Unlimited access >

What do want to see in your local tack shop?

[QUOTE=fmftrainer;7742959]
Thanks again guys! Your recommendations have been great, I do have a few questions though.

About schooling breeches, in hunter land we tend to school in Tailored Sportsmans and other euroseat knee patch breeches, like Equine Couture. The price point on the Tailored’s is obviously not in the budget for a lot of people, and they are very strict about discounts etc. . . The Equine Couture breeches are in the $70-$100 range which is better, but not cheap by any means. . . We will also have Tredstep which has a breech below $100, Romfh which is close to the same price point, F.I.T.S which are not inexpensive but quite flattering and not so low waisted, Ovation and Tuff Rider. . . I see that a lot of people here like the inexpensive Tuff Rider ribbed schoolers, but I never see people wearing them. Is it just not a “hunter thing?” We have several dressage and eventing barns nearby and I want to make sure we have something for everyone, to an extent. I don’t want to miss out on sales entirely because we don’t have $50-$75 breeches.

About plus sized clothing. . . I can get breeches and jackets, show shirts are a bit of a problem. . . I can also get boots for wider calves. I realize that this area of the market is still not addressed as well as it could be, but what we can sell is quite limited. I’m really not sure how much to carry.

About blankets, because we will be somewhere cold. . . How many different blankets do you expect to see? They take up a ton of space, but not having them isn’t an option. . . Would displaying one of everything we carry, then having the rest in the stockroom work for most people? We would obviously not mind the blankets being removed from their packaging to be measured or looked over etc. . .

Thanks again for all of your help! Can’t wait to see what else you guys suggest![/QUOTE]

You need to check out Devon-Aire’s new Signature line of breeches. These things are getting rave reviews and we have many people telling us they like them better than the TS. They are super comfy and stretchy, soft and retail for only $99! And they come in some cool colors! Also coming out in full seats for a retail of $119. Next spring they are coming out with a washable, water repellant jump coat that retails for about $120.
As a sales rep, there are several things I have learned from the different stores I visit.
One is to stock deep. My successful stores order full runs and the customer knows that they can come in and find what they need. It is frustrating to visit a store that doesn’t have your size, especially if you drove a long way.
Second, if you stock really cheap products, chances are, they don’t last long. There is one company in particular (who now sells to Walmart and Sears…so much for supporting the local business owner) that is known for selling really cheap/inexpensive clothing. But the store has to sell 2 of their items to make the same amount of money on one product of another company that also sells inexpensive (but not cheap). So they have to stock more of the cheaper product, when they could stock one of the other. There is a name for this, but I am brain dead and can’t think of it off hand.
Good luck!

I don’t expect a shop to match online retailers but like them to be able to get within reason of them, at least if asked. I went to my local shop a week before “helmet awareness day” to shop helmets because I would be away and off the grid on they day. Shop owner was my riding instructor 40 years ago, so I’ve know her for ages and like to give her my business. The poor woman was swamped. She must have had 40 helmets out of boxes and out of the stockroom. I was the only person who bought a helmet in the hour or so I was there. (I ran into some old friends and gabbed for a long time.) Since I’d told the shop owner of my plight, she offered to give me the “helmet day” discount, plus a bit extra off for actually buying from her, not going to an e-tailer after using her to find the size.

If you are in an area with a lot of beginner oriented barns, you may want to reconsider consignment, but keep it limited. The above mentioned shop has a consignment area about 8’ by 8’, with the wall double hung with breeches below coats and show shirts. Boots are on the floor. She accepts only a limited amount of tack items which are hung on a wall. (Some bits and strap goods etc) Half chaps are in a basket. She does a booming business in consignment clothes to local beginners who are not yet ready to invest in new and re-riders on a budget. She knows what sells and is very selective in what she accepts.

Generally, I’d advise that you always have in stock the stuff that either walks away (brushes, bug spray, halters, hoof picks) in a tiered array, good, better, top of the line. Also, stock the need in a pinch items like first aid or easy boots saddle pads because the day before a show is no time to discover that your horse took a bite out of your nice fitted fleece pad at the last show.

If I were opening a shop, I might look around to see if I could partner with a local craftsperson or two. A good carpenter might be able to do tack or grooming boxes or other barn needs and you could serve as a conduit to the horsey community for him. Similarly, someone doing horsey jewelry or memory pieces etc. You could display their wares and get a pre-determined commission on referrals.

I’ve noticed that horsey home stuff is best kept to small stuff and table top items (mugs, picture frames, note pads etc) and typically do best during the holidays when barns to secret Santas and riders look for gifts for barnmates etc.

There is only one brick and mortar store that I really enjoy shopping at within my state…

And it’s because of personalized service (she will order something if she doesn’t have it. Important when I have a weird sized horse), has saddle fitting, and has sales/discounts.

I know it’s goofy of course, but give me a good excuse to go dig through a clearance pile or a coupon or whatever and I’m there to go spend money…

There are always people there when I go to the store.

Compare that to the closest tack store where the prices are so much higher than online and the selection very limited…not so much inventory moving.

[QUOTE=Lori T;7743768]
You need to check out Devon-Aire’s new Signature line of breeches. These things are getting rave reviews and we have many people telling us they like them better than the TS. They are super comfy and stretchy, soft and retail for only $99! And they come in some cool colors! Also coming out in full seats for a retail of $119. Next spring they are coming out with a washable, water repellant jump coat that retails for about $120.
As a sales rep, there are several things I have learned from the different stores I visit.
One is to stock deep. My successful stores order full runs and the customer knows that they can come in and find what they need. It is frustrating to visit a store that doesn’t have your size, especially if you drove a long way.
Second, if you stock really cheap products, chances are, they don’t last long. There is one company in particular (who now sells to Walmart and Sears…so much for supporting the local business owner) that is known for selling really cheap/inexpensive clothing. But the store has to sell 2 of their items to make the same amount of money on one product of another company that also sells inexpensive (but not cheap). So they have to stock more of the cheaper product, when they could stock one of the other. There is a name for this, but I am brain dead and can’t think of it off hand.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

Loss leaders?