Unlimited access >

Which Hunter Stallion??

I am looking at breeding my 16.3 OLD-NA registered hunter mare. I’ve been looking into quite a few stallions and could really use the opinion of you guys. The goal is to produce something with fantastic hunter form and movement. It would be nice to have something that could competitively do the Hunter breeding also. So I want a stallion that stamps his foals especially when it comes to movement and jump. Here are the stallions I’m looking at, which one would you pick and why? I want the foal to be 16.2hh+. luckily my mare is large in size. Stallions listed below. (FEEL FREE to comment with a stallion you personally like if you don’t see him here)

WESTPORTE
REDWINE
POPEYE K
JUST THE BEST
ROC USA (I’ve heard he has many jumper type foals so I’m wary)

I am no breeding expert but I love my 7 year old Westporte gelding and every other Westporte baby I’ve ever seen. The hack winner every time out and very amateur friendly brain (I broke him myself and have never fallen off him). I don’t know if this is typical but he really took a long time to mature physically - as an example, he grew almost an inch between 6 and 7.

1 Like

As a owner of a Redwine filly who adore I will say absolutely, positively cross him off your list. Popeye K tops my wish list personally.

I have never heard anyone with a bad word to say about their Westporte offspring - amateur friendly, good movers, good temperament for the hunter ring. Hard to go wrong with that choice. Some are slow to mature, but the ones I know haven’t been difficult in their growing-up phase and were very laid back.

In my recent horse-shopping, I also have run across quite a few nice offspring of Sir Wanabi as well, and he definitely stamps his offspring, so you might take a look at him also to see if your mare would be a good cross.

1 Like

I, personally, have never seen a Popeye K that I have liked. The ones I have seen are gorgeous, but don’t move or jump particularly well. I would also avoid Redwine - see other threads about that.

I bred to Crown Affair for a hunter a year ago. This April I got a gorgeous colt whom the vet says will be “huge.” To be fair, the dam was by 17.1 Rio Grande, but Crown Affair himself is 16.3. His temperament is outstanding - friendly and cooperative but really smart. I think Crown Affair is known to be like this himself. Lastly, he was inadvertently startled the other day and jumped a 4 and a half foot fence with room to spare at 7 months old. An athlete for sure!!

I bred a Westporte baby and agree with everyone above - absolutely great temperament. He was basically born broke. I will say however that he ended up huge - 17.3! And my mare is only 16.1 and a bit. Not a huge mare by any means. He just never stopped growing and was very slow to mature physically. He is 8 now and has finally come together physically and is quite stunning. His temperament is one of the best I have ever seen, not a mean bone in him but very very puppy dog like. Like in your pocket wants to follow you around type attitude and is yelling ‘pick me! pick me!’ all the time lol. Kind of a pest, but adorable at the same time! Haha He definitely got that outgoing temperament from Westporte as my mare is very stoic and reserved (but still friendly).

Good luck - I love all the stallions on your list! Also my personal favorites :slight_smile:

Add me to the Westporte bandwagon. Just the nicest offspring ever.

The only trendy hunter stallion whose offspring I CONSISTENTLY like is Westporte.

I also think you can get a very nice hunter foal with a good quality dressage stallion on top of a good moving hunter mare as long as the dressage stallion has some jump in the pedigree. I like Don Principe if you decide to go that route.

Can you give us more info, perhaps photos or video on your 16-2hh mare? Her breeding? her style of jump, way of moving? Heavy or light boned? Each of these guys offer you a different menu, which doesn’t mean they’re any better or worse, just a better match for her and you.

[QUOTE=huntcup;8407742]
Can you give us more info, perhaps photos or video on your 16-2hh mare? Her breeding? her style of jump, way of moving? Heavy or light boned? Each of these guys offer you a different menu, which doesn’t mean they’re any better or worse, just a better match for her and you.[/QUOTE]

Consider our stallion, Thanks for the Gold. He has been winning everything in the green conformation hunter division this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXidOtE4qc

His oldest get are two…so not competing yet…but, wonderful, floaty movement an free jump style as can be seen in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0_IbhVem4

These people may have taken the puppy dog personality a little far with this colt.

midasgold.jpg

[QUOTE=EllenAspen;8409014]
Consider our stallion, Thanks for the Gold. He has been winning everything in the green conformation hunter division this year.

His oldest get are two…so not competing yet…but, wonderful, floaty movement an free jump style as can be seen in this video.

These people may have taken the puppy dog personality a little far with this colt.[/QUOTE]

Wow, they are lovely!

[QUOTE=EllenAspen;8409014]

These people may have taken the puppy dog personality a little far with this colt.[/QUOTE]

Its amazing he looks just like his sire in a bay wrapper ! Exactly the same jump and expression.

I would totally breed my mare to Westporte if I was looking.

I’ve seen a few of Roc USA’s babies. Not my cup of tea. Definitely a finer more jumper type.

[QUOTE=Lynnwood;8409133]
Its amazing he looks just like his sire in a bay wrapper ! Exactly the same jump and expression.[/QUOTE]

I knew All the Gold back in his day; he did seem to stamp a lot of his offspring, and was successful himself. This young stallion is lovely; unfortunately I’m not looking to breed…

[QUOTE=Lynnwood;8409133]
Its amazing he looks just like his sire in a bay wrapper ! Exactly the same jump and expression.[/QUOTE]

I love that! His sire in a bay wrapper…I am going to use that…thank you!

Don Alfredo

I actually was also looking into Thanks for the Gold! I want to see more offspring of his however. Any of you have opinions on Don Alfredo? Does he throw a nice jump? Conformation?

Paparazzo

I also enjoy this stallion however he is very short looking, not a great neck from the photos I have seen. I am in love with his jump however. Any thoughts on him and what he throws?

You could also consider Cunningham. People seem to love their Cunningham babies and he throws huge. Look at his webpage for some pictures of his kiddos - gorgeous!

[QUOTE=HunterAmbassador;8414268]
I also enjoy this stallion however he is very short looking, not a great neck from the photos I have seen. I am in love with his jump however. Any thoughts on him and what he throws?[/QUOTE]

I have bred to him and will not in the future.

I bred my mare to Popeye K twice and both foals were stunning. Unfortunately we lost the first foal at an early age, but the second for al, a filly was very successful on the line, is a great mover and jumper. I would breed to Popeye K again, although I am going to try another stud when I breed again.

Has anyone out there bred to Bliss?