Unlimited access >

What is 4Cyte joint supplement?

So my new vet recommends this and apparently other local vets have been pushing it.

The website doesn’t say what it is other than a patented plant seed oil.

Ah biotas orientalist in soy oil and flavoring

Thoughts?

“Backed by :sparkles: science :sparkles:” cracks me up.

There is some actual research:

Ah some evidence. Ots also called thuja?

My vet recommended it to me as she did a mini study herself on her horses, her vet tech’s horses, and a few client horses and thought it worked really well. She even started carrying it back when you could only buy it in Australia.

Anyway, I decided to try it on my new-to-me 22 year old schoolmaster who has arthritis and, when not on a joint supplement, very creaky joints.

For him, it’s been a miracle worker. I have to admit that I got busy at the end of the year and didn’t give it to him for probably over 4 weeks. And then his joints started creaking again. Started him back on it and the creaking is nearly gone now.

I do also give him MSM.

In fact, I decided that since it works so well, I moved all three horses to it. Also simplifies my routine to have one joint supplement instead of three different ones.

Since my gelding is new to me, I can’t compare how other joint supplements have worked for him. My younger mare doesn’t have any joint issues so I haven’t seen any changes in her since I switched. I just started my older mare on the loading dose a couple of days ago because I was using up the last of my Lurisyn on her, but I can report back on whether it seems to make a difference to her. She definitely has arthritis, especially in her hocks.

It used to be marketed under the name of InPrime, if you want more google options. I don’t think there’s a ton out there but I felt comfortable using it based on my vet’s recommendation. She’s pretty conservative about that stuff.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of it before, but they do have some study results on their website. I also found these:

https://rest.neptune-prod.its.unimelb.edu.au/server/api/core/bitstreams/de9c78e3-0d67-549c-b888-7fd0b0cee6ba/content

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?setid=598e2d4e-e9ba-48ab-a41e-e2ca43b8b464&type=display

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot of people who use it are happy with it, a girl at the barn I am at tried it, with no success. Just like everything else I assume its horse by horse basis.

1 Like

Geoffrey the famous mini in NZ was crippled lame and it totally turned him around. Geoffrey the Conqueror is his name. I didn’t know we could get it here. He had a misdiagnosed knee injury and was very very lame. Now he’s terrorizing the bigs again.

https://www.facebook.com/profile/100044379401389/search/?q=4cyte

I drilled down into her page and mentions of it. He’s so fun to see zooming again.

1 Like

My dog is on it. Marvellous stuff.

1 Like

Another option that may be slightly less $$ is Gonex by Equitop.
It’s the newest thing my vet, who is pro- Recovery, but not much other supplementation, is absolutely impressed by the results, and yes, she uses it on her own horses.

My sister put her horse on Gonex about 3 months ago, and within 7 days we all noticed an improvement in her joint suppleness and her ‘creaking’ stopped

1 Like

Does anyone know if this is safe for IR horses? Thx!

No idea, but it’s not glucosamine which is the one that’s a potential sugar problem

1 Like

Thank you!

If you’re asking about Gonex, it’s safe for PPID horses, since my sister’s is one, but I don’t know about 4-Cyte

I’m curious about Insulin Resistance. I didn’t see any helpful information on either website. Thank you for responding!

Why not email them?

4Cyte is a proprietary blend of Thuja type seed oil, soy oil and apple flavor. Typically oil and seeds are neutral to insulin and metabolic issues because they don’t contain significant carbs or sugars.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea! My go-to is to call.:woman_shrugging:t3:

Has anyone top-dressed this on grain? I’m not sure a daily syringe is practical for many barns.

1 Like

4cyte is a flavored gel that you squirt on the feed. If there’s a syringe it would be for measuring not for fire feeding.

1 Like

Thanks! I read oral administration as them wanting you to squirt the syringe directly in the mouth.

I got some for the dogs and horses. Stay tuned!

1 Like