Unlimited access >

Where are all of the Trick or Treaters?

It is five pm where I live, and the streets are deserted!! Usually the younger kids are out with their parents around now.

Have the recent events in America kept people inside? I hope not. This is exactly the type of reaction terrorists are after.

Is anyone else noticing this or is this just a freak thing in my neghborhood?

Horse Related- I would have one riding but I wanted to be here to hand out candy!

My hubby and I had a record number of kids come to our door this year. Last year we had 3 and the year before we had 1. This year we had at leat 40 come to the door. Of course, buying our first house in a truly residential area has helped. Heck, we even tried to give our cats away. LOL, but noone wanted them.

Paula, Ty came from a homeless kitty shelter. Nobody really knows where he came from, but the trip from Alberta to Dallas for a newborn kitty must’ve been pretty tough.

Your purple twinkle lights looked splendid on the neighbors house They were so happy to get them.

Yesterday was my first full day on a new job as a substitute teacher for our school district–I’m not supposed to have officially started till next week but, they called, and I thought I shouldn’t say no the first time ( I actually did a half day on Tuesday, but that wasn’t long enough to feel like the real deal)…anyway, on Halloween of all days I got a third grade class- and it was Halloween with the works-costumes (“Mrs. O’Connor, why aren’t you dressed up for Halloween?” “What do you mean, I AM dressed up, I’m being a TEACHER today, in REAL life, I’m a WITCH!”), a parade through town, and all…got home to my munchkins who were a witch and a cat (see below); they went trick or treating with a friend while my husband and I played catch up in the barn (I got the call to teach at 8:15 & had to start at 8:30); we then met up at the last neighborhood they hit, unfortunately, it started raining, and so no trick or treating for me this year–but we went to the friend’s annual Halloween party…I have to say I didn’t see many firemen and policemen in the crowds of costumes (the school has about 500 students)…were these “most popular costumes” a figment of the media’s imaginations? All in all though, a pretty normal Southampton Halloween…

We usually get 60 - 70 at our house, so it will be interesting to see how many show up this year. Last year we had fewer than normal because it was bad weather, but today it is a beautiful sunny 70 degrees. We have a big neighborhood Halloween parade beforehand, with lots of kids, animals and adults dressed up, which is always lots of fun.

When we lived in a condo, we would buy candy every year and never get a trick or treater. Wouldn’t you know that the year we decided not to buy any, two kids showed up at our doorstep. All I could find to give them was Tic Tacs!!

“Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.” - Dennis Miller
Still proud to be a UCLA Bruins football fan!

No candy for trick or treaters who aren’t dressed up.

I went this year but I dont think I will be going again ! Me and my freind were walking along having a great time when we saw this kid run and hide behind a tree. We thought that this was kind of weird but thought that if we ignored it he would leave us alone. Well… I was wrong!! So we are walking along and all of a sudden I get hit really hard and hear a crack. Then I feel alll this stuff come down my face. Turns out the kid egged me . My friend turns around because she hears this huge crack and hears me scream, and gets it all in her hair and some in her eyes. We went to a house where this nice lady lived and she gave us paper towels and went to find the kid. Unfortunately my dad had just gone home and we decided to get some more candy so he wasnt there. It makes me sad that this happened. Kind of ruined a good day… oh well…

Awwww, I’d take her! She’d match Ty perfectly.

Missy was abandoned at the barn where I used to board. She was declawed and the barn cats were beating the living daylights out of her. So I took her home and she has been with me ever since.

Kelly came from a homeless kitty shelter as well.

LOL @ Trixie, thats so true!

