Unlimited access >

William Fox Pitt Clinic

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7168189]

So I do think the greatest benefit will come from taking those coveted spots and giving them to the experts.[/QUOTE]

But that’s not what was listed - a few years ago, with my big horse, I was confirmed and successful at Training by anyone’s standards, but would be considered an “expert” worthy of a “coveted spot” by no one!

I don’t have a problem with a clinician of this stature deciding how to limit his coaching - although lucky for us smurfs not all of them do – just with the unclear way in which “who should apply” was worded.

It would be really helpful if the clinic organizers could explain more clearly what the Future Event Horse category is supposed to include. I assume if you are confirmed etc at Training and under 25, or over 25, you are good to go in one of the other groups?

[QUOTE=HappyHorselover;7168427]
I’m not saying he can’t teach a BN/N rider or doesn’t want to - more that it’s kinda silly since his skills are so far above a BN/N rider. Like it’s silly to pay to ride with a Grand Prix dressage rider if you don’t know your canter leads, you know?[/QUOTE]

Agree. And I am not that interested in auditing if it involves teaching canter leads! :smiley:

Doesn’t bother me in the least as to who he’d like to teach. I’m just trying to find out whether it’d be something we’d want to submit an application for for either the young horse or for one of the more experienced horses (with a professional or legitimately solid rider), but without pricing information and information about what you’re looking for in the YEH group, it’s hard to know whether we’d have appropriate entries. I don’t want to waste your time if it’s going to be priced well above our likely price range, but might be interested if we could get more info.

Tempi - there’s a lot less discussion if you group things objectively w/few words.
Something like:
+3’ Green horse group
3’6 group
+3’9 group
Maybe a YR group, but, I don’t see the purpose -

First, I believe the group descriptions are adequate. Myself and the committee have receive and continue to receive applications (currently well over 50) from the East, Midwest and South. Every group is competitive, and all classes of riders and types of horses are applying to them.

So, I apologize things aren’t more directly laid out. But if 50 people have figured things out, I’m pretty positive about how things are worded.

Secondly as to pricing, I’m very hesitant to put out a public price, then have to redact it on multiple communication platforms especially when I’m waiting on confirmation on final flight pricing and sponsors. This should be confirmed shortly, and I’ll be happy to share it when it’s done. Until then, please hold tight.

Third, it’s a privilege to have WFP here and publicly teaching. He’s exceptionally classy, a brilliant, and thorough teacher. He took time out of his schedule to come when he didn’t have to. I agreed to his terms, so it’s my responsibility to execute them, and I feel that they’re very within reason.

Despite this, I’m thrilled and beyond tickled with who has applied and the continued response from the community. Everyone has done a great job to support this event. I’m really happy to be at Morningside, a superb facility with excellent footing and a great staff, who has helped in numerous ways at this point- they’re first class in my book. I’m tickled with COTH, Practical, PRO and Eventing Nation who are helping promote the event, and giving space to a two day clinic. Heck, I’m even happy with USEA who is doing the insurance.

It really has a community feel, which above all is what this sport is about.

Finally, if you are interested in applying, I sincerely encourage it. Every application received is looked over and reviewed, everyone gets a response. You have until Friday 8pm EST to get it to reach my email box.

If you can’t ride for whatever reason, or don’t want to apply I also encourage auditing. I think the price is reasonable for the quality of instruction that is given. It should be a fun time; and again, it would be fun to have a nice forum presence during this. I do ask that you also register in advance so I know how to instruct my gate crew and that everyone at least gets a hello and some directive.

First, I believe the group descriptions are adequate. Myself and the committee have receive and continue to receive applications (currently well over 50) from the East, Midwest and South. Every group is competitive, and all classes of riders and types of horses are applying to them.

So, I apologize things aren’t more directly laid out. But if 50 people have figured things out, I’m pretty positive about how things are worded.

