Unlimited access >

WILLEM: feed your horse der RIGHT WAY

Mein Schatzis und Stud Muffins,

Mein friends und mein selve we haff beed talking a-bout some big problemo wot mannie off you haff. Und zo, for der sake von your horsje, I be splaining this to you right now.

Mannie off you wenn you make dinner for your horsje, you haff big bucket und you throw every thing in bucket und mix it up all together.

THIS IT BE WRONG.

We loff flavor und variety. Und zo, mebbe you can to do this:

1. wenn you putt out der hay, like iffen you only giff one flavor off hay putt ein handful (wot you make this ein big handful) von other flavor on top or next to main hay

2. wenn you do der grain stuff und things, get big feeder. Like wot it haff flat space for things.

3. make little piles. Mein selve I loff wenn der sunflower seeds they be in one pile und der karotten be in one pile und other treats be in one pile und Senor Feed (this it be food for growed up horsjes mit Mehicano spices) in one pile und feed mit poison (like Bute und stuff in things) in one pile

Wenn you do this we can to haff mannie flavors. Iffen you don’t nott to agree mit this, take it up mit Emeril Lagasse.

I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

It’s not for nothing that his handle is “Like David Lee Roth, Only Chestnut.”

Hullo Herr Papa Willem Daddy,

It is your son, Duc-ster. My dummy new mommie fixes good dindins and breakfst because she doesn’t MIX it together like slop. It is very tasty like this. Sometimes, she says I should wear a tie for dinner because I am so neat.

Herr Papa Willem Daddy, what is a tie? I am growing so much these days I am tired and cranky.

By the way, I just wanted to remind you I only have 13 days until my big boy chat with you. About the fillies and the bees.

I loff you very much. And I also loff Lyle Lovett.

Le Duc de Willem
(but you can call me Duc-ster)

Coreene,

Ja, I be telling her dis. You zwei be having a looong lunch, please zo Willem und me can go surfing und shopping alles die tag long.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Dorina

LauieP, she don’t nott to know wot she be saying. Mein selve I haff all ways finished mein Poison Pile, und iffen I haff leaved stuff this wot it be becose der Senor Food it haff beed stale mebbe or some thing like that.

Wenn it be really nasty und I can to smell this, I say to Coreene (I loff her), “This it be wrong,” und if she don’t nott to listen to me I take it from her hands mit mein teeth und throw little flat bucket through air like Frisbee so she don’t nott to pollute her selve.

I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

Aha! I just discovered today that Barbie, the Hanoverian Cow Beast, is a long-distant relative of Herr Willem! I now understand her persnickety eating habits!

It’s a family trait: Being able to detect any type of “poison food” even when it’s buried in five quarts of sweet feed. I swear, I’ve tried even the sweetened powdered bute, and Barbie can sense it. Antibiotics? I use a coffee grinder until the pills are dust and she still refuses it.

Barbie: Like Madonna, only dark bay.

Willem haft sayed

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mein selve I loff big black rubber corner feeder!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ja, you loff it be-cose it beed looking like me, big und black

xoxoxoxoxoxox

Dorina

Willem, sweetie…<smooches>.now I ask…should the feeder be made of china, too ? Or just an embellished decorative cleanable metal???

Make my horses name…Shogun Jack, built like THE ROCK, only coppery bay <watching the mares swoon>

Eileen

“If the world were truly a rational place. men would ride side saddle.” Rita Mae Brown

The Long Island Horsemen’s Society web page
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/lihs/

DORINA! My goodness, PLEASE tell your modder (you loff her) that there is something wrong with my email and I can’t remember her email address; I can’t get into my normal email right now so I will call her tomorrow so we can arrange lunch and talk about you and Willem behind your backs!

And congratulations about your trip to LAEC, my little daughter in law schatzi!

