Unlimited access >

Would anyone?

Hi everyone!

Want to give some (any) details whatsoever? That might help.

[QUOTE=Properetiquette1;5859091]

Riding skill wise:
Jump up to 2’6, I’ve done bending lines, i can jump full courses, [/QUOTE]

You probably won’t be needing a 3’6" horse then.

Didn’t you just post about a Big Eq horse being worth $20,000, indicating that you were interested in the horse? And about getting catch rides when you are comfortable jumping up to 2’6"?

Why do you need a horse that can jump 3’6"?

If you are looking for a free horse, and you don’t have the ability to train something, you have to be willing to take what you can get.

Can you pay board? Upkeep? Or do you just want someone to let you ride their horse for free while they pay all the bills?

I’m looking for a horse to ride where i pay for all my showing and trailering. But i get to ride for the show season. I was interested in a horse but buying would make my budget really tight, especially along with shows, shoeing, ect. I want to catch ride but i’m sure there are more high priority riders out there that people will use over me.

You say showing and shoeing and trailering. Are you planning on paying for board, vet, insurance, lessons, etc?

I think you might have better luck finding something with a closer range of heights you want - a 2’6" horse is quite different from a 3’6" one. Also, most situations like this end up with you being responsible for the horse’s board & expenses as well as your showing and training expenses - owner has to get some kind of benefit from it :slight_smile:

I wasn’t planning on boarding i was planning on riding wherever the horse is located. But if i were to board i would hope to split the costs equally between the owner and me.

[QUOTE=Properetiquette1;5859142]
I wasn’t planning on boarding i was planning on riding wherever the horse is located. But if i were to board i would hope to split the costs equally between the owner and me.[/QUOTE]

That would be a half lease then… with no lease fee

So, you want someone to just hand you a practically made 3’6 horse without at least paying board???

Sorry, I’m a little bitter when people send inquiries like this on the horses for free lease.

Like said i could split between the owner. Or we could come to an agreement that i would board the horse and they could pay the vet or shoes. This is why this is difficult for me because i can’t take the entire thing into my hands because i’m not filthy rich. I just need an option that i can afford.

[QUOTE=Properetiquette1;5859091]
I need a mount to ride next year, it can’t be expensive. Maybe a free lease. Maybe a catch ride for the whole year. I need something to ride, but it can’t be too axpensive can anyone help me?

I need a horse that can go anywhere from 2’6 to 3’6. I don’t care if it’s a thoroughbred or a warmblood. Age doesn’t really matter as long as it can jump atleast 2’6. Height wise anywhere from 15.3 to 17.2

I know how to take care of small health things with horses

Riding skill wise:
I can canter, trot, sitting trot, sitting canter, Gallop, Shoulder in, Shoulder Out, Counter Canter, Lead change, Put the horse on the bit, Jump up to 2’6, I’ve done bending lines, i can jump full courses, i get my distances 99% of the time. If you want to know how I’ve done at shows in the past i can tell you that. I’ve been riding for 7 years.[/QUOTE]

While COTH is an amazing resource for a lot of things, most (if not all) of the questions you have been asking on the board seem like things you might first run by your trainer. She has a better idea of how feasible it might be based on your area and riding ability.

1 Like

Posting on a Continent-wide website with out mentioning your location isn’t going to get you anywhere. Look nearby, head out to local barns and ask if they need a hand.

Honestly, if you are willing to pay half the fees you can afford to take lessons on a school horse. I used to do 2 lessons a week and take that horse to shows (where I payed everything) in the summer. That lead to me being one of the few who could effectively ride that horse and, since his owners (aka. the barn) wanted to sell him/market him, I got to ride him whenever and show at a discounted rate. The barn has since given me multiple similar opportunities such that now I can go back from college in the summer and they have horses lined up. :slight_smile:

So, If I were you, I’d find a nice lesson barn with showing opportunities near by and work from there. You’re bound to get much more for your money if you have a coach.

I’m Located in MA. See the thing is most lesson horses aren’t able to go up to 3’6 my goal is to be doing Maclay level stuff by 2013. I can’t do that if i am an Adult at the time. I’m hoping if i can find something and be seen on the circuit that i will work my way up.

