Unlimited access >

what kind of dirt bike to get to use at horse shows? please help!!!!

hello everyone I know that this isn’t a direct horse question but it is still related. I am looking to buy a dirt bike to use when I go shows at larger facilities and I have no idea what style to get. I was looking online and I think I want a Yamaha brand but I have no idea what style to get. if someone could help me out that would be great!
Thanks in advance everyone!!!:slight_smile:

Consider an actual bike. Better for the environment, quieter for the horses, very adaptable (baskets, tow-carts) and you can normally get them closer to where you need to be.

1 Like

I have an electric bike–looks conventional, but has a power assist when I get tired of pedaling. No noise whatsoever. It was a life saver last week at KY horse park, going from the campground to barn 23 at the Altech!

Agree with the above answer on a real bike, but to answer your question - most horse show bikes are around 80-110cc, so the comparable Yamaha looks to be the R110E. Other popular models are a Kawasaki 110 or Honda 80F. Make sure to be extra respectful of horses and pedestrians while riding these.

I’d buy a scooter or a power assist bike, but a dirt bike? At a horse show? How fast are you planning on going? You’re bold.

The kind that make no noise… Do they even make those?

Dirt bikes just seem a little pointless because you can’t carry much on them. If all you’re using it for is going from point A to point B a little faster you might as well use a electric bike.

1 Like

Razor makes an electric scooter that looks exactly like a mini bike but is powered by a small motor. super fast, easy to ride, cheap (as in Walmart) and mine goes for at least a day before we have to plug it in.

Hi! I have a Yamaha 110cc. It’s perfect for shows like WEF. I use is to get from the barn to the ring instead if a golf cart. It’s the perfect size. Fits easily in my trailer, but big enough to easily carry an adult. It seems to be a very popular
dirt bike at the horse shows. I see them everywhere

what’s wrong with walking?

i’d be miffed if a dirtbike passed me on my way to warm up. very different than a bike. loud, obnoxious, smelly…

1 Like

A pedal powered one. Dirt bikes and golf carts for that matter are annoying at shows. I realize that distances are long but most horse people work out - why not work out at the show?

1 Like

Ummm ya sometimes at a show you need to move yourself and ALOT of stuff FAAAHHHH and FAAAAHHHHSSTT then get on to the next task…so while we definitely have the power we need to use it for things other than transport. NO DIRT BIKE pedal bike or golf cart.

A very quiet one!

I would go with a golf cart instead.

Or, if you just want an ATV for getting around and saving your own feet, take a pony. Provides the same service and a lot more environmentally friendly!

I am a horse person as well as I work for a Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki dealer.
Any small 4 stroke trail bike would work fine, but don’t rule out an actual scooter like a Honda Ruckus which will be also easy to ride as well as carry an adult rider more comfortably. The Ruckus is also easier to carry things on due to cargo room and it has rougher terrain tires on it.

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/ruckus.aspx

Bonus is you can use this to get around at home too (with a motorcycle or limted speed vehicle license) and it is super cheap on gas. They are also very easy to find on the used market, not so much for smaller dirt bikes as they are usually beat upon when you find them used.
Also, a scooter is usually quieter.

Just don’t get an old 2 stroke-I don’t think they are even allowed at ky horse park anymore. I don’t judge those who need motorized vehicles-and the rest of you should try to settle down a bit about it too. Ever had a bunion? Bad knee? Just old?walking is great, as is biking. But I would chose a covered golf cart on a sticky hot day or in the inevitable rain over those two for sure. But I’m of the older set and horseshows are a break and a treat for me.

1 Like

I’m a little surprised how many people seem surprised at the idea of a dirtbike. They’re almost as popular as golf carts at most shows I attend.
Pick something small, think pit bike, etc. Easy to lock in a stall overnight, fits easliy anywhere in the horse trailer. One adult with some stuff, or two tiny people can fit.
Working at HITS Ocala a few years back there were lots of times when it saved our butts. 5 horses at the ring and realize someone forgot something 4 horses out…

[QUOTE=TRIPLEBAR;8287436]
I am a horse person as well as I work for a Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki dealer.
Any small 4 stroke trail bike would work fine, but don’t rule out an actual scooter like a Honda Ruckus which will be also easy to ride as well as carry an adult rider more comfortably. The Ruckus is also easier to carry things on due to cargo room and it has rougher terrain tires on it.

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/ruckus.aspx

Bonus is you can use this to get around at home too (with a motorcycle or limted speed vehicle license) and it is super cheap on gas. They are also very easy to find on the used market, not so much for smaller dirt bikes as they are usually beat upon when you find them used.
Also, a scooter is usually quieter.[/QUOTE]

The Ruckus looks adorable. I wouldn’t get one for horse shows (if I did go to them still, and that sort of thing’s not allowed on racetracks) but if I still lived in Boston or DC I would be ALL OVER that.

3 wheel scooter ?
http://www.carscoops.com/2006/05/piaggio-mp3-three-wheeler-scooter-with.html

Wouldn’t a (quite) motorized bike be safer than a pedal bike which might be so quiet it surprises the horses?

OP, something to consider might be the weight if you will have to lift it in and out of a truck. An old style moped (pedal and motor) may be a good option if those are still a thing…can pedal if needed, but otherwise motorized.

The e-bikes are great and can easily move you at 20mph. Given your interest in dirt bikes I think you would be happiest with the type that can be used with the throttle alone and not just pedal-assist. Put a rack and grocery crates on it and you’ll be able to move more cargo than on the dirt bike, as well. Down side is they’re expensive and there aren’t many on the used market.

This one is underpowered but something along these lines would be great for horse shows with the two baskets: http://www.fusionelectricbikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/eshopper_satelitsilver.jpg

[QUOTE=GoodTimes;8288277]
I’m a little surprised how many people seem surprised at the idea of a dirtbike. They’re almost as popular as golf carts at most shows I attend.
Pick something small, think pit bike, etc. Easy to lock in a stall overnight, fits easliy anywhere in the horse trailer. One adult with some stuff, or two tiny people can fit.
Working at HITS Ocala a few years back there were lots of times when it saved our butts. 5 horses at the ring and realize someone forgot something 4 horses out…[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Small dirt bikes are very efficient, take up less room, quick and they are not loud. Several trainers use them because there isn’t room for passengers. :smiley: It’s interesting that so many people comment with authority about horse shows but obviously they don’t show.