Unlimited access >

what do you wear to do your barn chores when its really cold

I wanted to compare notes. Maybe someone has that perfect “outfit” for doing barn chores in this cold.

I myself have a one piece snowsuit with suspenders, a turtleneck plus a tee shirt under that, a warm fuzzy neck band (whatever you call those), a heavy jacket and warm hat. But I need a better hat when its bitter cold like its been lately. Also, don’t really have warm gloves that you can work with, that is, opening gates, oopening doors, putting lead ropes on horses to lead them in or out. Haven’t found the best boots either, that are comfortable, but not too bulky or heavy, and need something that is easy to slip on and off. I usually do take off my jacket and gloves once I start cleaning stalls.

Lets hear what you all are wearing this winter.

I’m actually thrilled with the Black Stallion “Fuzzy Hand” gloves I picked up for about $10 at the feed store! They kept me toasty warm even through the long stretches we’ve already had of subzero temps this winter. I love my Bogs muck boots with smart wool ski socks.

I have to wear layers, one piece is just too hot when I do more than walk around.
I wear jeans and over them insulated pants with a whole leg zipper on the outside.
If terrible cold, -0F and below and the wind blowing, I may have some long thermal tights on also.
Regular socks and then thick wool socks in cheap rubber irrigation boots.

On top, if very cold, long thermal turtleneck, long sleeved shirt, a hoodie, a heavy insulated vest, a heavy insulated jacket and an insulated hood independent of the hoodie and heavy jacket ones.

If out in the wet, rain pants and jacket over that, like driving the bulldozer clearing snow for many hours, where it keeps snowing on me or the tracks kick snow back.
I call that the Michelin man look.

Most times, as soon as I am shoveling snow out of gates, loading hay and doing something active, I get too hot and start taking layers off.
Only driving the dozer or tractor or feeding out of the back of the truck in a blizzard is so cold I need the whole outfit to try to keep from freezing when working out in a blizzard.

I bought Muck Boots at TSC when they had them on sale. They are lightweight, warm, but not bulky. They are also tall enough to keep out the snow, and waterproof. I also bought gloves there but I forget the brand name. My hands always freeze in winter but they sweat in these gloves unless it is bitter cold.

Keeping my hands dry as well as warm is always a hassle when emptying buckets, etc. Lands End Squall gloves have been very good for both. Once it drops below zero I usually have to drop hand warmers in them.

Even with Muck Boots or Bogs I have to put hand warmers in the toes of my boots on the really cold days.

