Unlimited access >

What Racehorse Do You Wish They'd Make a Movie About?

[QUOTE=Galiba;4851967]
We have a deeply buried treasure. I think she would worth exploring and filming her story.
She is KINCSEM, the Hungarian wonder mare. She ran 54 races, she won 54 times. She run in England, Germany, Austria,
Czech, France (if I remember correctly), and of course in Hungary. She was a very significant racehorse, kings, ceasars and emperors were curious of her races.
She was bred and owned by a Hungarian nobleman, Erno Blaskovich in 1880-ish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kincsem[/QUOTE]

Wasn’t she also in a shipwreck and recovered from an island and still went on to win whatever race she had been headed for when shipwrecked?

which horse would you like to see them make a movie about?

I would like to see them make a movie about two horses. John Henry and Man O War! John Henry is the classic underdog story just like Seabiscut but Man O War was a winner from the word Go! but still isn’t perfection a story worth telling too? This horse continues to fascinate me from childhood. The things I have learned about him are amazing, for instance did you know this horse carried 130 lbs as a two year old and 138 lbs as a 3 year old on an average not everytime. As if this fact where not mindboggeling enough here is a tidbit they do not mention. In 1929 with the onslaught of the Great depression horse shoes began to be made out of aluminum up until that time they where made out of cast iron?? That means Man O war carried another 6-8lbs on top of that 130-138 lb mark. If you compare his times to Secreteriat they are fractions apart with Secreteriat carrying twice as less weight this horse has no equal on the track. Another amazing tidbit Man O War per rumor due to no TV I can not verify never raced at a full stride? Which means they never allowed him to open up as they did with Secreteriat at the Belmont to see what he really could do. The first time jocky Johnny Loftus mounted this animal Man O War flung him 40 feet. This horse had no equal ever I do not need to see him race to know this. I would like to make further mention that Secreteriat was 2nd to Man O War I saw this beauty race and I Thank the Good Lord for the priviledge of it everyday so whoever said Secreteriat was bullsh!t is a jackazz! I am a football fanatic and to this day Secreteriat winning the Belmont is the single greatest sports experiance I have witnessed! and if any horse could challenge Man O war it is the horse with the 18lb heart!
Now for my personal favorite JOHN Henry! when other kids had posters of Bon Jovi on their walls I had John Henry on mine! I have never been in love with a horse like this and never will be again! This guy was personality plus and there definately should be a movie made about this guy. I watched him in 1985 be scratched from the breeders cup and they had to put a TV in his stall so he could watch the race or he would have flipped out! I once watched the grand old man lose a race(not to often mind you) and proceed to drag his groom maybe 20-30 feet to the winners circle because John Henry knew thats where John Henry belonged always! with a personality like that you have got to put it on the silver screen! OK I am done Thank You for letting me relive some forgotten memories! But please for all you readers do not ever verbally bash or disgrace in wirting a Great race Horses such as Secreteriat it makes you look small and stupid shows your lack of horse racing knowledge and respect! Secreteriat is still the greatest racehorse of the latter part of the of the 20th century He is a triple crown winner for a reason and no other racehorse ever in the histo
ry of the sport gave a greater performance in those 3 races ever!

Gallant Fox and Omaha.A TC winner, siring another TC winner… doesn’t happen every day :slight_smile: (and hasnt since lol). Might be interesting.
Genuine Risk
Man O War ofcourse lol.

Here’s the article. :no:

Apparently, Rex Ellsworth was one disturbed s.o.b. He twice raced Swaps into leg injuries, the second time into a sling. When Ellsworth brought two visitors to see Swaps in his sling (in a dirty stall), the horse shied away from the new visitors in the poor light. Ellsworth promptly grabbed him by the mane, slugged him on the cheek and said, “that will teach you to mind your manners.”

Aristides

Regret

Man o’ War

Team Spirit

Moifaa

Hambletonian (adapted from the book “One Man’s Horse” in “Born to Trot.” I don’t know how factual that nonexistent book was, but I loved it!)

