Unlimited access >

William Fox Pitt Clinic

I have William coming in Nov. 5 and 6 at Morningside Training Farm in VA. I’m opening it up to auditing for both days. Please email for registration: tempichange@gmail.com

You’d better get some fireworks in if it’s Nov 5th !

Ooh, you lucky, lucky dogs! Why do all the good people clinic in Virginia???

wow…and I was going to take what was left of my vacations days foxhunting! silly me!

I normally work weekends, but I may have to make an exception for this!

I’ve received a lot of email over WFP’s clinic, while I think I got everyone replied to here’s a few FAQ’s:

1. When is the clinic:
    November 5 & 6

2. Where is the clinic:
    Morningside Training Farm The Plains, VA.

3. How much is the clinic to audit?
    $20 per person per day. Open to everyone. But please register in advance.

4. Are there riding spots.
    Yes.

5. How do I apply?
    First read what we’re looking for:
    http://eventingnation.com/home/exclusive-william-fox-pitt-clinic-opportunity.html

Then, if you feel like applying just email tempichange@gmail.com with all the details you want to include for review.

1. Can I come for free?
    Sorry, unless you are credentialed media, a groom, or blood relation to WFP, nope.

2. Will the clinic be outdoors or indoors?
    Mostly outside, but we have the option of going in in case things get elemental.

3. Why won’t you consider anything below training level?
    Clinician preferences. Sorry!

4. What does auditing include?
    Gate admission. BYO everything.

I currently ride at N. I find it amusing when people are angry that a 4* rider doesn’t want to teach BN/N/T. I mean, he is awesome, but he is above what I need to learn LOL

[QUOTE=HappyHorselover;7167464]
I find it amusing when people are angry that a 4* rider doesn’t want to teach BN/N/T. [/QUOTE]

I agree. I am nowhere near a genius but I would fail miserably trying to teach kindergarten or first grade! He and ‘the other guy’ doing these dream clinics ARE geniuses. :slight_smile: At certain levels it IS best to audit. And begin to learn why you need to continue to be struggling with the correct basics, and to develop an eye and a feel for it.

oh and p.s. It’s been said that the best teachers are the ones that can remember how they themselves learned so let’s give these guys credit for anything that they could dredge up! :lol:

When is the deadline to apply?

[QUOTE=ccr0009;7167575]
When is the deadline to apply?[/QUOTE]

Friday, 8pm est

And can you ballpark what cost to ride would be if the rider is accepted? PM is fine if you’re still figuring it out.

tempichange, you’ve got me stumped with your categories:

There are four groups for which you can apply: Future Event Horses, Young Riders and Under 25s, Training/Preliminary, and 3*/4*. Only horses and riders who are currently successful and confirmed at the Training level and above will be selected.

1. You must mean ‘Training level or above’. In other words, the absolute minimum standard is solid Training level.

2. Given that the horse must be successful and confirmed at Training level or above, what would constitute a ‘Future Event Horse’?

3. What exactly is ‘successful and confirmed’ at Training level? I’ve had many a horse that would be considered ‘confirmed’ at T or P, but ‘successful’ is a matter of opinion. It is not unusual for a very good horse to have crap dressage scores at the LLs, and ‘success’ in the LLs – in terms of placings – can be heavily (too heavily, IMO) weighted toward dressage.

4. You say the clinic is for Training and up, then you have a group called ‘Future Event Horses’ and a group called ‘Training/Preliminary’. Could you articulate the differences between those categories?

5. What will be the height/difficulty for the Young Riders and Under25s? As you already have a Future Event Horse group and a Training/Prelim group, what will the youth contingent be doing at the clinic?

6. This is a separate issue, more like just something I’m wondering about: Do 3* and 4* horses do challenging jumping clinics in November? The season is over at that point and it’s a little early to be preparing for 2014. I would think those horses would be on a break. (And I’m not sure how likely this lot is to show up at clinic anyway.)

I’m not trying to be difficult. I just don’t understand, and I do have a horse or two who might enjoy this.

:slight_smile:

I’m all over this for auditing! I have two horses who could “qualify,” but my season is over by the end of October and both horses will be running around barefoot, chasing bears. So I will be there with video, camera, notepad, you name it.