Lol Bluey, I call my Michelin Man look the Stay Puft Marshellow look lol

To achieve this uber glamorous look, one must not be skimpy on the gate latch holey hoof oil stained layers, you know the kind that has hay and sawdust perpetually intertwined in the threads of those fine clothes you figured were ok to wear to the barn just to check on Dobbin.
Probably the most important first layer of this seasonal awe inspiring ensemble is that dingy ol grey cool max tank top that keeps you dry (ha! Not after my husband dried it in the dryer!) Followed by that bright neon green cool max type danskin active shirt, the one that is held together by those wonderfully itchy microscopic pieces of hay,manure, anything barn related. Then on top goes the too small t-shirt that says What Happens in the Barn Stays in the Barn to help those microscopic barn finds really dig their way into your skin so no matter what you do, that t-shirt really helps to hold your first 2 layers 6" higher than where they should be.
Of course you must wear the cute little penguin star snowflake Christmas thermals over the designated Barn t-shirt. Helps heat up the skin and release some unknown substance those awesome bits of hay and whatnot seem to have an endless supply of because being overheated AND itchy is a must Do in order to achieve this sexy getup.
Now before we finish layering the top to the point you might tumble over, you must spend a good 30-40 minutes looking for a pair of somewhat clean thermal pants. But since your darling husband needs to wear 1pair to work and keep 5 extras in the back of both your trucks, you decide to just throw on your full seat breeches that have the ripped seam. Got to make sure we follow the current trend of the non horsey fashionistas out there by sporting a piece of equestrian inspired clothing.
After struggling into those full seats while being careful not to rip the seam more so when you do finally take them to the seamstress she won’t laugh at you and say Aw did someone get too big for her britches? again, you pull on your husbands sweatpants because it’s so much fun to lose your cellphone, chapstick, hoofpick, whatever, down the hole of the pockets and since ALL of his sweatpants come equipped with this magical holes you can choose whatever color you’d like.
Now that you have gotten this far, let’s discuss keeping your feet toasty warm because you know that you’re gonna find that one deep puddle by the gate that hides about a foot of cold cold water underneath its well hidden cap of snow.
First, its important to find socks that will either twist the reinforced grey heel to the top of your foot or slide off your heel and bunch up at your toes. If you don’t have a pair of those or can’t find any, please let me know. I have tons of them, some even with little holes for that third little piggy to pop out and say hello! You’re strangling me .
Next you must find a roll of dryrotted vetwrap that will only peel off triangular pieces so you can tape your handy dandy foot warmers to your arthritic toes.
After piecing together a few shreds of vetwrap, next goes on the wool hunting socks your DH has been looking all over for. Luckily, you’ve hidden them in the gap between the waterbed and its frame so they’re nice and toasty warm.
Then you fill your sweatpants pockets with your inhaler, chapstick, extra gloves, cellphone, keys and mosey on over to the mudroom where you get your first taste of how effing cold -43 degrees really is.
Here you slide on your insulated carhart bibs, buckle them on up and snap tge straps like any good ol farmer would do. This is when you start stretching getting yourself limber for the Boot Struggle, a new dance that only the outdoorsy type will know how to do.
Here’s how to do the Boot Struggle:
First try to hike up your bibs to expose one foot. Kinda loose your balance and crash into whatever furry animal that thinks it wants to go outside with you. Then after yelling GO.LAY.DOWN! in your mean mom voice, slide your toes in your uninsulated rain boot crooked so your boot will look like a broken leg. Say a few obscenities then shake your boot off.
Bend over the 2" that is way past the maximum give of your layers to grab boot. Slide foot in, trip over furry animal. Make Mean Mom Face (gotta have a dance face) because it is furry animals fault you tripped even though they were watching from safe side of kitchen then slide foot in again. Yay! Success! Your boot is on and scrunched at the heel. Woohoo! Good job.
Now do it all again with the other foot.
Once you’ve completed the Boot Struggle Dance wipe your face because all super hot farm chicks must have that perpetual sweaty harrassed look.
Toss on that smelly sweatshirt you found in your tackbox, you know the one with the extra insulation of mouse bedding in the pocket. No need to wash it. It’s gonna smell like horsecrap in a few minutes anyway and it was conveniently there.
So you’re almost ready to go. Zip up a carhart, find the least damp pair of knot gloves, put on a wool cap that’s 2 sizes too small pry a scarf out of tugowarring Dachshunds, wipe off slober and voila! You are ready to go outside and wonder why the hell do you have horses.

For super cold days I start with a base layer of polypropylene double layer thermals, top and bottom. Then add two pairs of socks (one medium weight poly, one larger pair wool over that), insulated snow pants, a Columbia 1/4 zip polar fleece top, a Bula polar fleece neck guard, a Wear Guard fleece lined/quilted insulated nylon winter jacket, two Bula polar fleece hats (one skull cap and one tuk) or a really good thick wool hat, and either a pair of latex gloves with a pair of unlined leather utility gloves over them, or lined fleece driving gloves. For boots I use Lands End insulated winter hiking boots. Add metal cleats to the soles for walking on icy pastures.

I wear a turtleneck and a turtleneck sweater, yoga pants, and carhardt bibs. Ski socks and insulated muck boots keep my toes warm enough. I got a winter jacket from Burlington Coat Factory for $11.95 and it’s that new thin but warm stuff that is also waterproof - I usually get too hot and have to take my coat off. The bibs are what really keeps me warm.

Polypropylene long johns, wool socks, poofy nylon insulated ski pants, insulated, lined flannel shirt, Columbia winter boots, Mountain Horse Original jacket, good ski gloves, wool cap and ear muffs. Phew, I’m tired by the time I get my clothes on :).
This keeps me comfy at 18 below and I adjust accordingly as the temps warm up. For added safety because of the ice this winter, I have some spikey ice treads on my boots.

Carhart bibs and Carhart coat w/hood over my pj’s. Wool socks in my bog boots. My problem is my hands, really need to find a good warm THIN pair of gloves, constantly taking my gloves on and off to do things.

With the subzero (-27F)weather we just had, I had on a turtleneck, a sweatshirt, and a down coat. Corduroy jeans and snow pants as well as wool hunting socks and a cotton ankle sock for the 2nd layer inside a great boot I had from Land’s End.

