Unlimited access >

What's your deal breaker buying a new horse?

I cannot abide the horse that bolts. I don’t mean the silly little spook-n-scoots that any horse with eyes and ears might do. I mean the criminal-minded, take charge and give you the California howdy type of bolt. I don’t care how cheap it is, or how fancy, or how well bred. If I get a whiff of any of that, either from digging around in the horse’s history, or on a trial ride, I’m done. That being said, I also avoid horses listed as “quirky” - because quirky usually means dangerous in the wrong situation.

Physically, any serious arthritic changes in a horse that is less than 9, feet that require complicated shoeing, hind suspensory injuries, or neurological presentations/history. I can forgive a lot of bad x-rays if the horse presents as clinically sound and has no positive flexions.

4 Likes

I am at the point where I generally want unstated, except when started by my trainer or one of a few I like a lot.
I have zero interest in a horse who has learned to hide behind the bit, whether intentionally taught in the name of “softness” or just the horse’s tendency from handling not ideal for that horse (my gelding learned to duck contact on the track).
I also have no interest in a dull mind. I want sensitive thinkers. My older mare is a demonstrative emotional type, my younger is one to internalize. I don’t mind either, and both require I be sensitive as a rider. I do not like a push ride, but with those traits they can be taught to be in front of the leg and forward.
I don’t mind a horse who is a bit tight in the back except for the hovering type of tightness- I can’t ride that to work on loosening it! But generally I can get horses swinging and looser if they’re tight.
I am garbage at getting a horse who tends to let its hind legs trail to come under itself well, so that tendency is a complete deal breaker for me.
I have no desire to intentionally buy problems anymore, which is why I go young.

3 Likes

What did he do at that clinic? I find it so weird that a horse trained to GP can’t be trained to perform off the farm. Do tell! What was his story?

3 Likes

What is the hovering type? I have a few young De Niros that are tight, getting better but taking a very long time!

I’ve bought a few youngsters (late yearlings). I do all the key joints for xrays…might as well have a baseline to know what we are starting with.

I would shy away from a major OCD in the joint (been there done the surgery with a homebred). I would skip a severe club foot at that age. A youngster a front end lameness (unless just a bruise from being barefoot on rough ground) would make me pass…though I would be accepting of some sticky stifles, as I find a lot of youngsters go through a bit of a funky stifle age. As long as the vet wasn’t concerned I would be okay on that.

I would hard pass on any young horse that ear pins/gets aggressive when coming into their space. I want my youngsters to be curious and friendly…so if they are already feeling threatened about their space, it’s not going to be a good match for me. Now, my current 3yo was brutal when I saw him with his field buddy…total rough baby gelding play. He would completely grab a hold of the other gelding’s neck. But, when I came up to him, it was always ears up and social…we did have to reinforce the no nipping (he’s cheeky and will throw in a quick pinch if you aren’t paying attention)…but none of it is mean or aggressive. I like happy horses…the ones I’ve bought that had a cranky streak seem to be happy to ditch you with no remorse.

2 Likes

Instead of covering ground they just sort of float. Totally impressive looking, but not correct. They can be taught to be looser and if worked correctly develop impressive big gaits with a lot of suspension later - but I don’t have the capability to get them there.

He was just jumping out of his skin and screaming the entire time. The clinician thought it was funny that he was whinnying at the top of his lungs, but staying on the aids. He will usually buck if you try to get his attention back on you, and he can buck with the best of the saddle broncs, let me tell you. The long and short of it is, he just plain stops paying attention to his handler/rider.

I have him to the point that with ten minutes of trotting an 8m figure 8 (with spurs and whip engaged) he eventually remembers who he is, and goes back to work. But he never. shuts. up. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

If you’re talking about that totally awesome feeling “spongy trot”, which in general is kinda difficult to obtain, it’s easy to make it right. Just push the horse forward with your legs (the whole schenkel area), keep a soft contact with the bit, but don’t allow the horse to loose the collection.

1 Like

That would totally drive me up a wall. When we’re working, I want their attention on me, not on their buddy out in the pasture.

4 Likes

I feel for you. I found myself in a similar situation years and years ago… My trainer essentially dis-invited one of my TBs from trucking in to her farm until he learned to stop screaming. He wasn’t just neighing… it was the ear-popping, hysterical screaming of a herdbound horse. He did eventually make a great event horse and oddly only ever did it at her farm… but it stung a bit, for sure.

