Unlimited access >

WWYD? Hunter/jumper trainer who doesn't jump?

My current trainer is an impeccable horsewoman-knowledgable, experienced and an excellent teacher. The only problem is, due to physical restraints she can no longer jump (two point is greatly uncomfortable). She still trains the horses on the flat and does work with them over ground poles to work on stride lengthening/shortening, lead changes, etc, and gives GREAT lessons; but my question is, is that adequate to produce show ready riders and horses? She does have a working student who jumps the more broke horses that need touching up, but she lacks the finesse and experience to truly train the green or more challenging mounts. My biggest concern is that I’m currently shopping for a hunter, and since my budget can only afford something greener, not finished, can my current trainer get my future horse where I want it without being able to school over fences? I would “label” myself an intermediate adult amatuer, jumping 3’ and 3’3", but definitely do not feel competent enough to finish a horse correctly on my own…Other than her not jumping the horses and having no one to school them over fences, I have no other issues with said trainer. I would love any advice or insight on this situation!! Thank you in advance!!!

It sounds like you’ve already made your decision. You want to purchase a green horse, and you want a trainer who can do some over fences work on the greenie. I think that’s reasonable. I’m surprised the trainer doesn’t have an assistant who is capable of doing the physical tasks she isn’t.

Thanks for your insight independentlyawesome. Yeah, I’m afraid that’s how I’m feeling too though I really don’t want to leave…is this a concern that could addressed with my trainer or is that really offensive? She is extremely affordable than most in my area and aside from the not jumping, is a stand out reputable trainer. I would be more than willing to pay a little more for her to hire a qualified assistant, but is this something appropriate to bring up or is it a total trainer insult?

If you’re really thinking of leaving, it seems like a more than fair question to bring up. I am sure she’d rather answer some questions than just have you leave–even if the end result is the same. I don’t think want you’re wanting is unreasonable–at all. Good luck.

It’s not your fault she can’t jump your horse. Depending on how green of a horse you end up purchasing, maybe ask her to put some better/more flat basics on the horse and ask her which pro she would recommend to continue training over fences because you don’t feel ready to do it yourself. Depending on what kind of training you want the horse in (full training or a schooling ride once a week) maybe you can keep the horse with the current trainer for your lessons and haul it to a pro for the schooling rides? Or vice versa. She shouldn’t really be offended because she truly CAN’T jump and green hunters need practice jumping…

I would speak with her about it - assuming she’s a reasonable person, I’m sure she is open to discussing this particular limitation of hers in terms of being a trainer and, if you ultimately decide you need to take your new horse somewhere else, she likely will have some good connections/recommendations as to who you should reach out to.

Also, since you’re in the market for a green horse, you likely won’t be popping them over any fences right away. You could always stick with your trainer for a few months until you feel your horse is ready to start tackling some jumps and then look around to see who would be a good fit for you/him (or her).

Granted, I have never been solely a hunter rider, but I have evented, shown in the Hunter ring, in the Jumpers, and Eq. classes over the years.

I have worked with a number of trainers, including a few years as a full working student in an H/J barn (another handful of years with a big event barn). All of my horses have been green when they came to me (even when I was still a green rider!).

I can’t remember a trainer EVER jumping my horse. I have had trainers do their training rides on the flat - and I have always been in the irons when it comes to jumping.

If she is a good trainer - she can train you on how to train the horse over fences. I don’t see this as a reason to leave an otherwise wonderful trainer.

It wouldn’t bother me. My green mare is in training, and my trainer/coach rarely jumps her. She has, however, made her flat work so good that jumping her is exceptionally easy. The flatwork gets you to the fences, after all.

I would just talk to her about it. If she is a reasonable person she will:

-Understand that her limitations may hinder her ability to meet your goals/future horse’s needs.

and/or

-Work with you to find a trainer that you can move to/ship to/have come to you once the horse is ready for jumping schools.

and/or

-Recommend a pro/advanced rider that can ride/jump the horse in conjunction with her current program.

But you have to discuss and ask. Otherwise how she may respond is pure speculation.

Now if she is NOT a reasonable person…that’s a whole 'nother situation :smiley:

There are plenty of top quality trainers that don’t jump anymore, let alone even ride much. However, they often have assistants that can do the riding for them.

If your trainer does not have a competent assistant that can train a horse up, it may not be the best place to bring a greenie into the mix if you don’t feel confident doing the riding yourself.

That said, if you like this trainer (reputable is HUGE!) you should talk to her to see how she will approach the situation. You can also take a wait and see approach. There is a whole lot of work to be done on a greenie and with the three of you (trainer, working student, you) you may be able to get it all done admirably. If it isn’t working, you can then look elsewhere.

