Unlimited access >

what do you wear to do your barn chores when its really cold

Also in mid GA.

I love my LL Bean canvas field coat with button-in liner! I have one prima loft and one blanket liner; I love them both. I’ll wear that over a sweat shirt, over a flannel shirt. I’ll also wear an old pair of DH’s sweat pants over jeans or pj bottoms.

My feet don’t get that cold, so I just wear my LL Bean duck boots (I have the 6" slip-ons with elastic gores you can’t get these days) or TSC cheap muck boots.

My hands get cold. For days that are not too, too cold, I wear SSG lined leather winter work/riding gloves. On really cold and/or wet days I’ll wear my ski gloves. I got wonderful new Columbia glove liners that have that cool reflective material. I like them a lot, but I haven’t decided if they’re worth the $40 my family paid for them! I used to have an awesome pair of leather mittens - I wore them out. Sure wish I could find more like them.

Walls coveralls

About 8 yrs ago I bought a pair of coveralls for my hubby. He felt claustrophobic and refused to wear them. I jumped at the chance. One piece suit. Mens medium short. They go over my PJs, over office clothes, heck sometimes over my undies! Very comfortable. Navy color - I refuse to wear Carhart brown.

They have seen pony births in May, snow in February! Keeps the small of your back warm.

They are a medium weight that aren’t too hot - I typically wear a coat over the suit.

One thing, they are NOT feminine. I suppose they may kill my marriage one day. Hubby bought me another pair when he noticed the gaping whole in the hither region. Guess I could repair them for a backup set.

Love them - highly recommend the one piece suit. Start at the barn with breeches underneath. Keeps you clean and eases you into the day. It keeps me from washing a lot of clothes, too.

I really would love a feminine version. Berne makes one but I didn’t get it before he ordered me a new set. They would have been a berry colored version. They didn’t look all that feminine other than the color. Same boxy cut.

I like the idea of a one-piece suit, but couldn’t get excited about Carhart’s. I’ll check yours out :wink:

Besides garbage bags and wind suits, the one piece coveralls in the thin material are great for shows, when its not hot. I’m a dirt magnet so I usually have to cover up in between classes or time spots and coveralls work great. I’ve been eyeing some cute pine striped blue ones at TSC next to the jean bibs :slight_smile:

Check this out; http://www.shopbodycovers.com/

Carhart type suit. Tan twill material with heavy quilted lining and polyfill. That’s the top layer. During the recent cold spell we had here, well below zero, I wore the following under it: cotton or polypropolene turtleneck, wool sweater, cotton sweatpants, wool socks (smartwool,) polarfleece pullover jacket. Then a polarfleece neck warmer, knit hat and ski gloves (nylon outside, polyfill with fleece lining.) Boots are Kamick pac boots - tall rubber boots with wool removable inner boots. My suit is my lifeline for the winter, it’s all one piece so no cold back when bending or lifting. It’s big enough to layer under it, and tough enough to withstand real work. I broke one of the leg zippers, but just pinned it shut with bandage pins. Still good. :smiley: The suits are on sale at Tractor Supply right now, might be a good time to look for one.

I was a ski patroller for years, and learned how to dress for the cold. If I was out skiing, I would do polypropolene long johns as well as the polypro turtleneck, but because I am in the barn and not on a chair lift, I don’t need the extra layer. It’s most important to keep your core warm, hence the turtleneck, wool sweater and polarfleece pullover on my core. The hat is also important to prevent heat loss. If your feet are cold, put on a hat. :yes:

What I like about the neck warmer is I can pull it up to protect the skin on my face when out in the wind, or pull it down so I can breathe when back inside.

It is hard to work in gloves. Silk glove liners can help, or fingerless gloves, wear those under your regular gloves and then you can take off the heavy ones to work.

My gear starts with a stupid hat with ears covers in white and black plaid , a ring neck warmer, leggings under my jeans car hart bibs a heavy pull over sweat shirt with my winter ski jacket. Gloves any that match or not right and left with little hand warmers in each glove down to a pair of mid lenght muck boots with wool socks. I ran in and out that minus degree day found the hand warmers were a must. Need a new pair of ski goggles or would of had them on in that crazy weather. I took it very seriously the cold temps that day. That is my gear for under 20 degree highs.

ML

Love my Carhart one piece coveralls. I’ll put them on over my pj’s to feed in the morning. Neighbors don’t even look any more…they’re used to seeing me going to the barn in a bathrobe in the summer.

I’ve worn coveralls for years, but no, sexy they’re not. I’d rather be warm than sexy, but that’s just me.

I haven’t had to do barn chores in eons-- I mostly just need the extra warmth for hiking excursions-- but Walmart carries “George Fleece-Lined Footless Tights,” and they’ve been a godsend for me. I can wear them under yoga pants and hike in single-digit temps and be comfortable; I would think they’d be a useful and inexpensive base layer for anyone working in a barn, too.

[QUOTE=PRS;7372623]
I live in central Georgia so “Really Cold” is relative ;). I wear layers, a hooded sweat shirt under my down jacket, jeans, insulated muck boots and gloves. Don’t need much more than that in even the coldest weather down here.[/QUOTE]

This doesnt count as winter, I wear that when its below 50 :lol: What did you wear when it got to 0 in Atlanta?

“Hoser” Muck boots with thick Smartwool socks–sometimes 2 pr

Goretex MITTENS (My fingers get numb in even the warmest gloves, and waterproof is a must) which are a size up and can be worn with silk or thin merino wool glove liners underneath, for when you have to take the mittens off to do latches, buckles, etc)
obtained half price offseason

lined snowboarding pants, bought off season on sale

merino wool turtleneck (non itch, washable, LL Bean) with long underwear top underneath–silk or wool or coolmax–whatever I have at hand–NOT cotton

large wool beret that can be pulled over the ears
fleece scarf that can be wrapped over mouth and nose if needed

Outer coat that is hay and hair shedding (NEVER FLEECE) and not something I care about getting stained! Another end of season sale item.

