Unlimited access >

what do you wear to do your barn chores when its really cold

[QUOTE=slantedhorse;7373419]
About 8 yrs ago I bought a pair of coveralls for my hubby. He felt claustrophobic and refused to wear them. I jumped at the chance. One piece suit. Mens medium short. They go over my PJs, over office clothes, heck sometimes over my undies! Very comfortable. Navy color - I refuse to wear Carhart brown.

They have seen pony births in May, snow in February! Keeps the small of your back warm.

They are a medium weight that aren’t too hot - I typically wear a coat over the suit.

One thing, they are NOT feminine. I suppose they may kill my marriage one day. Hubby bought me another pair when he noticed the gaping whole in the hither region. Guess I could repair them for a backup set.

Love them - highly recommend the one piece suit. Start at the barn with breeches underneath. Keeps you clean and eases you into the day. It keeps me from washing a lot of clothes, too.

I really would love a feminine version. Berne makes one but I didn’t get it before he ordered me a new set. They would have been a berry colored version. They didn’t look all that feminine other than the color. Same boxy cut.[/QUOTE]

Love my Walls coveralls. I’ve been surprised they have kept me warm even at 0 degrees. I don’t even wear a coat over mine. I also use the disposable gloves as liners, although with this recent Arctic blast I have had to resort to hand warmers. I also wear Muck boots with 2 pairs of wool socks, and that is enough to keep my feet warm.

Got my Goretex mittens at Marshall’s of all places–just lucky—you can try places like REI or Eastern Mountain Sports or the Campmor website for them…
I saw lined leather mittens and shearling mittens in the Vermont Country Store catalog.
Another reason to buy a size up is to fit those little handwarmers in them that showidaho mentioned (you can get toe warmers too)–they are wonderful if you are gonna be outside for more than a little while, can last a few hours

I love the LL Bean fleece lined jeans, they keep your legs very toasty and wind out. The flannel lined ones are not as warm, the polar fleece ones are way better. I get the mens, I think the jean is heavier material.
LL Bean smart wool socks with muck boots, easy to slip on, mid calf height to keep out snow.
Then layer a shirt turtleneck or longsleeve flannel, underarmour windbreaker or shirt, sweatshirt and winter coat. I like the slip over your head ones with the huge Kangaroo pocket from Dover Saddlery. Your hat and gloves can stay in the pocket and I’m always putting stuff like hoof picks, dble ended snaps, thrush buster etc in the pocket as I do barn chores. Hope this helps! I find it easy and keep warm. It’s pretty cold (in the negatives at night and low teens or so days in PA right now!) Handwarmers can be good in pockets if you’re out for a long time. And I keep the barn closed up while I work to keep out the wind. With the heated water buckets it’s not too bad.

I wonder how many COTH’ers from the south are suddenly interested in this thread after last night’s storms?

I hate to be so bundled up that I sweat when I am busy working in the barn.

My outfit of choice, even on windy 10* days like this morning, is:

Polarfleece earwarmer headband thingy

Polarfleece scarf to cover my neck and/or face if needed

GOOD quality fleece long sleeve shirt

Heavyweight over-sized denim shirt

El-cheapo thick fleece pajama pants next to my skin, and then plain old scrub bottoms on top of them to keep hay from sticking and break the wind

GOOD quality knee-high wool socks

Plain old rubber muck boots that are 1 size too big. The extra air space seems to do the trick to keep my toes warm, and not sweaty.

That’s it.

I spent 3 HOURS outside this morning doing every aspect of chores related to caring for 15 horses. LOTS of physical activity, and I was not sweaty! Yippee!

I have been in lots colder climates than this. If I am doing something sedentary (ice fishing, riding snowmachines, etc) in Alaska at -40* BELOW ZERO, then I am bundled up much more to keep me warm. But anything active at those temps, and my outfit is pretty much the same… Sweat can literally kill you at those temps.

Outer & mid layer: Arc’teryx. Arc’teryx. Arc’teryx. Yes it’s $$$$ but it’s no joke. Warm enough to wear hiking in Antarctica but lightweight & does not make you feel like the sta-puft marshmallow man. Look on Moosejaw or Backcountry.com outlet pages & buy last years ugly colors.

Under layer: some kind of long underwear, silk sock liners with thin wool socks on top

Hands: silk glove liners & midweight ski gloves or riding mittens

Head: wool beanie, Arc’teryx jacket hood

I have Carhartt one piece overalls, and also bibs and jacket. If I am working inside in the overalls, I tend to take my arms out, and tie the arms around my waist so I don’t get overheated.

I cannot function without my neck warmers. I love love love them! Most important piece as far as I am concerned. The nice thing about an arid climate is as long as you cover your skin and block the wind, it isn’t as bad as dealing with extreme cold with moist air

Generally I wear a scarf that will cover my neck & lower face. Lately I’ve been wearing a fleece hoodie under my coat with the hood up. It’s really ugly!

The temp was a chilly one degree this morning when I headed to the barn. What do you use to keep your face warm? My ears are okay, but my nose & cheeks are freezing…

[QUOTE=BeastieSlave;7404648]
Generally I wear a scarf that will cover my neck & lower face. Lately I’ve been wearing a fleece hoodie under my coat with the hood up. It’s really ugly!

The temp was a chilly one degree this morning when I headed to the barn. What do you use to keep your face warm? My ears are okay, but my nose & cheeks are freezing…[/QUOTE]

If it’s really really cold, I wear a fleece tube type neckwarmer pulled up over my mouth and nose (be forewarned, if you are wearing eye glasses this WILL fog up your glasses), but if it’s not super cold I go with a Buff. In GA you’re rarely going to have need for a fleece neckwarmer, but the Buff can be used for a variety of things, not just as a neckwarmer, so in your case probably a good choice.

Carhartt coveralls over a hoodie. Breeches and an under armour shirt. Hat and gloves. I can’t say enough good things about La Crosse boots. My neighbor who deer hunts introduced me to them and they are the best I have ever had. Rain, snow, mud, cold… Bring it on!

Lots of layers. A pair of breeches/riding tights on the bottom with jeans over them. Two pairs of socks and either Ariat Terrains or Bogs. A technical t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt, fleece vest, and winter coat. A beanie type hat, a buff if it’s really cold (that I can also pull up over my mouth/nose), and either those cheap stretchy gloves or these Ovation gloves depending on task.