[QUOTE=Appsolute;7597610]

I can’t remember a trainer EVER jumping my horse. I have had trainers do their training rides on the flat - and I have always been in the irons when it comes to jumping.

If she is a good trainer - she can train you on how to train the horse over fences. I don’t see this as a reason to leave an otherwise wonderful trainer.[/QUOTE]

What Appsolute said, and then some. Ant think how great you’ll feel when you have a nice horse you’ve made up yourself!

Take this for whatever it’s worth (might not be much)

I have saddle horses. My trainer is over 70 with a heart condition. He rides, but not a lot and doesn’t show anymore. He’s been doing this for 50 years, and made some top horses along the way. He can still make a darn nice horse and fix someone else’s mess. He did a nice job finishing & fixing my mare and rode her maybe a half dozen times. He’s also trained the riders in the barn to do what he needs done.

Having BTDT, I would take a smart older trainer who no longer rides over a younger one that does. Most of the problems I had with my mare were the result of not initially picking the old guy because I thought he was too old to handle a big green horse. WRONG! Ironically, he ended up with her when she was a bigger disaster than when I first considered him.

As long as he has someone he trusts to ride the way he wants, he’ll get another horse of mine. Those working students can grow. His help started at 12 cleaning stalls and lunging horses. Five years later, she’s a pretty capable rider and the two of them work horses very well together.

The trainer is still working around horses - I doubt, if she had a good eye to begin with, that she has lost any of it now. If she has been away from horses for years, then I would worry. I used to think you had to put your money where your mouth is, but think about the show riders out there - their trainers often do not ride any
more and they have successful students.

Another person that thinks before you decide to leave (for this alone) have a sit down discussion with your trainer.

I am not going to say there is no reason for the trainer to ride your green horse. I think even a great trainer is not always capable of making some riders get it right enough with a green horse (some of us riders are just not that coordinated) and maybe seat time is necessary by a more experienced person. But talk to your trainer about you and your riding abilities versus their training, etc. If you do not want to do all the riding your trainer might have a good person to do that part for you.

I think it’s great that you have an instructor that you like. I also think it’s important you have a trainer who can get on and problem solve if needed, because little problems can become big problems quicker than you’d think. I definitely think discussing this with your instructor is important, because chances are if she is reputable and successful as an instructor, she will know riders and/or trainers to help you if and when it becomes necessary.

[QUOTE=ezstreet;7597542]
My current trainer is an impeccable horsewoman-knowledgable, experienced and an excellent teacher. The only problem is, due to physical restraints she can no longer jump (two point is greatly uncomfortable). She still trains the horses on the flat and does work with them over ground poles to work on stride lengthening/shortening, lead changes, etc, and gives GREAT lessons[/QUOTE]

Worth her weight in platinum :yes:
I’d start with her, haul out occasionally or do clinics as required … or find a rider that can come in & work with trainer as needed.

I agree with Appsolute that a trainer as experienced and skillful at coaching as yours should be able to train you to train your horse. If she is capable of schooling the horse on the flat, then all the better–but a good intermediate rider should be able to (with experienced help) teach a horse to jump.

I think this is a tough question to know the answer to without knowing you and the horse you end up purchasing. There are some trainers who are very skilled at walking riders through the process of bringing along their own horses. Also, there are riders who are up for that–who have the grit to work through problems and who are able to stay cool and focused while doing so. And there are some horses that seem to travel through the training process smoothly, and other horses that seem more prone to pick up naughty habits if given the opportunity.

If you aren’t certain of your abilities, or if you are prone to get rattled when things don’t go well, I think you might be better off with a trainer who can ride over fences. However, the fact that your trainer is still very skilled at the flatwork might be enough to compensate, because a huge part of jumping is what is happening on the ground between the jumps.

I’m another one who would tell you not to assume that you need a trainer to jump your horse if you buy a greenie. It sounds like you have confidence in your current trainer. She should be able to give you an honest evaluation of what you would need to meet your goals.

Wow! I am so extremely thankful for all the feedback. This is my first time posting and I am so impressed by the array of opinions and advice! I am just going to talk to her about my concerns and see what she thinks, as suggested. I would say she is reasonable just very old fashioned (very much old George Morris-style, has no problem making you cry and/or be brutally honest) so I’m just not positive that I’m not gonna hurt her pride. I’ll update with hopefully good news. But bottomline, so it is possible for a good trainer to train a good jumping horse without ever jumping it? Thanks again everyone!