Unlimited access >

Who?

[QUOTE=Ridefromtheground;8896016]
Right now, I’m pretty amazed that no one can/will simply answer the question. Already stated “this is not my first rodeo.” Not looking for magic. Just looking for suggestions or experiences with really good TEACHERS.[/QUOTE]

I asked a question in order to try to figure out what kind of trainer would fit your needs. Some aren’t interested in solely haul-in lessons with people who aren’t going to meet up with them at horse shows. SO sorry for trying to give you a relevant answer.

Is it time to pop the corn?

and clearly… budget is not hindering this discussion… so hook up that trailer and just go to every one of them!

popcorn please

Why so defensive so fast? I know of/have worked with 3 really good trainers here in VA, all of whom could deal with a problem or diagnose what the problem IS, but they all have different teaching styles. And one is best hands down at figuring out the horse and teaching from that perspective, and another is better at breaking down into minutia for people who need to get it dummy-style, and the third is really best with people who like it short and sweet. Do you see why people are asking for a bit of direction with your question? They are trying to be more helpful to you rather than just throwing out random names of people who are at the top of the industry just now.

This is not an objective question. One teaching style will work great for one rider and not well at all for another rider. Different trainers have varying degrees of patience for their students as well, particularly if you are/are not in their program full time.

Ok that’s all for me. I was warned about this board.

[QUOTE=Ridefromtheground;8896290]
Ok that’s all for me. I was warned about this board.[/QUOTE]

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/OohBurn.gif

Were you warned that if you come ask an extremely vague question that includes a very large geographical area that you would be asked clarifying questions…cause that’s all I see going on here…sheesh

Do your own research (aka web search, trial lessons, phone calls,etc) if you can’t even handle a few pointed questions from people genuinely trying to be helpful

http://imgur.com/gallery/jLZTk9I

Is it a horse problem or a rider problem?

If it’s a horse problem, is he stopping? Unsound? Not scopey enough? Missing lead changes? Not rateable? Too much on the forehand? Pulling? Behind the bit? hitting the jumps? Not tight with his front end?

If it’s a rider problem, is it mental or physical? Are you afraid? Lack confidence? Unfit? Poor vision? Can’t see the jumps? Don’t now how to put your horse on the outside rein? Pull to the chip? Kick to the long weak one? Hitting your horse in the mouth?

Without knowing more about the problem, there can be no solution offered. Based on the fact that you picked up your toys and went home at the first sign of someone wanting to offer you help tailored to your needs if you’d just answer a couple more questions, I diagnose the problem as you not giving your horse a chance to be a good horse and expecting him to answer your questions without giving him all the info.

Every day, ride the horse you have, not the horse you want, or the horse you expect.

I was thinking Don Stewart and Frank Madden before I even scrolled down, the “ability to diagnose a problem” really made me think of those 2.

Greg Best, sadly I’ve never had the pleasure.

ETA: I see you’re no longer listening. NVM.

So pretty much everyone responded with follow-ups designed to elicit more information in order to provide the best answer for you. In response, you get defensive about your overly vague question, behaving as though you’ve been attacked somehow? Never mind.

What is the point in knowing who the “best trainer” is if that trainer only accepts clients in a full package, is never home, doesn’t generally dabble in problem horses, etc.? If you are the seasoned adult you proclaim yourself to be, you already know who the trainers with the biggest and best reputations are. Go find them.

I suspect the OP had motives other than lessons for self. :wink: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ridefromtheground;8895493]
Big name is not important. Need someone with the ability to watch horse and rider, diagnose and solve problem.[/QUOTE]

Recommending a good trainer is a little like recommending a good restaurant or hair stylist. Sometimes you want to keep a good thing secret.

Also, people are protective of good trainers and are not likely to refer some random person from the internet - especially if said person seems to be difficult to please. In less than six hours from your original post, you’re already frustrated with the COTH community. You seem unable to give context to your request, yet by giving context, you could have opened yourself to a lot of great suggestions.

Did they say we generally don’t like rude people? That’s probably true.

My thoughts exactly. This isn’t how you do market research haha

[QUOTE=snaffle635;8896431]Recommending a good trainer is a little like recommending a good restaurant or hair stylist. Sometimes you want to keep a good thing secret.

Also, people are protective of good trainers and are not likely to refer some random person from the internet - especially if said person seems to be difficult to please. In less than six hours from your original post, you’re already frustrated with the COTH community. You seem unable to give context to your request, yet by giving context, you could have opened yourself to a lot of great suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this.

Val renihan

[QUOTE=Bells32;8896577]
Val renihan[/QUOTE]

She’s gone, Val/ Maggie/ customer of Val’s

Jack Towell. Harold Chopping. If you were actually serious that is

Well that went south quick, didn’t even have time to open the trailer and set up the chairs for the Blue Saddle Diner.

I would actually be interested to see everyone who asked follow up questions provide one name. Generally on this board, when people ask follow up questions, even if the OP answers them the original follow upper never actually provides a name then. It is my experience from having seen my share of these threads over the yeard that the people who ask “follow up questions” to “tailor their answer” generally have no intention whatsoever of actually providing an answer no matter what the OP says or does.

I once was moving to a large city and didn’t know yet where I wanted to live. So I asked COTH for good trainers in that city so I could follow up with the trainers myself and see which ones might work and possibly decide to live near one of them, and COTHers spent so much time lecturing me that the city was BIG and there was lots of TRAFFIC so they couldn’t possibly provide a relevant answer unless I was more specific that I got literally zero suggestions in two pages.

So I would be interested in everyone who asked follow up qiestions actually providing one name, any name. OP cam do her own research on whether they take trailer ins or whatever she needs from them.

OP, a trainer of mine once told me that Larry Glefke is a savant of a trainer. He happened to help her once or twice with one of her horses and she said he had an amazing eye and got right to the heart of whatever she was doing like no one she had encountered before.

I had this conversation literally ten+ years ago and have no idea if he takes trailer ins or if he even works with the general public, COTH, but all she asked for was a name, so there’s one. OP can find out the rest herself.

See? No “follow up” questions necessary.