hardware that can be chosen. That way people can see the handiwork, and what the colors will actually look like from the samples. And sell your display trunks if someone wants one right now! :slight_smile: In my clubhouse/golf shop pretty much anything that isn’t nailed down is for sale, and surprisingly we sell a ton of it, and ALWAYS as impulse buys (they’re integrated within the displays/items obviously for sale, and it usually starts with them saying, “Oh that’s a cute X, I wish that was for sale!” “It is!”) . Prices range from $30 (wooden decorative ducks, of all things) to $500 (wooden filing cabinet with glass display on top). We’ve even had someone ask where we bought the huge leather couch and if they could order one new from us! Our buyer mentioned something about the decorative accessories not having to be counted/considered in inventory, and selling them out allows you to keep that sort of thing fresh. Not sure how well that incorporates, but man it makes people more willing to part with their money whenever you can say, Sure!!

If you can special order things having them drop-shipped to their house with no extra charge is a positive. If I have to come back to pick up a special ordered item it feels like a hassle.
A return policy that doesn’t limit your customers to store credit is a plus as well. We have one tack shop that only does store credit and I find I only buy consumables that I’ve already tried out rather than things like clothing (I’m usually coming from or going to the barn and don’t have the time or am covered in grime and don’t want to try on a bunch of things) because of that.

I know it really depends on your demographics… One tack shop I go to is very much a boutique with boutique prices :wink: very cute decorative accessories but $$$… Then again they’re right around the corner from a show facility that brings in the clientele with that money to spend. Not sure they’d have THAT many people buying if they didn’t have the location next to the venue (ie someone spending over a grand in a weekend to show has $100 for a picture frame, you know? Plus they’re there for a vacation/money spending time, not passing through on their way to the grocery store.)

Sorry for rambling :wink:

I’m another one who doesn’t buy a lot of “tack” at local tack shops. I like my leather goods from a particular company, and being a minority discipline in my area, I just am used to ordering what I need. What I DO want from a local tack store is a good stock of “consumables”- supplements, good quality bandaging supplies (last year when my gelding broke his pelvis and the vet ordered standing wraps to support his leg with the extra weight bearing, a set of decent NoBow bandages and proper standing wraps was not available locally! I was told to use polo wraps… Look! We have vetrap! Woohoo! ), and things like that…

Anything plus size, particularly breeches and show coats. I love Asmar Equestrian and the Fuller Fillies boots. Not sure if FF stocks in stores. I buy mostly in store except my clothing because I can’t find it expect on smartpak and Asmar. I like to buy books and instructional dvds as well. If you can offer something by a local artist or designer like tack trunks, jewlery, etc. that can be sold through the store that might bring in customers that are looking for something unique. I buy mainly from mid-level stores, like Dover, occasionally from higher end stores for big items like helmet, saddle, boots, etc.

Not sure how the lesson scene in your area is, but I’ve seen tack stores offer a “starter kit” for beginner riders that includes a helmet, breeches and paddock boots. If the beginner scene in your area is big, you can let the barn owners know you offer this and have them steer the kids to you.

SCHOOLING BREECHES! I’m tired of only seeing the $100+ breeches. Stock some Tuffrider or something!!

Stuff that the people that use your barn will want to walk in and buy should be your first market. A mother that walks in to buy her lesson taking daughter a new pair of half chaps is likely to pick up some treats and other gifty stuff while she is there. Add that a lesson kid begging mom for a $5 mini bag of treats is more likely to get a mom to buy than if you only offer the big bag that the average mother can not imagine storing for weeks.

Buy things in colors that match the colors of your local barns.

What I would like a tack shop to carry is bridle parts. Cob cheek pieces to replace the horse cheek pieces on my bridle, etc.

Keep them coming. . .

Thanks again guys! Your recommendations have been great, I do have a few questions though.