M’lord, dear Willem, I haff bein aggreein wit you for sho long, my modder haff been feedin me dis aweful smelly “garh lick” and mic-shin it in with mein food!
Moor den people interruptin mein eatin time I shtrongly dishlike my modder & carrie putting in dish nasty stuff in wit mein food.
Pleash talk some sense into dem!
-Cocoa [or Beau Peep]

My modder, she bein member off the 'I canter" clique.
-I be a Welsh panonie, and this come straight from mein mouth. (Along with all the karotten juice. -:rapid nod:-)

Willem, I have missed you! Where have you been?!

Mickey’s only demand for feeding time is no Tri Hist in his dinner, thankyouverymuch. If there’s Tri Hist in it, I will be wasting my money because he will not eat the dinner. Although somehow he manages to gobble up all the carrots and apples that are mixed in.

Willem, do you have any advice on shaving whiskers relative to eating dinner? Mickey has medium length whiskers, perfect for foraging I think. But I have one friend whose mare has very very long whiskers. They aren’t very becoming on her, yet he refuses to trim them. Another friend always trims her horse’s whiskers so he doesn’t have any.

What’s your take on that?

“Both rider and horse must enjoy the work. This is the essence of success” - Reiner Klimke

Mein selve I loff big black rubber corner feeder!

Willem, Willem, if you throw the pail through the air like a Frisbee, your modder (you loff her) can always get the BALLING GUN out and poison you that way.

Oh, the indignity of it! Think about it! A cold, metal tube, clanging against your teeth, shove WAAAAAAAY back in your throat and then WHAM! Poison pellets dispensed in your throat so you can’t do anything about it, except taste them…

Is the Poison Pile sounding any more appetizing???

Laurie

Laurie P, you are right - the only way to get him to eat it is to make sure the Poison Pile is a VERY LARGE PILE, so large that it totally dilutes the poison!

Willem!

How nice to hear from you. I hope you have had a pleasant winter.

I took your advice and separated my horse’s feed into piles:

vitamins (McCauley’s M30 - very tasty!)
cracked corn
carrots (cut on the bias, of course, to expose more of the tender hearts)
biotin (McCauley’s Biotyme - also pretty tasty, they make it with oats)
two apple wafers
and the newest addition: SUNNIES!

It is very educational to watch him eat. He finishes one pile before he goes to another. The order he eats it all in:
Carrots.
Apple wafers.
Corn.
Vitamins.
Biotin.
Sunnies (though I think he is still getting used to them, he does seem to enjoy them)

Thank you again for enlightening us slow-thinking humans.

Give Coreene a smooch from all of us. We hope her poppa is feeling well.

Good wishes from Kentucky!

“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship.”
-Louisa May Alcott

Willem, your dislike of bute has preceded you - I can’t imagine you getting hungry enough to eat from the Poison Food Pile.

I’m afraid you are busted, mein pferde friend!

Laurie

How do you deal with him, Coreene?

And now, here he is, trying to go around you and incite horsey riots everywhere.

To think I ALMOST fell for it…

Laurie

Nein, wenn they leave food this wot it mean that der poison it be unreal. Icky. Mein selve I haff asked for der poisoned food to be in separate pile becose then I can to eat it later wenn I get desperado for ein snack.

Mit whiskers, I don’t nott to like them wenn they be verrie verrie verrie verrie verrie long becose then you look like ein Billy Goat und Billy Goats they stink. It be ein nice stink like wot horse poop it be ein nice stink, aber it don’t nott to be good wenn you haff Billy Goat whiskers und you be ein Horse.

Thanks for the tip, Willem … I have been doing it wrong for too long.

So, the flax seed supplement stays on top of the Equine Adult (no mexican flavorings!), not mixed in.

And the carrots to the side.

Mints for the garnish … but the little mare always eats them first if I put them on top.

Willem, we miss you when you are quiet for so long!

Well, in all my years with horses, I would never have thought of this! When we humans would complain to our mothers that they were mixing the foods up on our plates (I hate that; I like my little piles of flavor, too) they would say “It all goes to the same place.” Ignoring entirely the fact that our tastebuds are not in that “same place.”

I hope your advice helps many horses have more satisfying meals.

Or, is this just your plan to get the poisoned food separated from the good food so you can ignore it, or push it on the floor and PRETEND you ate it?

Laurie