Unlimited access >

What Racehorse Do You Wish They'd Make a Movie About?

[QUOTE=Brandy76;4846004]
Agree on both these- the Black Gold, and the Ruffian.

if I had to make a mini list though:

Sir Barton
Tim Tam
Exterminator
Little Current
Red Rum
Arkle
Shergar (already done?)[/QUOTE]

Arkle very definitely! Lots of good human connections there too.
Any movie about a chaser would have a hard time living up to the standards set by the movie Champions, about the remarkable comebacks by both Aldaniti and his jockey Bob Champion. Amazing story, and I cry every single time!

Is this the Black Gold movie?

Doesn’t jibe at all with my memories of the MH book. But it’s called Black Gold (Which I think refers to oil)

but there’s a race horse!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039191/

Weird.

BARBARO FOR SURE !!!

Heard tell that they were filming Secretariat at the Derby (probably for the crowd scenes) and part at Keenland.

At Old Friends Retirement Farm we saw the horse that acted Seabiscuit against War Admiral in the Match race. They tried it several times but it looked as if one jockey was pulling up the horse, so eventually someone suggested they run “War Admiral” until he was tired and bring in the fresh little “Seabiscuuit”

• they they could both run flat out for the match race. Seabiscuit was also filmed partly at Keenland, so have to get out my old copy and see if I recognize any of it.

Can somebody refresh my mind on Alydar’s death? I never could get those two sorted out - Alydar and Affirmed.

Also, I must live under a rock - but with the recent Reille Hunter scandal about John Edward’s lovechild, the media has not brought up the previous connections to killing horses… or have they?

InWhyCee, I did not know that about Rex Ellsworth and the death of Iron Reward.

Sad and disgusting.

[QUOTE=Beasmom;4846909]
InWhyCee, I did not know that about Rex Ellsworth and the death of Iron Reward.

Sad and disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Ellsworth was a b***ard of the highest order. He didn’t like for his horses to poke their heads out over the stall guards - one journalist saw him smack Swaps in the face and growl “get back in there!” at him. And Swaps was one of the nicest, most easygoing horses around. Best thing that ever happened to him was his purchase by John Galbreath.

[QUOTE=MintHillFarm;4845088]
I also wish that someone involved in film would take on a 'Life After the Track" documentary.

There are so many great stories to tell of ones that didn’t make it as race horses (or did and had 2nd successful career). It would make a great PR film for the retirement organizations as well as an educational movie for TB owners at the track…[/QUOTE]

Me too. One of our guys went from racing in the Toronto Cup at Woodbine (came in 3rd) to the claimers at Penn National after 8 years of racing. Earned $333,000 and was then dumped in a layup farm with manure up to his hocks. He’s the smartest, soundest horse we have and is schooling 2nd level dressage.

But, I don’t think this kind of story will appeal to the movie producers. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

A documentary film about life after the track might be appealing. While there are many success stories of horses after racing, most are probably not “dramatic” enough to be good Hollywood fodder.

I’m horrified to hear Ellsworth was so awful. No hint of that in Peter Chew’s book – but he was probably still alive…

[QUOTE=Chaila;4846428]
Is this the Black Gold movie?

Doesn’t jibe at all with my memories of the MH book. But it’s called Black Gold (Which I think refers to oil)

but there’s a race horse!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039191/

Weird.[/QUOTE]

That’s it. That’s the reason they were reluctant to talk to Henry when she was researching her book (and why, besides that she wrote her book, I think hers is something of a whitewash). This was obviously HIGHLY out of left field (Chinese orphan?) but again, I think the idea that the horse was running “in good faith” (and not just because he was sterile and they had to make money off him somehow) is a bit ludicrous.

And why do you think Black Gold was named Black Gold? Cherokee oil money paid for him!

To be honest, unless the horse won at the Olympics or some competition that could be hugely played up, or did something unusually heroic (a police horse saves someone’s life in dramatic fashion) I doubt than an OTTB story would make for a good drama film. Much for the same reason Sir Barton wouldn’t be a great story–no one wants to get invested in a horse’s story and then he’s just average or worse. (You’d have to end a film about Sir Barton before the match race, or he’d have to have done something amazing after it, beyond being a middling sire who got sold off to the cavalry breeders. You can’t end with your hero’s last race as a blowout victory for the other guy. I’m sure I"m not the only one who watched the old newsreel, where it was painfully obvious Sir Barton couldn’t keep up with Man o’ War.) If a horse retired and then went on to win the Olympics or some huge world championship, especially if the connections had some kind of hard-luck angle, it might sell.