About schooling breeches, in hunter land we tend to school in Tailored Sportsmans and other euroseat knee patch breeches, like Equine Couture. The price point on the Tailored’s is obviously not in the budget for a lot of people, and they are very strict about discounts etc. . . The Equine Couture breeches are in the $70-$100 range which is better, but not cheap by any means. . . We will also have Tredstep which has a breech below $100, Romfh which is close to the same price point, F.I.T.S which are not inexpensive but quite flattering and not so low waisted, Ovation and Tuff Rider. . . I see that a lot of people here like the inexpensive Tuff Rider ribbed schoolers, but I never see people wearing them. Is it just not a “hunter thing?” We have several dressage and eventing barns nearby and I want to make sure we have something for everyone, to an extent. I don’t want to miss out on sales entirely because we don’t have $50-$75 breeches.

About plus sized clothing. . . I can get breeches and jackets, show shirts are a bit of a problem. . . I can also get boots for wider calves. I realize that this area of the market is still not addressed as well as it could be, but what we can sell is quite limited. I’m really not sure how much to carry.

About blankets, because we will be somewhere cold. . . How many different blankets do you expect to see? They take up a ton of space, but not having them isn’t an option. . . Would displaying one of everything we carry, then having the rest in the stockroom work for most people? We would obviously not mind the blankets being removed from their packaging to be measured or looked over etc. . .

Thanks again for all of your help! Can’t wait to see what else you guys suggest!

[QUOTE=cllane1;7742649]
Not sure how the lesson scene in your area is, but I’ve seen tack stores offer a “starter kit” for beginner riders that includes a helmet, breeches and paddock boots. If the beginner scene in your area is big, you can let the barn owners know you offer this and have them steer the kids to you.[/QUOTE]
I was going to suggest the same and echo the other points on knowledgeable sales staff that knows how to fit.
My biggest gripes with my local tack store: 1) the salespeople shadow you around and ask if you want help every 2 minutes, very annoying! 2) sign says “saddle shop” but no saddles; 3) bridles only $150 & up, no basic schooling bridles; 4) no waterproof turnout sheets, apparently only in the winter even though very close to the coast where even summers are cool and damp; 5) agree with RolyPoly below, I ended up buying large kids size riding tights because they were $25 cheaper than the adult ones.

Wherever possible, have a range of price/quality options.

For example, I recently went in to buy a lunge whip. I hate the feel/balance of the cheap lunge whip, but last time I bought the $$$ whip it broke within a month or two. But those were the only two options the store had. I ended up buying the cheap one, since the $$$ was a proven waste of money, but if the store had had a mid-range option, I would definitely have bought it–and the store would have probably made more money off me.

Same with tack – I have a nice quality bridle, but I hate the noseband. Not so much that I’m going to spend time online trying to find a replacement, but certainly enough that if I walked past a non-crank, decent quality part noseband at the tack store, I’d buy it immediately. Unfortunately, all their part nosebands are inches-wide, crank monstrosities that look like they could swallow my horse’s face whole and possibly eat an unattended child as an afterthought.

I get that the stores are limited in how much stock they can have on hand, but every once in a while I’d like to see some sort of options between $ and $$$, and a nod or two to the fact that not everyone is always in love with the current trends and would like some other (but not junk) options.

Don’t forget the Loss Leader technique to get customers in the door. I keep thinking about your response to the request for cheap fly spray. It seems like a perfect candidate for that technique. Price it low so it is the same or less than your competitor’s price. You won’t make money on it, but it is an item which people use often and if you are losing money on it, limit purchases to one bottle per customer. I can’t tell you how many times I have come in to buy fly spray and left with other stuff which I suddenly remembered I needed, or just cool impulse purchases, and even though I logically know that it is only five cents cheaper at Feed Store X, I will still go out of my way to buy it there. The trick is, you must always keep it cheaper so people can count on it and make a habit of frequenting your store.

Small hole hay nets!!!

There is a serious lack of tack stores in my area. The feed stores do have some “supplies” that I buy regularly (shampoo, hoof dressing, fly spray, brushes etc) - but none of them carry small hole hay nets. Hate having to wait for mail order!