[QUOTE=Properetiquette1;5859161]
I’m Located in MA. See the thing is most lesson horses aren’t able to go up to 3’6 my goal is to be doing Maclay level stuff by 2013. I can’t do that if i am an Adult at the time. I’m hoping if i can find something and be seen on the circuit that i will work my way up.[/QUOTE]

But you’re only doing 2’6" right now… and if you can’t afford a horse, it is going to be VERY difficult to show enough to get to that kind of level…

Color me completely confused. You are currently doing 2’6 and have ambitions to be doing the big eq in just a little over a year, on a freebie horse?

Good luck with that.

In all seriousness, you have a trainer, right? I’d work through him/her to see if any clients are looking to half lease or if they know of someone who doesn’t have time to ride every day and wants to share. You are far more likely to find that locally through word of mouth with someone who can vouch for you than from strangers on an international bulletin board. You also likely need to seriously revise your expectations. Unless you are quite gifted, it’s unlikely you’re going to move up that quickly that fast or that someone will hand you, for free, a horse of the quality to take an inexerienced rider to the big eqs.

We all start off with big goals :slight_smile: but sometimes you have to get realistic, especially if money is limited. You’re almost 18, old enough to get real. You may find a greenish horse that someone wants miles on or a stepping down horse whose kid went to college, but you’re not likely to get to the big eq that way.

1 Like

I know it’s going to be really difficult but i’m willing to try. I really just need to find some sort of way to work everything out but i’m having trouble. I’m willing to fight for the chance toride the maclay but i need to work up to it. That is why i need an opportunity to show alot, but not to own.

[QUOTE=Properetiquette1;5859161]
I’m Located in MA. See the thing is most lesson horses aren’t able to go up to 3’6 my goal is to be doing Maclay level stuff by 2013. I can’t do that if i am an Adult at the time. I’m hoping if i can find something and be seen on the circuit that i will work my way up.[/QUOTE]

You are not going to be able to do the Maclay on a free horse. Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. Even if you gave yourself two years to work a horse up from 2’6’’, the second the horse is showing progress at 3’6’’ to owner is going to take an interest.

And honestly? You describe yourself as someone capable up to 2’6’’, which means that in order for you to be doing the bigeq in a year and a half you are going to need the kind of made, confidence building 3’6’’ horse that sells for way into the six figures.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I think when you come on a board like this and ask for a Maclay horse to be handed to you on a silver platter you are going to find people feel a little bitter. I was in your position. You know what I did? I sucked it up. I never did the Maclay. I rode anything that I could and eventually got to the 3’9’’ as an adult doing the jumpers. Its very very expensive to do the Maclay and many people can’t afford it (I’m one of them.)

1 Like

[QUOTE=vxf111;5859169]
Color me completely confused. You are currently doing 2’6 and have ambitions to be doing the big eq in just a little over a year, on a freebie horse?

Good luck with that.

In all seriousness, you have a trainer, right? I’d work through him/her to see if any clients are looking to half lease or if they know of someone who doesn’t have time to ride every day and wants to share. You are far more likely to find that locally through word of mouth with someone who can vouch for you than from strangers on an international bulletin board. You also likely need to seriously revise your expectations. Unless you are quite gifted, it’s unlikely you’re going to move up that quickly that fast or that someone will hand you, for free, a horse of the quality to take an exerienced rider to the big eqs.

We all start off with big goals :slight_smile: but sometimes you have to get realistic, especially if money is limited. You’re almost 18, old enough to get real. You may find a greenish horse that someone wants miles on or a stepping down horse whose kid went to college, but you’re not likely to get to the big eq that way.[/QUOTE]

I show as 15 right now as of this year…

I know it’s gonna be hard and i know i need alot of money to do it but i’m sick of all this politics stuff with riding. Most people tell the people without alot of money that they will never make it anywhere crushing what they really want most in life.

With people willing to help out any good rider should be able to make it to the Maclays despite the lack of money they have. Atleast i won’t be the one just sitting there looking pretty, i will be working for what i get out of the horse.

Sorry i get really aggitated when people suggest than without money you will never make it.

If you are 15 now, why are you aging out in 2013??

It can be done without money, if you are really unusually gifted and lucky. Unfortunately 99% of us are not so lucky. And we have to work hard and pay our way. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done unless you have a 6 figure horse… but to expect someone to hand you FOR FREEa biq eq horse. Be realistic, WHY would someone do that? You’re talking a Daddy Warbucks kind of gesture there. Is that really likely???

A much more realistic goal might be to find a half lease horse with the capability of 2’6-3’0 equitation and show on a local level. THAT you might be able to find through a good trainer.