Unlimited access >

What do you feed your event horse?

Just out of curiosity I would love to here what others feed their horses. My horse is 16.1, 9 year old, about 1200 lbs, and 1/2 TB, 1/4 WB, 1/4 QH. He is not would I would classify as a hard keeper but not an easy keeper. He lies somewhere in the middle but leaning towards hard keeper especially in the winter. In work about 5-6 days a week at training level.

Here’s what I feed him:
AM

• 2.5 lbs. Nutrena SafeChoice Preform
  • 2 lbs. pelleted beet pulp soaked for about 12 hours
  • 1 lbs alfalfa hay cube soaked
  • a handful of chopped alfalfa/timothy hay mixed with
  • 1/4 cup of rice bran oil
  • 2 scoops Farrier's Formula Double Strength
  • 1 scoop Mega-Mag (multi-vitamin to balance out calcium phosphorus ratios from alfalfa and beet pulp)
  • 1 scoop SmartFlex II Support Pellets
  • 1 scoop apple-a-day electrolyte
PM
  • 2.5 lbs. Nutrena SafeChoice Preform
  • 2 lbs. pelleted beet pulp soaked for about 12 hours
  • 1 lbs alfalfa hay cube soaked
  • a handful of chopped alfalfa/timothy hay mixed with
  • 1/4 cup of rice bran oil
He also gets about 1/2 a bale of regular good quality grass hay from our local hay man a day, 3 flakes of alfalfa hay in PM, and is on 24/7 turnout on fairly good pasture. A few days before shows, clinics, or any other travel/strenuous thing he also starts getting Probio and continues until about 2-3 days after.

This is what he is getting now and probably until it starts to cool off. His winter feeding regime involves feeding 3x times per day and larger amounts of pretty much everything.
What do you feed your horse?

The tears of our forefathers plus about a pound of OMG STOP KICKING YOU ATE ALREADY AND YOU’RE FAT.

I have a 21 yr old OTTB who gets twice a day:
2 cups (literal measurement) of Timothy Pellets
2 cups of SafeChoice Senior
1 cup oats
Plus a bucketful of fermented alfalfa.

He’s also on Smart Senior Combo and Smart Bug Off Ultra.

He’s turned out 24/7 on 15-20 acres of good grass.

My 8yo OTTB gelding (very hard keeper) in very regular work (I work him every day, mostly flat work with a lot of hacking):

Ultium (2 scoops x AM and PM, one 3qt scoop is approx 4 lbs, so total of 16 lbs/day)
Free choice grass hay/pasture in spring and summer
MSM

Fall 2015

Yesterday

My fairly easy keeper (14.3h QH/draft x pony) gets twice a day:

1/2 lb Triple Crown 30
1 lb Legends Carbcare Show & Pleasure (or whatever they’re calling it these days)
Orchard grass hay

Mine is a 9yo TB and gets

AM: 4lbs Triple Crown Complete
PM: 4lbs Triple Crown Complete and one scoop of Lung EQ

Plus free choice salt, and is out on pasture/coastal hay. I think he looks pretty good on that… he’s fit, not fat, shiny, and has good muscle tone.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13164179_10156846807310641_8892633833080789017_n.jpg?oh=24c53042c99b1e5e4dfad548a491e935&oe=57DE0F11

My PSSM Type 2 mare gets 1 scoop of Nutrena Fuel and 5cc KERx Nano E AM and PM. She is in regular work schooling prelim. Though we aren’t actively showing right now because no money :frowning:

Holy crap! I don’t go to that much trouble to feed my husband. Our two TBs (15 & 30 years old) get alfalfa, alfalfa pellets & senior feed. When I remember.