Secondly as to pricing, I’m very hesitant to put out a public price, then have to redact it on multiple communication platforms especially when I’m waiting on confirmation on final flight pricing and sponsors. This should be confirmed shortly, and I’ll be happy to share it when it’s done. Until then, please hold tight.

Third, it’s a privilege to have WFP here and publicly teaching. He’s exceptionally classy, a brilliant, and thorough teacher. He took time out of his schedule to come when he didn’t have to. I agreed to his terms, so it’s my responsibility to execute them, and I feel that they’re very within reason.

Pretty much common sense to me. Sounds like a great clinic. I wish my horse was proven at Training.

The price question I think is more valid. The most expensive clinic in our area right now is Boyd at around $450. If my horse were proven at Training, it would be helpful to know if this was in a ballpark of, say, $400 to $600, or (yikes) $600 to $900… etc.

[QUOTE=tempichange;7169106]

It really has a community feel, which above all is what this sport is about. [/QUOTE]

But your refusal to answer the most basic questions and all your talk about ‘the committee’ and ‘staff’ doesn’t have a community feel to it at all.

Imperious is more like it.

To the average horse person (even a ‘successful’ one), a sleepaway weekend clinic is a sizable investment of time, money and effort. You go there wanting to have a good educational experience. One very big part of this is ensuring that your horse(s) are in the appropriate group. I simply wouldn’t trust you and ‘the committee’ to do the placing for me, especially given the vague, conflicting categories that you’ve designated. Those categories sound to me like you aren’t very familiar with eventing or eventing clinics in the US.

We did give this some consideration but we’ll be sticking with our original plan and going to the concurrent George Morris clinic. We know which group we’ll be in, levels are all spelled out on the entry form, so we know we’ll be doing exactly what we signed up for.

I have to laugh at the description of WFP as “classy”.( I have no doubt that he’s an upstanding good guy).

I’m sure he’s thrilled with the “classy” description. :lol:

I’ve only heard that term used by actresses, portraying gum chewing ladies dressed in leopard print tank tops…

My British grandmother (who is responsible for my knowing all three verses of God Save The Queen since I was five years old) is, I’m sure, laughing. She is now voyaging around the planet in the gulfstream, where she requested her ashes be placed, since she “always liked to travel”.

For those who are not familiar with “British-isms” this is a good guide if you are attending the WFP clinic; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10280244/Translation-table-explaining-the-truth-behind-British-politeness-becomes-internet-hit.html

Oh JER, stop snacking on your meow mix!

Does COTH have to always be so snarky? So what if we don’t know what it costs yet? It’s not like you’re required to give them your credit card. You can always apply and then withdraw if its over your budget.

As for wanting to be in a definite group, geeze oh Pete! Most clinics have vaguely defined groups before hand and its rarely YOUR choice as to where you will be placed.

Harrumph!

[QUOTE=JER;7169134]
But your refusal to answer the most basic questions and all your talk about ‘the committee’ and ‘staff’ doesn’t have a community feel to it at all.

Imperious is more like it.

To the average horse person (even a ‘successful’ one), a sleepaway weekend clinic is a sizable investment of time, money and effort. You go there wanting to have a good educational experience. One very big part of this is ensuring that your horse(s) are in the appropriate group. I simply wouldn’t trust you and ‘the committee’ to do the placing for me, especially given the vague, conflicting categories that you’ve designated. Those categories sound to me like you aren’t very familiar with eventing or eventing clinics in the US.

We did give this some consideration but we’ll be sticking with our original plan and going to the concurrent George Morris clinic. We know which group we’ll be in, levels are all spelled out on the entry form, so we know we’ll be doing exactly what we signed up for.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry you feel that way, but I don’t have to justify anything to you, or explain who I am. Especially if you have already made up your mind prior to this.

I hope you get in with George. He’s always a fun one. Just remember to tuck in your shirt, wear a belt, and leave the jointed irons at the door.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7169181]
Oh JER, stop snacking on your meow mix![/QUOTE]

There’s nothing catty in asking reasonable questions about a clinic.

