Unlimited access >

What is 4Cyte joint supplement?

Yes, that’s how I give it.

I have to admit, the gel pack and the syringe is a bit annoying compared to a pump, but I’m assuming that they do it this way (1) to preserve the freshness of what’s in the gel pack, and (2) to get the right dose.

But I can see a boarding barn not being overly thrilled with the administration of it.

1 Like

I asked my vet here in Canada to bring in 4CYTE which she did after checking the science. I’d heard about it through a knowledgeable friend at the other side of the country who had heard of it through one of our veterinary schools. I checked it out with a contact in NZ where the product was from originally but it’s registered to Interpath Global in Australia. It’s advertised in NZ and Australia on banners at horse shows etc. Was told that like everything else, some horses respond well, others not. Popular with vets over there as an anti-inflammatory. Gaining popularity around here.

My horse had a grade 1 hock lameness from osteoarthritis. 4CYTE kept him comfortable for about 2 years, so it might have delayed the progression somewhat. He loves the taste because I understand the sweetener is honey and/or fruit pectin. (A friend with a PPID horse was deterred from using it as it likely has a small amount of sugar). I took him off it for over a month so as to have a clean slate for a soundness exam. I noticed the difference.

The arthritis has progressed so will try Gonex, as recommended by my vet, on its own and maybe the two together later. Horse is 15 but was first diagnosed with arthritis around 7. Has had hock injections once or twice, and Osphos twice. Equioxx never did much for him. I’ve opted to stay with nutraceuticals as long as I can. I also feed MSM and HA.

I wish there were two syringes supplied with the larger pack instead of one because when you’re 3/4 of the way through the product, the plunger is worn and it’s hard to extract the product from the pouch. The syringe does allow one to be very accurate with the dosage.The loading dose is 8 ccs. and then it’s 4ccs. and the product is good for long term use. No ill effects as far as I know at my end.

Hope this helps. I rarely come on this great forum site but when I do I’ve found helpful suggestions in the past, so forgive this long reply, but thought I might be able to give back! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, see my reply under Pico-Banana’s question.

Thank you! So it’s primarily an anti inflammatory. The medical literature says it reduces fluid on joints. I guess nothing stops or reverses actual bone changes (I have arthritis in my hands).

With antiinflammatories there’s also a question of whether they impact general immune system too?

I think it affects the leukocytes and cytokines wherever there seems to be inflammation in the horse’s body, but I don’t know the actual mechanism or quantification as I’m no scientist, so you’d need to check this out if it’s a concern. No effect on my horse’s immune system from what I’ve noticed and I see him every day. I may have read that it was supposed to assist with cartilage repair. I know my evidence is only anecdotal but my horse flexed sound for 2 years afterwards. One year was same vet, same place, same trotting out tarmac. Dressage horse. I took a chance on it as no one around here had heard of it (and now several clinics are stocking it). Every horse is different. Arthritis is a progressive disease, darn it! I’m glad to have had those two years and cost-wise for me at least, worked out to about the same as two joint injections or Osphos treatments/year. No side effects, no risk of infection, not hard on the kidneys etc.

And of course perfectly fine for competition, and if needs be will not be harmful if bute ever has to be administered, nor cancel its effects.

I used this for 18months or so and found no noticeable difference. Pentosan (also a biologic from Beechwood if I remember correctly) works better for mine, is more cost effective and much more convenient.The woman I know who has a big job at Interpath Global advised that 4Cyte Epiitalis is absorbed best by the mucous membranes, hence oral dosing. I fed it as a food top dressing which may be why it didn’t work for me.

I mixed it in with my horse’s feed.

1 Like

I have been adding to my horse’s feed since October and have been happy with the results.