Just adding - its one thing I really really wish my feed + supplies stores (won’t call it tack, like many of my local feed stores they carry halters, supplements, fly control, blankets, buckets etc - but not tack) would carry. I would buy them, even if they cost considerably more than online (because my mare always destroys hers!)

And Trubandloki - my boarding barn will feed in the net - just have to tip the hay guy :wink:

Yes!

But only if you want your boarders to want to use them. Laugh.

[QUOTE=fmftrainer;7742959]
Thanks again guys! Your recommendations have been great, I do have a few questions though.

About schooling breeches, in hunter land we tend to school in Tailored Sportsmans and other euroseat knee patch breeches, like Equine Couture. The price point on the Tailored’s is obviously not in the budget for a lot of people, and they are very strict about discounts etc. . . The Equine Couture breeches are in the $70-$100 range which is better, but not cheap by any means. . . We will also have Tredstep which has a breech below $100, Romfh which is close to the same price point, F.I.T.S which are not inexpensive but quite flattering and not so low waisted, Ovation and Tuff Rider. . . I see that a lot of people here like the inexpensive Tuff Rider ribbed schoolers, but I never see people wearing them. Is it just not a “hunter thing?” We have several dressage and eventing barns nearby and I want to make sure we have something for everyone, to an extent. I don’t want to miss out on sales entirely because we don’t have $50-$75 breeches.

About plus sized clothing. . . I can get breeches and jackets, show shirts are a bit of a problem. . . I can also get boots for wider calves. I realize that this area of the market is still not addressed as well as it could be, but what we can sell is quite limited. I’m really not sure how much to carry.

About blankets, because we will be somewhere cold. . . How many different blankets do you expect to see? They take up a ton of space, but not having them isn’t an option. . . Would displaying one of everything we carry, then having the rest in the stockroom work for most people? We would obviously not mind the blankets being removed from their packaging to be measured or looked over etc. . .

Thanks again for all of your help! Can’t wait to see what else you guys suggest![/QUOTE]

Can you go visit the other local barns and just see what you see people wearing? That might help you feel more comfortable about what you should stock?

With blankets - if you are willing to have them out of the package and get a fresh one from the stock room anyway, what about actually having them on some sort of blanket rack so it is easy to look at them and people aren’t constantly opening packages? I think I’ve seen a rack where the blankets hang full length on hinged things so you could page through them like one of those poster displays? That might be less space needed and less work dealing with unfolded blankets. You’d just have to sell the display ones at a discount every so often since they’d be more handled and not ‘new’ any longer.

I personally think wider calf boots shouldn’t even be considered a plus size thing. Maybe it is because I grew up in Pittsburgh, but whatever my weight my calves have always been huge relative to boot sizes. I would go out of my way to drive to a store that had a good range of boots that I could actually try on. (I have short legs, too, so half the time the size that is big enough around for my calf is also way way too tall. Argh.)

I’d for sure try to keep a good selection of plus size breeches on hand - everyone needs them and they get worn regularly so they wear out or it is easier to justify getting an extra pair in a cool color or style because you know you’ll wear them. I think with jackets you could more get away with having less in hand as long as you can order something quickly - so you could have a range of sizes but not every color or model in all sizes. That way it is possible to try things on to see what size you need, and also see what the colors look like in person. You just might not be able to walk out the door with the size color combo you want that day?

I grew up riding at a place that had a loft that had become a tack store (and is now it’s own store), but they made a killing off of paddock boots/helmets/helmet covers/schooling breeches. Kid is running late, laundry isn’t done, etc - parents would just buy a $30 or $40 pair of breeches for the kid’s lesson.

There’s been an explosion of tack stores near me recently (outside of just feed/western tack stores - it doubled from 2 english stores to 4!) and I love, love love their consignment sections. Even if I don’t need anything, if I’m in the area, I’ll always stop by and see what they have as a deal… and because I don’t know what inventory is likely there, it’s a bit often. I’ve also been known to impulse purchase lots of pairs of gloves at the same time.

