Unlimited access >

What do you guys think about this type of trailer for me??

The nice lady at the dealership sent me this description of a trailer she thinks might work for me. I can’t figure out exactly what type of trailer it is exactly(straight/slant/?) so I was wondering what you guys thought about it. She says it will work for one big horse or two regular horses but I will mostly be towing two big horses.
Here is her email:

"I just got in a REALLY INTERESTING all aluminum trailer that would accommodate a large warmblood horse perfectly or two regular sized ones, or it would be a great mare and baby trailer.

Anyway, it is 7’2" tall, 6 ft. wide, floor mats,torsion axles (the best kind) with room to make a small dressing or tack compartment if one wanted to. It is 13’ long in the box. 4-wheel electric brakes, etc. etc.

It is a stock type trailer in that there are no windows but has an air space about 9" wide about 6" down from the roof or thereabouts. The air spaces would start at about the shoulder of a large horse with the front part solid around the curve of the front of the trailer where the head and neck would be. Oh, this sounds complicated. It has a round nose. It has an escape door on the one side. One could enclose the air spaces with plexi if desired to enclose the trailer.

This trailer is ALL aluminum so it would last someone forever and still look good. It is a 1996 model and looks new. I have never had one like this before and because it is not so big and bulky and a bumper pull I think it will sell pretty fast. It is registered until sometime next year."

What do you guys think? She is sending me pictures today. Are all aluminum trailers safe? It is also about double my budget!

Reality check time here, Chanda. You are the customer. You are not obliged to buy anything from this lady if it doesn’t suit you and your horse.

As I said before, I am not a fan of all aluminum. I might consider one of the better brands (i.e., more expensive) if I found a feature I couldn’t live without and couldn’t find anywhere else. But I would not get one of the cheap aluminum trailers under any circumstances. They just don’t hold up and are NOT safe. The maintenance/repair guy at the dealership JB bought her trailer from & I had a long conversation on this very point. He called it cowboy flash or some such term. Looks over substance. I know you are feeling frustrated but the right trailer WILL turn up.

PS - You can finance a brand new, more upscale trailer from any dealer, if that’s the route you want to go.

The front

I will keep on looking (most likely with Barbara’s help!).

I also emailed Kinston and Heacock and will see what they say about prices on new ones (doesn’t hurt to ask!).

Thanks everyone!

My trainers mum has a wonderful straight load Featherlite that I would dearly like.

Featherlite

And she rides a Clydesdale x TB cross and a Shire X TB cross that are both over 17hh

I think hers is this model 2 Horse Straight Load

The side

That’s what I bought (Adam) that I was describing earlier! Love the trailer to pieces and know many people who own Adam trailers and love them. They have tons of options so you can customize them and quick turn around time for building - I got mine within 4 weeks!

The nice lady at the dealership sent me this description of a trailer she thinks might work for me. I can’t figure out exactly what type of trailer it is exactly(straight/slant/?) so I was wondering what you guys thought about it. She says it will work for one big horse or two regular horses but I will mostly be towing two big horses.
Here is her email:

"I just got in a REALLY INTERESTING all aluminum trailer that would accommodate a large warmblood horse perfectly or two regular sized ones, or it would be a great mare and baby trailer.

Anyway, it is 7’2" tall, 6 ft. wide, floor mats,torsion axles (the best kind) with room to make a small dressing or tack compartment if one wanted to. It is 13’ long in the box. 4-wheel electric brakes, etc. etc.

It is a stock type trailer in that there are no windows but has an air space about 9" wide about 6" down from the roof or thereabouts. The air spaces would start at about the shoulder of a large horse with the front part solid around the curve of the front of the trailer where the head and neck would be. Oh, this sounds complicated. It has a round nose. It has an escape door on the one side. One could enclose the air spaces with plexi if desired to enclose the trailer.

This trailer is ALL aluminum so it would last someone forever and still look good. It is a 1996 model and looks new. I have never had one like this before and because it is not so big and bulky and a bumper pull I think it will sell pretty fast. It is registered until sometime next year."

What do you guys think? She is sending me pictures today. Are all aluminum trailers safe? It is also about double my budget!

The stock trailer aspect doesn’t bother me at all. We use stock trailers for horses all the time here in Texas, as the open air flow can be a blessing in our heat and we don’t get snow. So, a stock trailer should work fine for you in So. Cal.

But, for someone in a cold weather area, the openness is not a great thing to have in the winter!

The inside

(I don’t think this one will work for me but I thought I would post the pics anyway)

I’d pass on this one … I’d get one that’s at least 7’ wide.

Also, exactly how large is your horse? And more specific - how long is he? If he’s really long, I’d look for a straight load, as I think they have a little more room in those. If he’s just a beefy 16.2, you should be fine in a 7’ x 7.’