~Courtney~

Yesterday was my first full day on a new job as a substitute teacher for our school district–I’m not supposed to have officially started till next week but, they called, and I thought I shouldn’t say no the first time ( I actually did a half day on Tuesday, but that wasn’t long enough to feel like the real deal)…anyway, on Halloween of all days I got a third grade class- and it was Halloween with the works-costumes (“Mrs. O’Connor, why aren’t you dressed up for Halloween?” “What do you mean, I AM dressed up, I’m being a TEACHER today, in REAL life, I’m a WITCH!”), a parade through town, and all…got home to my munchkins who were a witch and a cat; they went trick or treating with a friend while my husband and I played catch up in the barn (I got the call to teach at 8:15 & had to start at 8:30); we then met up at the last neighborhood they hit, unfortunately, it started raining, and so no trick or treating for me this year–but we went to the friend’s annual Halloween party…I have to say I didn’t see many firemen and policemen in the crowds of costumes (the school has about 500 students)…were these “most popular costumes” a figment of the media’s imaginations? All in all though, a pretty normal Southampton Halloween…

If any kids show up at my apartment this year, they’re getting Met Rx bars or packets of oatmeal.

I would be more than happy to help you dispose of all that god-awful chocolate…even if it means eating every last piece all by my lonesome. It’s just the kinda girl I am

My poor mother is so depressed that we have only had one or two kids come this year. She always dresses up and has a great time. Meanwhile my dad told both of them that if they could lift our pumpkin (it’s 250 lbs) they could take it home Poor kids lol

Jess

If any stopped by my apartment, I could give them a bottle of club soda or some chicken broth!

At least you’ve figured out how to turn your bullion cubes in to broth! Let’s see, I could make the kids a margarita with this leftover mix… and we’ve got some cat food and cigarettes too!

OK, I’m going out now… if one more homeless person shouts “TRICK OR TREAT” in my ear I just may snap.

“People… they’re so
complicated. I suppose
that’s why I prefer
horses.”

Here is my other monster. This one highly dislikes disruptions in her life. The doorbell ringing is enough to send her climbing up walls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
I just had a van load of assorted sizes descend. You must get a picture in your mind. Our townhouse is on the end of a cul de sac. This van stopped up at the entrance and disgorged it’s swarming horde. They ran down the street, splitting into units that pounded doors and streamed across flower beds, abandoning slow providers when other potential victims’ lights came on.

From the smallest (@ age three) to the biggest (12 or so) not a one had made any effort for a costume, no face paint, no decking out the tot in a pillow case as a ghost, no paper grocery bag with neck and arm holes cut out and turned into a Native American outfit w/headband of construction paper feathers!

They held out their supersized, heavy duty pillow cases (guess that’s why they werent’ dressed as ghosts, needed the bedding for the loot) and stood there. I took my bowl of Hershey bars and M&M bags back in and came out with the bulk purchase granola bars. They each got one and did not wish me a Happy Halloween, thank you! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add to that equation none of them can say Trick or Treat in English, and you have described the majority of the visitors to our neighborhood. I will NOT fund the “begging for candy for aliens”. Call me a racist, but I do believe English is a requirement as is a kind Thank you.

This year we turned off all the front lights and closed the entry gate. Felt like a Scrooge because I do like the cute little guys…but I’m done.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

My 18-month-old son spent his Halloween in the ER on IVs

I was so sad. This was to be his first year trick-or-treating. I bought his costume months ago and had everything ready, even a little cloth pumpkin bag for candy that said “Trick Or Treat” and “Happy Halloween” when you squeezed the handle (he doesn’t talk yet, so I thought I could get him to use the pumpkin when people opened the door).

So, we when we got home last night I put him in his costume after his bath and let him spend about 15 minutes pretending to be a “ferocious” tiger for photographs. At least he won’t remember not going when he gets older! But Mommy was so disappointed!!

Duh
I just poked my head out the door for the first time and realized that its raining

Still- it wasn’t a little while ago and there were no ‘little ones’ (ya now, the pre-K set that the moms and dads bring around while it is still not too dark.)

Palomino, my dad usually dresses up too. Our neighborhood back home seems to go through cycles – kids are too old, then they go to college and a new swarm of families with young kids move in. I’m going to give him a call later and see how it’s going. The last couple of years I was home, nobody really came by.