Otherwise you’d need an independent filmmaker to do a documentary. (The studios are usually pretty leery of any docu that’s not obvious Oscar bait as they don’t make money.) Then you might be able to follow a few different horses–maybe a show jumper, one who’s become a track pony, one who was found in a kill pen, etc. The tricky part would be finding someone who is not going to come in with an agenda of racing being EVIL and throwing horses away. That’s going to end up hurting groups like CANTER and FLTAP who work with trainers.

Yeah, I know I sound like I’m saying a film should be pro-racing propaganda. But really, if they’re going to make movies about racing, I’d much rather it be that. I would rather see the sport gain popularity than trumpet the down sides and make people even LESS likely to go to the track.

Heck, even a funny movie that takes racing and the people who work it more or less seriously would be nice. (Sort of “Let It Ride” only instead of the hardcore betting junkies, the backside version.) Speaking of, that movie actually did a fairly good job of filming races–since the jockeys weren’t characters the focus was on the horses in the running scenes.

The steeplechaser, Jay Trump.

Product of an accidental breeding. Raced flat on the Carolina half-mile tracks. Jockey whipped him when told not to and he did a 90 degree turn through the rail and tore himself open from shoulder to chest. Vet saved him at owner/trainer’s insistence, but because of that accident, other jockeys tended to block him for fear he’d do it again, in front of them. Non-English speaking rider rode him in a race without knowing his reputation, was a fast-finishing secondcoming around the outside. Tommy Crompton Smith there looking for chaser prospect, his owners bought Jay Trump.

Horse went on to be a show hunter, field hunter (hunted by a one-armed master), then hurdler, timber horse, then first American-owned, American-bred and American ridden winner of the Grand National at AIntree in 1965. Won the Maryland Hunt Cup 3 times. 17.2 bay w/white. FANTASTIC horse. See book “The Will to Win.”

Also, how about a new, non-Soppy movie about The Great Dan Patch - now there was a horse that was a CELEBRITY.

Also - Single G - a Standardbred that raced FOREVER , aka “The Horse That TIme Forgot.”

And his jockey, Tommy Smith, has a great story too. He is a quadriplegic now, from a fall while hunting.

Does everyone like the humans in these horses’ lives to be a big part of the story? I find them fascinating too.

[QUOTE=pegasus44;4848477]
And his jockey, Tommy Smith, has a great story too. He is a quadriplegic now, from a fall while hunting.

Does everyone like the humans in these horses’ lives to be a big part of the story? I find them fascinating too.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. Speaking of such tragedies, is Ron Turcotte still alive?

Sandy

Yes, there’s a quick video of him from 09 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGKzBbvsqY

Apparently he’s quite an advocate for the disabled.

I met Tommy 5 years ago, we were both doing rehab at the same place. What an honor!

Sandy M, I agree with you about a movie for Jay Trump and Dan Patch…

Recently finished the latest biography (dare I say most truthful?) about Dan, and it would make a great story. Trotters and pacers were THE racehorse in the US in the early part of the 1900s… Celebrity, indeed. :smiley:

Mom’s Command

And my unraced, now-3YO filly, assuming everything goes as planned and she one day produces the first filly to win the Triple Crown and 3 different BC races. :winkgrin:

barbaro the peoples horse

[QUOTE=HOOF123;4846430]
BARBARO FOR SURE !!![/QUOTE]

Y’know, I think he was a lovely horse and, in terms of the effort his owners, his jockey, trainer, etc. put in, a very “encouraging” story in terms of the state of horse racing in this country…BUT, I could barely watch the documentary. I just don’t think the movie industry would look at it as being a good prospect for a movie: Lightly raced two year old, wins Derby, tragically breaks down in Preakness, owners finance heroic medical efforts, horse euthanized at 4. To make a good movie, it would have to be about the people, and not the horse…and while I applaud Barbero’s owners for their devotion to the horse, I don’t think it’s a “movie worthy” story to anyone other than devoted horse lovers, and believe me, there aren’t enough of those compared to people who love “Transformers” movies! The documentary was enough.

We have a deeply buried treasure. I think she would worth exploring and filming her story.
She is KINCSEM, the Hungarian wonder mare. She ran 54 races, she won 54 times. She run in England, Germany, Austria,
Czech, France (if I remember correctly), and of course in Hungary. She was a very significant racehorse, kings, ceasars and emperors were curious of her races.
She was bred and owned by a Hungarian nobleman, Erno Blaskovich in 1880-ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kincsem

[QUOTE=Sandy M;4848189]

Also, how about a new, non-Soppy movie about The Great Dan Patch - now there was a horse that was a CELEBRITY.

Also - Single G - a Standardbred that raced FOREVER , aka “The Horse That TIme Forgot.”[/QUOTE]

Definetly a modern version of Dan Patch needed :slight_smile: Lady Suffolk is also very good story- 16 seasons of racing- at a time when trotters were America’s chosen sport.