Unlimited access >

Worried 15.2 too small to be my 3ft hunter

We have a large pony (top of the line) who could make the horse stride (smaller rated) look easy, and a small horse (15.1 and change) who looked like he was sprinting down the lines in a 2’6 class. Really have to watch how they move.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight! I just added video to my post. I am new to this so it’s hard for me to tell and my trainer is ill right now so I can’t be in as much contact with him as I’d like!

Others will have much better advice than I would about the movement of the horse, but one thing to consider is that in the event that he was not able to comfortably and safely do the three ft. with your riding style/ability, you could do him in the 2.6, which might be just as fun, just an idea. I often see on here the idea that “most horses and ponies can jump 3ft,” but there is a lot of difference between one that can do it nicely to be reasonably competitive and/or safe in the hunters, local, regional, and one that can barely do it and who is frightening to watch, cannot or will not bail out the rider for lack of scope, both of these possibilities depending, again, on the ability of the rider to get the horse to a good or at least a decent distance.

Just a note about local circuits: I think they vary widely depending on region and organization. In my current area, there is a very competitive local circuit that mixes unrated, B rated and a couple A rated shows with very good prize money. Many of the AA circuit barns also go to these B and A shows, sometimes to practice and get points, other times because there is very good competition. Where I grew up in the PNW, it is not like this at all, there is no local “circuit,” just a few shows here and there.

He is absolutely adorable and looks very good-natured.

When you say you are “new” to this, what do you mean? What level of jumping/showing are you doing now?

Hopefully there is a way for your trainer to see you ride him before you make a decision?

My 3’ hunter was a hair shy of 15.1. Oh, and he was 3/4 Arab. :smiley: He was very competitive locally (in good company) in the Adult Amateurs, where the lines were set on a true 12’ stride. At rated shows, though, where the 3’ is often set on a longer step, we would drop back down to the 2’6". While he had plenty of step to get the job done, he needed me to be very, very accurate to get him comfortably to a 3’ oxer at the end of a line set on a 12’6" stride, and, well…I was NOT generally that accurate. Lol.

We did need to carry a bit of pace around our courses, but judges LOVED him. Probably because he looked and jumped like an overgrown pony and always carried his ears up and a cheerful expression. Plus, he generally put a lot more effort into jumping at 2’6"-3’ than his 16.2+ hand competitors, which actually gave us a bit of an advantage as far as form in the air went.

For local showing, a smaller horse can absolutely be competitive in the 3’ ring. At Devon, WEF, etc.? Probably not unless it’s a superstar of a horse, but it doesn’t sound like OP has those kinds of aspirations.

6 Likes

I just watched the video. He looks cute, stride isn’t that small, and probably will get more sweeping once he relaxes through his neck and back. Seems incredibly kind. I would not assume he would grow.

But I would read some of the google reviews that pop up when you google that seller’s name before I considered looking at a horse there. :grimacing:

ETA: One review mentioned a COTH thread about the barn, found here: Becky Peckham Accord - Apple Creek Farm - Massachusetts

1 Like

Just new to horse buying! I had a pony for almost 10 years that took me up to 2’9”, he had no jumping experience before me! I was ready to move up to the 3ft but he didn’t have the scope for that. My friend found me an ottb mare to retrain and get to the 3ft but we had to stop at 2’6” as she had kissing spine and I retired her. So I’m ready for the 3ft in my riding ability but just haven’t had the horse for it! I am also much more on my own in looking this time since my trainer is ill and he can’t travel with me right now. So looking for things like scope, confirmation, and stride is newer to me

1 Like

Thank you so much for making me aware of this!!

1 Like

As you know, ability is not about what height of jumps you can jump, but how consistently you can guide a horse around a course safely, confidently, and comfortably for your horse. There are not many children or adults that can ride a 3ft hunter course very accurately, even at very big shows. I count myself among those who rarely can!

3 Likes

I had a really bad experience with Apple Creek Farm. I am sure some of the horses they sell are fine, but a lot of what they say is a flat out lie. Happy to discuss my experience if helpful.