I haven’t seen any snark here. I’ve seen people – experienced eventers – asking reasonable questions about the clinic.

It’s about planning and budget. Maybe you can just pop a horse in the trailer and take off for several days at any given time but we can’t. There are other horses to care for and train, there are other competitions on the schedule. For the same reason, and also because we pay our own way, we have to know how much money is going where and when.

This hasn’t been our experience at all. We’re very careful about clinics because we want to find the right fit for the right horse. And then we have to explain it all to JMP. I wouldn’t want to be the one to tell him we’re going to a clinic but we’re going to let the organizer – who we don’t know – choose the group we’re in. He’s not the sort of guy who likes to leave anything to chance, especially where horses and jumping are concerned.

And for more entertainment (yellow Britches) Heeeeeers the WFP Thread!:lol:

Really, all this hoo ha about a clinic. Lucinda clinics every year right near my farm and there’s never this amount of discussion, as does Jimmy and a cast of thousands. . . carry on.

I don’t have a dog in this fight since my horse is barely confirmed at novice at this point :slight_smile: and I don’t do clinics with clinicians I have not audited before.
I want to say though, that I agree with JER on the response to 2 reasonable questions posed by multiple experienced eventers on this forum.
I am glad 50 people have figured it out, but there are some people here (including myself) who are unclear on what those group names mean- I think that response was snarky and did not need to be. There are non-snarky ways to say you are not going to provide further explanation. But your clinic, your decision.
JMO

But, Eventer 55,
They are familiar, wonderful event gods. WFP is bright and shiny new to us- which gives him the excitement factor…:winkgrin:

So, is the clinic going to be streamed to Yellow Britches for her color commentary?
Will she be on site for interviews? Inquiring minds want to know all the details:)

If I had my horses with JMP, it’s very likely that I would not take a single step until he had vetted out the situation and the clinician, the objectives for each group, the group requirements and schedule, and approved. He’s just a much an eventing god as WFP, and I would quake in my boots to do anything he hadn’t blessed.

Count me in as not trusting a stranger & a “committee” - now that makes me chuckle - to make the correct decision for my horse & rider. A bit too wise for that. I don’t care who you think you are :lol: I was going to suggest using the GM clinic marketing lit as a template, or, there are also the Equine Affair clinic apps…

I carefully choose my clinics, the clinicincian isn’t the only factor, a shotty organizer can ruin things. Perhaps those 50 applicants took a leap of faith, or are personally familiar with your event planning credentials. No wonder our country is in such debt & others monopolize on this attitude - quick, throw time & money at something w/o an accurate description, into the hands of an Internet persona, and disregard all consequences. Better yet, who are we as givers of cash & time to question? Why should we be given an explanation? I mean, taking time to submit an application - can I bill you for that if it was a waste of my time?

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7169376]
He’s just a much an eventing god as WFP[/QUOTE]
More.

And from my limited experience with JMP - he doesn’t ‘do’ thoughtless-ness :wink: I think he might be wondering if anyones been listening, or if their are rocks up there, if after being his client you engaged in such behavior (while planning) :lol: Akin to GM, shaking in my boots is right :yes:

Well, I am having the darnedest time figuring out who JMP might be, LOL. I guess I’m just not in the inner circle. :). Tsk tsk.

JMP is J. Michael Plumb is Mike Plumb.

He’s been around awhile and knows a few things about training the event horse.

Aha! That was my first guess. You ride with Mike. Gotcha!

It was the J for John that had me stumped. But when I thought NC and male and the MP… and the idea that there really is a J in front of Michael… It started to come to me.

Why not plan on auditing? It’s almost as good and you can watch a lot more if you don’t have horses to manage.

Here’s my guess: there will be a ton of local riders asking to do this clinic. And we are in the center of Eventing Olympia here. I figure that it will be awesome to watch and learn and little ole me would do better to sit out and watch talented horse rider pairs do it like it should be done. I will then go home and write a book on what was done…