Rosalind

Greyhound

Exterminator - too many cool side stories about him even after he finished racing, including his bday parties and pony friend, Peanut!

Man O’ War - the name says it all

Red Rum - what a horse!!

[QUOTE=Sandy M;4848189]
The steeplechaser, Jay Trump.

Product of an accidental breeding. Raced flat on the Carolina half-mile tracks. Jockey whipped him when told not to and he did a 90 degree turn through the rail and tore himself open from shoulder to chest. Vet saved him at owner/trainer’s insistence, but because of that accident, other jockeys tended to block him for fear he’d do it again, in front of them. Non-English speaking rider rode him in a race without knowing his reputation, was a fast-finishing secondcoming around the outside. Tommy Crompton Smith there looking for chaser prospect, his owners bought Jay Trump.

Horse went on to be a show hunter, field hunter (hunted by a one-armed master), then hurdler, timber horse, then first American-owned, American-bred and American ridden winner of the Grand National at AIntree in 1965. Won the Maryland Hunt Cup 3 times. 17.2 bay w/white. FANTASTIC horse. See book “The Will to Win.”

Also, how about a new, non-Soppy movie about The Great Dan Patch - now there was a horse that was a CELEBRITY.

Also - Single G - a Standardbred that raced FOREVER , aka “The Horse That TIme Forgot.”[/QUOTE]

Jay Trump raced and was purchased while at Charles Town. I would love to see a movie made about him and his connections.

[QUOTE=Chaila;4844016]
I’d love to see a movie about these guys:

http://horseracing.about.com/library/weekly/aa012499.htm[/QUOTE]

I agree! Did you read the Jimmy Winkfield book? There is an incredible story that he was involved in the saving of several hundred Russian thoroughbreds, they rode and drove them hundreds of miles and then raced them. It is incredible that these stories are so buried.

What about Personal Ensign!!!

She was undeafeted in 13 starts most of those AFTER she broke her leg. She beat Winning Colors in the BC Distaff with an amazing come from behind win and made over 1.6 million. She was Mare of the Year (just missed being horse of the year to Alysheba I believe) was later a Broodmare of the Year, and was put in the Hall of Fame in 93. She is still considered one of the best racers EVER. She just passed away a few weeks ago. Produced several G stakes winners too.

“Here lies the fleetest runner the
> American
> turf has ever known and one of
the
> gamest
> and most generous of horses”
>
> Domino, enshrined beneath this epitaph, achieved immortality in his
all
> too brief life. Between birth in 1891 and death in 1897, he
> distinguished himself as a racer and left his seed of greatness in
the
> gene pool. He is a 1955 inductee to the Hall of Fame.
>
> Undefeated at 2, he tallied 19 wins from 25 lifetime starts and
earned
> $193,550. He won 8 stakes and ran 6 furlongs over a century ago in
1:09
> flat. He died in his second season at stud and left just 20 foals, 19
> named, 7 stakes winners - 35 percent. Just 9 bred on and these
included
> 2 sons: Commando won the Belmont and sired Belmont winner Peter Pan
> while Disguise defeated English Triple Crown winner, Diamond Jubilee.
> His daughters produced Hippodrome and Ultimus [both by Commando] as
well
> as High Time [by Ultimus] and Sweep, he the damsire of Triple Crown
> winner War Admiral and Kentucky Derby winner, Bubbling Over. Another
was
> the second dam of Upset, he the sole victor over ManO’War. Finally,
Cap
> And Bells was the first American bred winner of the English Oaks.
Domino
> is a genetic key also to the American quarter horse.

This is a great thread!

It’s wonderful to hear so many stories about the great ones. Lena Caruso, your passion for John Henry brought a tear to my eye. You are so right about him, Now, everytime I lead a horse to the track who stops multiple times to mull over the situation and survey the scenery, I ask "Who do you think you are? John Henry? Always with a gleam in my eye, of course!

Personally, I’d be delighted if my 2 y.o. filly would be considered for this in 10 years or so!