OP have you seen and tried this horse in person?

He is very cute and appears kind and willing. He would not be my first choice for a hunter prospect however. His head carriage and hollow back make me think he was bred for a different job. I highly doubt there’s any warmblood in his background, but I’m speculating based entirely on the video. I also have a strong bias against any horse being marketed as a hunter where the seller’s rider has a death grip on the reins and you never see the horse moving freely without being forced into some sort of “frame”. Drop the reins and see how he really moves.

How competitive is your target show circuit? It’s quite possible that a less traditional hunter would do just fine if he’s got a cute front end and a lead change, which this horse does. Train him up, find the jumps, and you could have a very nice local horse if he’s sound and genuinely has a good mind.

I would not disregard the online reviews and comments. Proceed cautiously, especially if your trainer is not well involved in the process.

8 Likes

I am curious-what breed/s do you think he is?

He reminds me of some draft/saddlebred crosses that I’ve seen sold from Amish farms. Pure speculation.

2 Likes

I thought he looked like a TB crossed with something heavier - maybe some draft. I feel like that mix is not uncommonly labeled as a “WB cross.”

ETA: Looking at photos on the website, maybe TB with some Dutch Harness Horse?

1 Like

He is really cute and he looks kind and willing and fun. But when I watched the video, to me he looks more like an eventer than a hunter.

It also depends on the price and how big of a deal it will be if he doesn’t work out (for whatever reason). You said your trainer is ill, but has he/she seen the video? If your trainer can’t help you, is there another trainer that could look at the horse and help with your decision?

1 Like

my paint is 15.3. He has always been super adjustable and when I showed him in hunters made the lines no problem.

My hony struggles getting the distances. He can do it, but it takes more work.

My chestnut OTTB is 15.3 and walks down the lines. I have to shorten him.

My chestnut mare is just under 15h. She also easily does the lines. She just has a naturally long stride.

My bay OTTB is 17.3 and if he started getting a little slow on course would have to add.

So it can really depend on the horse and how the horse is ridden.

3 Likes

I thought the same. Or TB/Percheron, which is a cross I like very much for a sane jack of all trades type.

He’s cute, he seems to have an appropriate movement pattern to get down the local 3’ lines once he learns to go with his back and shoulder more relaxed, and I would consider him as a project for the local showing and “I want a horse to have fun with” job. He doesn’t look like he is currently being schooled the way I would bring along a show hunter. He is shown with quite a short rein and restrictive arm. Can’t say from the video if that’s because of the way he’s been trained to go or a product of the rider. I don’t know the seller.

6 Likes

I’d bet good money on the “warmblood” part of him being Dutch Harness Horse. He seems cute and willing, but that head carriage and hollow back come naturally to him, and that can be hard to train out.

If you are looking at him and really just like the horse, even if he was an “off breed”, then it might be worth the gamble. If you feel like you are getting a deal because he’s a “warmblood” at an affordable price, I’d say walk away. There is a huge difference between a jump-bred warmblood and a harness-bred warmblood. Harness bred horses can be lovely, but you are starting at a bit of a disadvantage.

Lest anyone think I’m being snobby, my AO hunter was a draft cross in the days when TBs were predominant and smaller WB were being slowly introduced. My horse was bred to be an all-arounder (and he certainly was!), but he was a natural jumper and that part was easier. We just had to improve the flatwork. He was also 17hh and on the thicker side, so he stood out a bit.

So, in short, if you are confident in your abilities, he might make a cute lower level AA horse!

7 Likes

Something to remember also young horses do keep growing–but I assume in this instance, you would not know the family genetics to take a good guess on whether he is likely done.

I thought of the Dutch Harness horse when I saw the video too. However, it seems likely the seller would have said so if that were the case. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Cause then you could sell him as “Dutch Warmblood” in the hopes a buyer wouldn’t know the difference. I think his breeding is a mystery. I like him, as a cute fun all around horse, something to go show locally and hunter pace and swim in the pond. I would vet very thoroughly.

2 Likes