I tend to buy less leather goods at the local tack shop, because the ones that have existed had either old (srsly, one gal is still trying to sell brand new miller’s and crosby stuff, over retail, with maybe $5 off once a year sale) or super nice but out of my price range stuff, but that’s been changing recently. I do love finding a good deal on leather bridles and whatnot at a store, b/c even the supposedly decent quality stuff online has been crappy lately.

Maybe a rental section for things that are nifty, but I’m shy about shelling out for? Bit rentals, Micklem bridles, any new trendy thing.

The big thing that I come across in terms of tack and apparel is that usually the local shop only carries a narrow range of brands. Like for example, they have only a couple kinds of Troxel helmets and only two or three brands of breeches.

I realize this is due to the tyranny of the cost of inventory and the nature of how distributors operate.

But the reason I would take the time to drive out of my way to the tack store is because I want to be able to try on helmets, or breeches, and find a good option that fits me and is in my price range.

If all you carry is BrandX breeches, I can pretty much guarantee I will not come back to your shop a second time for breeches absent a Breeches Emergency because either:
A. BrandX breeches don’t fit me and never will or
B. BrandX breeches fit me great and I will just order another pair online, unless your store is on my way somewhere else.

But, if you have different brands in different cuts, and I can compare them in person, then coming to your shop to look at breeches is fun and educational, and if I find Just The Thing I’ll probably buy it even if I wasn’t committed to getting a new pair at all.

Same is true for helmets, times 10. I’ve literally driven hundreds of miles to a tack shop because I expected them to have a selection of helmets… and was disappointed, walked away empty handed.

I don’t know how you solve the problem of the investment in inventory, though. Maybe part of the solution is to advertise what you have specifically, if you can have the technology to do that, and possibly what you can get in what time frame. Like, if I know I need white breeches and I’m size 32 and you don’t have any in stock at all, that would save me a trip… or maybe I could call on a monday and by Thursday you could have some to be tried.

Minimizing disappointment means I’m much more likely to come. I just don’t know how you do that in a way that is affordable and fair and practical to the tack store owner in situations where you don’t have huge demand and traffic (like at an enormous urban show and boarding venue).

If you have lesson barns in your area, having simple kit to get them running - breeches, paddock boots, helmets - can be affordable to stock and get people in.

Otherwise, the basics like buckets, fly spray, etc, that everyone needs and keeps needing, may be a better bet.

I would suggest a few cutesy, trendy things in addition to standard stuff. Bridle charms, saddle pads, snap collar show shirts with the contrast fabric, bright polo shirts. You can also make those hair tie/bracelet things with horse print on them yourself for next to nothing. Stuff that I wasn’t really planning to buy but catches the eye. Brands like MBC and Annie’s Equestrienne come to mind. Just a small sampling of this type of stuff adds some flair to a tack shop.

Higher Standards leather care has also been a big hit. A couple jars of would be easy to place in a basket near checkout.

[QUOTE=fmftrainer;7742959]

Thanks again for all of your help! Can’t wait to see what else you guys suggest![/QUOTE]

You need to check out Devon-Aire’s new Signature line of breeches. These things are getting rave reviews and we have many people telling us they like them better than the TS. They are super comfy and stretchy, soft and retail for only $99! And they come in some cool colors! Also coming out in full seats for a retail of $119. Next spring they are coming out with a washable, water repellant jump coat that retails for about $120.
As a sales rep, there are several things I have learned from the different stores I visit.
One is to stock deep. My successful stores order full runs and the customer knows that they can come in and find what they need. It is frustrating to visit a store that doesn’t have your size, especially if you drove a long way.
Second, if you stock really cheap products, chances are, they don’t last long. There is one company in particular (who now sells to Walmart and Sears…so much for supporting the local business owner) that is known for selling really cheap/inexpensive clothing. But the store has to sell 2 of their items to make the same amount of money on one product of another company that also sells inexpensive (but not cheap). So they have to stock more of the cheaper product, when they could stock one of the other. There is a name for this, but I am brain dead and can’t think of it off hand.
Good luck!