Unlimited access >

What size halter?

I bought a weanling that needs to ship here, so I wanted to send the breeder a (cheapo) leather halter to send her in because she’ll be in a double stall. Breeder said great because she was on the last hole on her weanling halter anyway (7 mos old now). In pics and video she doesn’t look extraordinarily big but I can see that the older halter she is in now is definitely in the last hole. Not a dig on the halter or the breeder, only relevant in case halters were “smaller back then” or shrink with time because it’s nylon and has clearly seen some sunshine. I asked for some measurements and I’m still not convinced she’s ready for a yearling halter, but sending a weanling halter that won’t fit is pointless too. I don’t know her height or weight, but her parents are are 16.2 and big (sire) and 16.1 and average (dam), grandsires on both sides are closer to 17.

Suggestions from those who breed? She ships in March but I need to order soon so I can ship it to the breeder along with some ulcergard.

Can you get the breeder to measure the halter she’s currently wearing? Then you can order whatever size is the next largest in your preferred brand.

Since I have Arabs, I can’t go by the labeled sizes on anything, so this is what I do.

I have no idea about the halter, sorry. But…um…photos! Please! Baby photos would help us decide on the halter size maybe?

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’ll help, but my 11 month old Morgan just outgrew his web weanling halter. However, the weanling turnout halter I had bought for him was miles too small even a couple of months ago. I’d probably order yearling if it’s pretty adjustable.

She is too cute for words, I’m already smitten and the wait is killing me!! So of course I want the halter to be perfect hahah.

7 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

@TheJenners She is adorable! I can’t wait to see more of her once you get her home!

2 Likes

It’s so easy to punch holes in leather–a yearling halter seems like a good option if she’s outgrowing her weanling one.

Congrats, she’s adorable!

3 Likes

Well that’s a no-brainer, duh! The cute has robbed me of sensibility :laughing:

3 Likes

She is adorable. I love her four perfectly matched socks! How is she bred?

She’ll be registered Irish Sport Horse but by breeding she is mostly QH believe it or not. Dam is a QH, whose sire was an Appendix, and sire is ISH but by breeding is Irish, Dutch and Canadian Sport Horse with some TB in there. The socks are courtesy of the sire via Popeye K :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations!
But a question, when does a horse’s head stop growing? In terms of halter size? Not to hijack the thread, but I have an 18 month old draft gelding. His head looks pretty much the size of the other drafts I work with; aside from a much narrower jaw, which I expected because of his breeding That is to say in length in particular. Is he, at 18 months, inside the probable adjustments for the length and poll/head width or not? Or am I still looking at another halter and bridle size up?

She is the same coloring as mine…apparently four whites and bay completely fried my brain!

1 Like

YMMV, but I’ve never had a two year old outgrow a halter as they’ve gotten older. So before then? :grin:

Just wait until she gets home! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My coming three year old is almost out of his yearling halter. lol. But, I had a lot of adjustment room and bought the halter specifically to last as long as possible. At this point, its the nose band that is too small. It’s on the last hole and he only has about 3/4" of clearance. He takes is yawning very seriously and does not appreciate his mouth being limited when he’s trying to yawn with the halter on. hahaha

2 Likes

She’s too perfect <3 Congrats!

1 Like

She can’t be too perfect, I already have the perfect pony in my barn. Too much perfect draws unwanted bad attention… But she sure is danged cute :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Big Sporthorses here. Just moved the 4yr old filly into full-size Valhoma nylon halter. She has 2 holes to let it out still. Next size bigger is the cut down draft size halters. I buy them draft size, then have the chin straps made smaller to prevent getting a hoof caught in there.

Mine keep on growing, heads and bodies, long after age of 2yrs. Halters are set for a snug fit, not tight fit, on the skull. I hate the sloppy, unfitted leather halter look so many English horses wear. Ours do not wear halters when loose in pasture. Nylon halters do not shrink with age or washing. Can get really stiff when not washed, dirt in the webbing can rub horses making sores, white spots. I wash the nylon halters often to keep them clean and soft. Never had a nylon halter shrink.

Breeder should measure or try on a yearling size halter for fit. But without that information I would buy baby a yearling halter to come home in.

2 Likes

She’s adorable! Do you mind me asking where you bought her from? Thanks!