Unlimited access >

What fly legging brand do you use?

Fly season is coming . . . what brand fly leggings do you use? I’ve been using Shoo Fly leggings. I like them except that the stays seem to get bent pretty easily, so I’m considering trying another brand. What brand do you use, and what do you like/dislike about it?

2 Likes

Shoo Fly. I’ve tried a bunch…none of them have worked as well at least for me.

4 Likes

Shoo Fly has been it for me the last 4 years. I am in the group that feels like that first pack of Shoo Fly lasted so much longer than subsequent ones. I did buy some no names off Amazon for 13 bucks a pair and they were ok. A little too small/short for the backs as they only sold a medium size. Used the Shoo Fly in the back and cheapies in the front on both of mine.

2 Likes

Of the “stay up” loose fit style, I’ve used Shoo Fly and Stomp Stoppers. I’ve also used Kensingtons and Cashels.

Shoo Fly Leggins are still my favorite and first choice.

1 Like

I’ve got Shoo Fly’s going on an upcoming 4th year. They look rough but still ticking. :grinning:

They are on from 630am til 930pm daily from April til November. :rofl:

1 Like

I tried them for the first time last season and I had too luck with the name brand Shoo Fly.

The fun coloring seemed to fade quickly, but other than that, they worked for their intended purpose.

1 Like

Shoo Fly too. Guess you’re stuck :joy:

I could go for some new colors like lime green or hot turquoise though!

2 Likes

Shoo Fly. Horse still pulls them off but they don’t tear up when she does it. Unlike the other types. I like the more fitted leggings (other brands) but they fall apart really fast and tend to slide down the leg and get under the foot which tears them up. Until somebody comes up with something better I will stick with the Shoo Flys.

2 Likes

I picked up some Warrior fly boots (https://muvadotherapy.com/) a few years ago at Equine Affaire, after being less than thrilled with the durability of the previous set of Shoo Flies (my 2nd or 3rd, first were great). They did seem to hold up a bit better than the SFs.

4 Likes

As others have said, I found the current Shoo Fly quality no longer superior, but the price is higher. I’ve purchased a couple different brands off Amazon - can’t remember names, but they’re at least 50% cheaper than ShooFly and last about the same ~ 1.5 seasons. So I buy whatever is on sale and has the right sizing for my horse.

2 Likes

I’m a Shoo Fly fan. My mare is still on her first pair (purchased 3 years ago) and they’re still perfectly usable. They’ve gotten a bit discolored/stained over the years, but there are not structural issues.

She wears them 24/7 for fly season. They only come off for riding, lunging, and swimming. No issues with them rubbing.

2 Likes

I switched to Warrior brand last season and was pleased with them. Prior to that I had a set from a local lady who stopped making them, but they were very similar to Shoo Fly. Haven’t used Shoo Fly themselves though.

2 Likes

I use shoo fly. I try to snag them on sale at the end of the season because I know I’ll use them eventually, and I can generally get 2 seasons out of them.

One of the boarders at my barn tried the pro-choice versions and they were awful. They got lost all the time because the velcro would work itself open from the bottom and then the boot would go flying. Which was extra annoying because it was the horse I was caring for while his owner was recovering from childbirth. I spent far too much time traipsing all over the pasture for those damn boots :joy:.

1 Like

Sorry, another vote for ShooFly from me! My pastures tend to have long grasses so my boots usually only make it 1 season, but honestly I feel that’s pretty good. I don’t even remember the last time I lost one. They stay on and they hold up.

1 Like

Next time I need to buy a set I may try the Warrior brand. So far I have a full set that are in good shape. I buy them in hot pink so I can find them in the pasture when they are in tall grass. No point finding them when the pasture mower mows over them.

2 Likes

I was really hoping there was a better option than Shoo-Fly out there. I had great luck with them the first year I used them, but for the last two years I have not even gotten a full season out of them.

2 Likes

My Shoo-Fly boots are about four years old and looking worse for wear but it seems a new pair may not last as long. My only complaint is the stays bend a bit into his legs. They stay on all summer except when it’s going to be very rainy.

A few other horses at the barn wear other brands and they tend to droop and bunch up near the hooves.

2 Likes

I just bought some Warrior boots. I am very happy with them. Initially I though t they were shorter than my Shoo Fly boots but they seem to fit fine. They also seem sturdier than the Shoo Fly’s with better, bigger Velcro fastenings and stiffer mesh material. The Shoo Flys are a year old so not an exact comparison but I think they are worth the additional $$.

3 Likes

Shoo Fly. No complaints.

2 Likes

I bought my destructive two year old a cheap set of knock offs from Amazon. The fit is pretty good; she destroys or removes absolutely everything but these have a lot of Velcro I’m hoping she can’t undo. I’ll update if they survive her wrath!

3 Likes