I live about a 1/2 hour from the clinic so if folks are coming into town, let me know. This should be extraordinarily awesome!

That’s my issue. If all goes well, I’ll have a horse qualified for a CCI3* at the end of this seaon. But three weeks after Fair Hill, he’ll be barefoot, getting fat on his off season. Plus, I’d prefer to do a flat day and a sj day, I’m not big on schooling him cross country, particularly at Morningside, which is very, very hilly. (Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fantastic facility with a lovely schooling course, but my lad is terrible at XC schooling now that he’s in the big time.)

[QUOTE=HappyHorselover;7167464]
I currently ride at N. I find it amusing when people are angry that a 4* rider doesn’t want to teach BN/N/T. I mean, he is awesome, but he is above what I need to learn LOL[/QUOTE

I have to totally disagree that any rider or instructor is above what a rider needs to learn. When I first started taking serious lessons for eventing at 54 I trained with Leslie and Lesley Law, I currently train with someone who was at one time Leading Lady Rider. I’ve never gone above BN although I did endurance and CT for decades and grew up in a riding family.

The BNRs that I have ridden with have imparted knowledge in a much more succinct manner and brought a clearer picture of what I needed to do in order to achieve my goals but, the level at which a person rides is not indicative of his or her teaching ability as well. Personally, I don’t know if WFP is “awesome” as an instructor, he is a great rider because of his record is he as good an instructor? And lastly, how do you know what you don’t need to learn? Thankfully, I was not intimidated by a person’s status as a rider or trainer and I wanted to learn everything I could.

This may come off as a rant, sorry. . . I just don’t see the pedestal WFP has put up on. A really good instructor can teach BN through 4* and everyone goes away with something. I think you’re selling yourself short , which is the reason for the mini rant. . .

FWIW, I don’t think we should assume that WFP doesn’t want to teach lower levels. But he is here for two days and surely we will agree that as a whole, we will benefit more from the UL horse/rider combinations taking the spots, assuming that the spots will be filled asap. As an auditor, I would like to watch my trainer out there receiving instruction, and not someone who is just starting out.

So I do think the greatest benefit will come from taking those coveted spots and giving them to the experts.

Balancing the needs of the riders and the needs of the viewing audience is really tricky with this clinic. We’re currently in the process of vetting the riders (and processing applications to ride). With who is applying there will be some shift in how the groups are defined and ultimately formed. But at the moment, that’s what we’re interested in seeing because of the diversity, quality and interest it has generated from both auditing and riding sides of the fence.

The trust riders know best when it comes to their horses and we trust them and their judgement as to ride which horse where.

I do hope to see everyone from Chronicle out there, it would be a fun time:)

[QUOTE=tempichange;7168247]

The trust riders know best when it comes to their horses and we trust them and their judgement as to ride which horse where. [/QUOTE]

This doesn’t make sense. I appreciate that you’re going through the effort of putting on a clinic but please understand, clinics are expensive (and you still haven’t put a price on yours), weekends away are expensive, and, speaking for myself and my team, we like to know what we’re signing up for.

If I don’t know what you consider a ‘Future Event Horse’, how can I apply to that group? The term ‘Future Event Horse’, as used by the USEA, refers to a horse that has NEVER evented or competed under saddle. Yet your version of a ‘Future Event Horse’ requires that it is, at the very least, a confirmed Training level competitor, which means that it is already an eventer. If the horse is competing at a higher level, like Prelim, no one would call that horse a ‘future eventer’.

A horse competing at Training and/or Prelim could also be considered a Training/Prelim eventer which would not appear to be any different from what you call a Future Event Horse.

Is it really too much to ask that you define your terms? Try as I might, I can’t read your mind. :slight_smile:

I am a bit confused, like JER. What is a Future Event Horse? I would apply for my rider and talented horse but have no idea if he is far enough along for what the clinic would offer or if he would be a beneficial “case” for the auditors to see. The total unclarity about it has me questioning.

I’m not saying he can’t teach a BN/N rider or doesn’t want to - more that it’s kinda silly since his skills are so far above a BN/N rider. Like it’s silly to pay to ride with a Grand Prix dressage rider if you don’t know your canter leads, you know?