The only piece specific to horses is the Muck boots–they are worth it–but I have found that most horse specific clothing is pricey, and not sturdy enough.

My best keeping-hands-warm-and-dry formula is to wear disposable gloves (latex-free medical kind) as a base layer under mittens, which are the only things that keep my hands really warm. Then, I can take the mittens off for quick things that need fingers and my hands don’t freeze.

I really helps keep my hands drier, which is the only thing that seems to have
staved off awful winter dry & cracked skin (that seems to defy every hand cream). Just found disposable gloves from Walgreens that have aloe in them, which = win-win!

Totally agree with cai. This is the first winter where I started wearing disposable gloves under my barn gloves and what a difference!!!

I use the vinyl disposables (like the kind used for staining wood,etc). They are easier to put on and take off and can be used more than once. I just blow them up like a balloon to re use them and I think the looser fit keeps them warmer than a tight fitting glove.

My winter barn uniform for NE Indiana winter: Carhartt knock-off overalls called Berne, Carhartt fleece lined coat, alpaca socks, Muck (brand) insulated boots, double fleece-lined North Face hat, and various gloves…currently I wear silk liners with a fleece lined snow-boarding pair of gloves. I go through gloves really fast so I don’t buy expensive ones, but they have to have fleece of some sort for me. I lose one right glove at least twice a winter. Jammies or even street clothes are underneath.

This get up has served me well for 14 years. I only just replaced all of it last winter, and I replaced with the identical brands because it has all worked so well.

And of course, it’s color coordinated :). Grape bibs, light blue coat, hat is purples and blue stripes…gloves are lavender. This makes me happy to have color ~~~ especially this winter! If I could string on some Christmas lights, I would.

I hate winter. Now that I’m getting a divorce, I’m leaving this flippin’ place as soon as my daughter is settled in college. I dream of fair weather.

GB - your winter barn outfit is pretty much identical to mine, with the inclusion of fleece long underwear bottoms under the snow pants (mine have full zips on the sides so I can put my tall Muck boots on last then zip the legs closed over them. My “scarf” is a fleece neck tube, and lately my hat is an old fur lined, nylon outside trappers style hat, ear flaps down and buckled under the chin.

Last night DH decided to come to the barn with me, so I had unbuckled the chin strap of the hat while waiting for him to get ready. Forgot to buckle it back up before starting barn chores, and, you guessed it, ever affectionate arabian gelding brushed my hat right into his water bucket while I was tying it up. Had to do the rest of the barn chores hatless. Lesson learned - buckle up or bring an extra hat!

[QUOTE=gingerbread;7390363]
“Hoser” Muck boots with thick Smartwool socks–sometimes 2 pr

Goretex MITTENS (My fingers get numb in even the warmest gloves, and waterproof is a must) which are a size up and can be worn with silk or thin merino wool glove liners underneath, for when you have to take the mittens off to do latches, buckles, etc)
obtained half price offseason

lined snowboarding pants, bought off season on sale

merino wool turtleneck (non itch, washable, LL Bean) with long underwear top underneath–silk or wool or coolmax–whatever I have at hand–NOT cotton

large wool beret that can be pulled over the ears
fleece scarf that can be wrapped over mouth and nose if needed

Outer coat that is hay and hair shedding (NEVER FLEECE) and not something I care about getting stained! Another end of season sale item.

The only piece specific to horses is the Muck boots–they are worth it–but I have found that most horse specific clothing is pricey, and not sturdy enough.[/QUOTE]

I’m in NY and MA.

In NY: riding pants under flannel or fleece PJs/sweatpants. No shame. It keeps me toasty. For torso - long shirt, fleece jacket w hood, Carhart jacket.

MA: same, but an extra layer on the torso - usually another fleece jacket

I’ve never tried the vinyl glove thing. I know my fingers hurt so much right now from doing water in knit gloves. Problem for me, like a lot of people I guess, is finding gloves that will allow me to bend my fingers. I have arthritis now on both hands in my ring and pinky fingers, which came on early as a kid. Dr back then said it had a lot to do with not when gloves when I ride or do barn chores. Still don’t. Might have to try the vinyl glove thing. Would dishwashing gloves work?

Jeebus, I’m exhausted just reading about all the layers you ladies put on in the mornings.:lol:

This winter I am very spoiled, as I am working in a barn heated to 15C, and the muck bin and paddocks are a mere 10 feet from the barn. I wear long johns and jeans, wool socks, a long and short sleeved shirt, and a zip up hoodie. I’m in the market for a new pair of boots, since mine are not so water proof any more. For turnout, hay tossing, and wheelbarrow emptying on super cold days, I have a wonderful, light weight but very warm Mountain Horse jacket, fleece lined gloves, and a fur lined earflap hat.

Most of my outfit has been accounted for already, but I will add that my underarmour ColdGear glove liners (Dick’s Sporting Goods) and those little Hot Hands warmers under my regular chore gloves are saving my life this winter! I wore them out while hacking on the trails the other day and couldn’t believe the difference!

I keep disposable ‘food service’ gloves from the grocery store in the tackroom. They’re great at keeping hands dry & warm under work gloves. I’ll wear them if I’m doing something that requires thin or no gloves.

I want to hear where folks are getting their mittens. I had a pair of leather mittens that had fleece fingers inside - loved them & wore them out…