As I’m working I change gloves/mittens very frequently. I have some Armadillo gloves that are good for most temps down to about the teens. They do give me a lot of mobility. I also have rubber gloves that are fleece-lined for when I’m handling water buckets and rinsing feed tubs. Also a pr of acrylic gloves with the fingertips and palm rubber coated. My all time favorites though for just about anything else are some deerskin mittens with a removable fleece liner. Unfortunately they are just about completely shot. :frowning: I’m figuring this is the last season for them but considering I’ve had them several yrs at least before I bought my farm and I’ve been here for 23 yrs, I guess I shouldn’t complain. :slight_smile: I’ve found something similar from the Vermont Store Catalog and just ordered them.

We found Columbia Boots just before the polar temps hit, and they have been awesome for stable work. Feet stay warm, no extra socks were needed, but even better it really fits onto your foot, sort of like a nice sneaker, as compared to big boots winter boots. I had much more stability and grip leading horses in the snow. Best investment of the season!

Thanks to COTH I learned about battery heated clothing. For Christmas Santa got me a heated under layer (4 settings low-Max) Followed by a turtle neck, fleece, Mountain Horse heavy coat, headband, hat, hood and scarf. Long johns, flannel lined jeans, wool socks and winter boots. Takes almost as long to dress and undress as it does to do chores :winkgrin:

I still do woodworking in my barn and my best piece is my UnderArmour winter running pants. (I’m a runner). I put them under my jeans, with wool socks.
I do like those heated, rechargeable gloves. I saw a pair somewhere for $49.00. It seemed like a pretty good deal and they were work gloves.

All my clothes at once. :smiley:

In all seriousness, while I moved to NC for a reason, I grew up in the OH River valley working in barns in ice and COLD. So many layers, including a snowsuit (thank cod I don’t need that anymore).

I adore my Bogs boots (stalked for two years till they were on sale) rated to -40 degrees. Warm dry awesomeness and you can stuff multiple pant layers in them.

My favourite winter hat is one I found at Campmor years ago that is an insulated knit stocking hat which is also windproof, it has something softly crinkly in it – it works!

Gloves are usually the SSG 10 Below – waterproof and ultrawarm and durable (I usually kill gloves in 6 months, these are on year 2), I can fish ice out of the trough and stay dry. They do have a saturation point (3-4 troughs, my fingertips are going to start getting damp) but dry quickly and stay warm.

Thinsulate is the greatest material ever. I almost never buy “horse” branded clothes, they are overpriced and don’t last long. I get nearly everything but breeches from outdoor companies.

My barn jacket is ugly as crap (was bright yellow, now stained with everything), but it is nearing 20 years old and will. not. die. I’d love to have a slightly less ugly one, but it is amazingly warm and dry, it’s from LLBean (their stuff lives forever!) with fleece lined body and Thinsulate in the arms and water shedding on the outside. It still doesn’t have a stitch out of place. And at least during rifle season for deer, I’m highly visible, I guess!

A down evening gown and sparkly slippers.

Muddruckers:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/mudruckers-boot-5185p

SSG Ten Below gloves:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ssg-10-below-winter-gloves-9878p

Winter Overpants (sooooo warm):
http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartpak-winter-overpant-10729p

Shires Performance Equestrian coat (you will feel NOTHING):
http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-218796

I can wear this outfit and still move (unlike trying to work in my coveralls). And if I wear more than a basic under layer, I sweat! I love it!

[QUOTE=Mukluk;7371847]
A down evening gown and sparkly slippers.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Knit leggings under jeans, fleece or SmartWool socks and my Ariat Terrain boots unless I’m walking in snow. On top, I’m usually comfortable until about -5 in an UnderArmour compression turtleneck, a fleece, and my down ski jacket. Add in a scarf and a fleece-lined hat and I’m a happy duck as long as I’m moving. If I’m sitting on the tractor in the wind, I want two wool coolers and a coffee.

I can dress to keep most of me warm in frigid MN weather, but no matter what I do, fingers & toes will get cold. Mittens work better than gloves, but I will still get cold digits.

Once I get working, even in the recent freeze, I usually shed my coat (have on many wool or technical layers beneath, including thick wool sweater).r.

I live in central Georgia so “Really Cold” is relative ;). I wear layers, a hooded sweat shirt under my down jacket, jeans, insulated muck boots and gloves. Don’t need much more than that in even the coldest weather down here.