3 Likes

It depends on if I’m buying a horse I expect to sell or not. When we bought a youngster a few years ago, I was looking for X-rays that were not disqualifying (no early arthritis, super complicated feet, etc), and a good brain.

I’ve passed due to previous colic surgeries, and sold one quickly who turned out to like to stand on his hind legs the second you put him under pressure. I think, like a lot of folks, I have particular bugaboos about behavioral traits that don’t work well for me, but might not be disqualifying for others: so, I usually will pass on a horse whose go-to evasion is to stick his head up in your face like a giraffe, but I know other people who would be inclined to say no to one who liked to duck his head down and made you think he was going to buck or porpoise.

Oh, also: atypical for age maintenance in any horse or atypical for age melanomas in a grey would give me pause.

1 Like

Nope. Spongy feeling trot and tight don’t go together. Swing makes for a spongy trot.

I would not buy a young horse unless I was allowed to see it’s vet and care records. That would help me to know if there have been illnesses, injuries, and if regular maintenance has been done. I would do the standard 22 xrays and the back and neck. I would have a vet to a thorough health exam, including the mouth and let me know of any issues. This is a huge investment of money and time, you don’t scrimp on this. If, during the exam, there were one or two minor bone chips in places that didn’t affect joints and were easily removeable, that would not bother me and I would negotiate a price that included removal of the chips and took into consideration that down time. If there were chips or lesions that affected joints, even if there was no lameness, I would pass. I would do the 22 xrays first and make decisions as the xrays were taken whether to proceed or not, so it is important to be there during the vetting, if not in person, virtually. I know too many people who have dropped thousands on PPEs which could have been stopped when hitting the first big problem. I also would not buy a young horse with long toes and underslung heels. I would not buy any horse with terrible plantar angles. It is almost impossible to correct at that age and you will be battling it forever. Assuming the horse passes that part of the vetting, I would insist on a blood draw as well.

I will not buy a feral horse or one that has been badly handled (which you can easily tell by how friendly it is). I want one that leads nicely and respects human space. You need to watch it be caught from the field, led and tacked up.

1 Like

How young is “young” in your post?

Strictly from a medical standpoint: ocd and navicular are two that are big no’s for me.

I also worry most about PPE issues in a young horse. Lots of PPE findings are often things that “could become a problem, but we don’t know yet”. In a more seasoned horse that has a show record that demonstrates it’s been sound enough to progress, I’m less worried about how things might manifest in harder work

3 Likes

i despise people who sell horses that have physical problems.( Yes, i judge. big-time.) If you bred a problem horse, it’s your responsibility to take care of it forever. If you created the problem, every bit the same. If it happened on your watch, likewise. How people can think of their horses as disposable goods depresses me. Heck, when i traded in my old tractor i got sad for it…i worried about it’s next home and whether they would take good care of it and give it a shed. I am crazy, i know that. But just wanted to weigh in.

10 Likes

Depends on the nature of the “problem.” What is problematic to someone looking to do upper levels or long-distance rides might be perfect for someone staying at the lower levels or hacking around the farm. Undisclosed or crippling problems–yes, I absolutely agree! And of course as the seller you can never guarantee the horse’s future safety if you sell them on, so there’s that.

5 Likes

Not personable in some way. Objectively “ugly” or put together really poorly.

Lateral walk. Hides behind contact.

One that has learned a “dirty” trick to get out of working. Behind the leg can be fixed but I don’t want to mess with dangerous bad habits (bolt, big bucks, rears, etc.).

Complicated feet. History of colic (especially surgery). Anything that I would consider “high maintenance”. I’m not into the stress and don’t have deep pockets.

I would potentially consider a mild cribber that only does it in the stall since my horses are on 24/7 turnout.

1 Like

I mean 3 or 4 yo, ready to start or just started under saddle.

My guy had OCD. I was told it was removed but will never really know. He’s 21 years old now training PSG with piaffe passage. Mostly me holding him back not the other way around. Needed his first ever joint injections at the age of 20. Best horse on the planet hands down. I’d not think twice about buying another with OCD but of course depending on where the lesion is. But even then surgery options are rather non invasive for it.

2 Likes