Yeah, I think there is certainly a variety of definitions of easy/hard keeper…
My perch/tb cross lives out full time on 70 acres of good grass. He could probably use a muzzle but is a Houdini. Every year we try.
I feed him a very small scoop of ration balancer once a day along with a smartpak gut supplement as he can be ulcery.
In winter he may get 2 scoops of ration balancer, free choice hay.
He’s in 6 days a week work at Trainng level and has bottomless energy.
I’ve had other crossbreds and a beefy warmblood going prelim on essentially the same program. Sometimes more concentrate in winter.

Lord have mercy, you all have easy keepers! Vic gets 8 pounds a day of Nutrena Fuel and 2 pounds a day of Amplify and as much grass/hay he can eat.

CindyCRNA, your signature line made me LAUGH. Ha ha!!!

TBs, 16.2-17 hands, 1200+ lbs, novice to prelim they all get 9lbs of oats split into 3 feedings, unlimited TA hay. Unlimited meaning they have fresh hay available all the time. Outside 24/7. Unless weather is really bad.
Supplement biotin and MSM and salt licks.

[QUOTE=PaintedHunter;8654717]
The tears of our forefathers plus about a pound of OMG STOP KICKING YOU ATE ALREADY AND YOU’RE FAT.[/QUOTE]

Oh hey, that’s what mine get too!

Toby is not an easy keeper. Even now at maintenance for basically a pleasure horse he gets 2lbs Fibergized Omega and 4oz of Cocosoya oil twice a day, plus a mountain of hay when he is in, and about 5-10lbs of alfalfa once a day (sometimes more, because I spoil him and throw it at him whenever he bats his gorgeous eyes at me).

At the height of his eventing career, while galloping once a week, going prelim, and hoping for a one star (and we were probably both stressed out of our minds, hind sight being 20/20) he got 12lbs of Fibergized Omega a day, spread out through 3 or 4 meals. Plus all he could eat hay in his stall, alfalfa, and 8oz of Cocosoya oil a day. He was HARD to keep weight on, and I fought for every pound I got on him. His travel buddy, a big TB going advanced, got about half as much feed.

This was the first winter where I didn’t have to play a massive game of catch up to get his weight and topline back. But it also wasn’t as brutally cold, so that helped!

[QUOTE=yellowbritches;8655848]

His travel buddy, a big TB going advanced, got about half as much feed. [/QUOTE]

Said travel buddy was also on the lushest pasture of his life that year and was ‘hunter’ round at the Fair Hill 2*.

When we moved to another barn the following year and the pasture was overgrazed, I had to start pouring more calories into him. :cry:

[QUOTE=Divine Comedy;8655859]
Said travel buddy was also on the lushest pasture of his life that year and was ‘hunter’ round at the Fair Hill 2*.

When we moved to another barn the following year and the pasture was overgrazed, I had to start pouring more calories into him. :cry:[/QUOTE]
He was a little portly that year. And the horses LOVE that swath of pasture that grows along this side of the mountain! You should have never left :wink:

[QUOTE=UnlacedDreams;8655816]
Oh hey, that’s what mine get too![/QUOTE]

It’s a great plan. A side of my coffee isn’t yours goes well with this regimen.

[QUOTE=PaintedHunter;8655927]
It’s a great plan. A side of my coffee isn’t yours goes well with this regimen.[/QUOTE]

I’m partial to adding some leave my pop-tart alone and stop biting my butt pocket while I’m cleaning your hooves there are no treats in there.

[QUOTE=UnlacedDreams;8656147]
I’m partial to adding some leave my pop-tart alone and stop biting my butt pocket while I’m cleaning your hooves there are no treats in there.[/QUOTE]

Good supplements for sure. For some good coat shine, try some take my drink and fling it.

Mine is in full work, with lots of conditioning miles 2-4x a week. Coming 8 y/o TB post track 2 yrs.

He gets:
Full 24/7 turnout
Free choice round bale
2 lb Poulin Fibre-Max AM/PM

And that’s it. Presently, he doesn’t need anything else. He is sleek, in great condition (a little meat over the ribs, but not much) and fit.