However, it never hurts to go look! If it’s a funky sort of trailer that won’t be a quick resale, but will suit your needs, you might be able to swing a deal!

Robby

Chanda,
It sounds like a stock trailer, possibly with a “gate” that you can use to make a “tack” area in the nose. If you are that concerned about your horses touching each other, then I would pass.
I purposely bought a stock type with a fully enclosed dressing room so that I would have the capability of hauling extra horses and didn’t have to worry about the size of the horse. My trailer has a 12’ box area, is 7’ tall and 6 1/2’ wide. PLENTY of room for two large warmbloods if I needed it. I could easly haul three horses if I choose, also.

Most of my friends have bought stock type trailers that are longer than mine and taken out the dividers so their horses can be more comfortable and they can fit as many horses in as possible.

You will also find that most horses will choose to ride slanted when they are in a stock trailer and only tied at the head.

I have been following your trailer search posts and wish you luck in finding the right trailer in your budget. It’s hard and frustrating, I have been there. I had to let my hubby buy a 4-wheeler so I could get my new trailer(of course he didn’t realize at the time that was my intention for letting him get it!).

Portia, the openness is okay if you get Lexan (sp?) or plexiglass to cover the openings for the cooler or colder weather.

Plus’s with that trailer is that it is open and airy.

Negitives include, IMO, a too large opening on the sides. That’s big enough for a hoof and leg to get caught in. The fenders appear to be sharp, not smooth, and ripe for tearing flesh if a horse is tied there or bumps into it and three, the aluminun skin is on the “outside” of the frame. I wonder if that would “pop” off if a horse bumped it hard enough on the inside. My steel trailer’s skin is on the inside, next to the horse and the “frame” is on the outside. Here’s a link, http://www.cmtrailers.com/dakota.htm , to the style I have though mine is smaller, a 2 horse slant, and has some features this basic model does not. Notice the “frame” is on the outside, compare it to the one your looking at and you’ll see my concern.

A friend just bought a steel, bumperpull Featherlite, Model 5146 in the 5000 series and it is a nice trailer for the $$$.

SLW

something we saw this summer at an event-tall-with air vents above the horse’s heads on the sides—dressing room in the front. Blast, I can’t remember what the name was-post a picture when you get it, and then I can see. If it is what I was thinking, I really liked it-perked right up when it drove in, and then, being me, I went and introduced myself and investigated

“If you haven’t gotten where you’re going,you probably aren’t there yet.”-George Carlin

I don’t feel obligated to buy from this lady I just don’t want to miss out on something that might work for me. I missed by one day last time and it was the biggest mistake I have made.

In my head I know exactly what I want but in reality, I probably will not find it. I want to try to keep an open mind about different types of trailers. The things I will not let slide are safety, size and dividers so this trailer might not work for me. I am just not sure if it has dividers yet.

I looked at prices for new trailers and they were around $10,000 for a basic model in the big size that I need. I am still paying off the loan we took out to buy my horse and I just don’t have any extra money coming in to make more payments on anything. I can’t even afford this trailer that the lady emailed me about.

Well, I will keep looking. Thanks guys!

I dont have an aluminum but I just bought a 16 foot 7 foot tall 6’6 wide will haul four big horses stock type horses are 17+ hands plenty of head room and length wise. My trailer has the slats but I am thin and cannot get my arm in through them. It has 5.5 sides on it solid rear door double brake axiles and spare tire for 4000.00 They built it for me brand new and I got to pick the color. The alumium skin trailers new will run you more but the two horse stock like mine will be cheaper. About 3000.00 and that includes a tack area. If I knew how to post a picture I would show you.
Let me know if you need more info

Actually, 6’ wide should be no problem at all. My trailer is 6’ wide (external measurement, so in actuality about 5’10" inside measurement) and I can fit two large horses without any trouble at all - 16.2 1300lb TB and 16.2 approaching-1200lb Old. Since it’s a stock trailer, I would assume it’s a straight load. Yes, if this were a partitioned slant load, the 6’ width would not be enough for a fairly large horse.

Chanda, it sounds like this trailer is well worth taking a serious look at - the 7’2" height is great, and there doesn’t seem to be any problem with the length either.

He has some brand new 2001 Circle J Riatas for under $5000!!
He is closing out on the 2001 models.
Two horse, dressing room, too many things to list Chanda.

Call him at (604)857-8837

It also included mats and kick liners on the inside to prevent horses kicking and denting it up.

…you may want to open up your search more, and you may find the perfect trailer for your Jumbo horse and his Jumbo buddy.
I hope your friend knows how much you are sacraficing so that her horse may go to shows with you.