Unlimited access >

WWYD if your horse injured a trainer?

So fire the trainer.

This is exactly the kind of rough handed training behavior that’s got you in trouble multiple times.

And honestly by this point you need to be able to step in and stop this kind of abusive nonsense in real time.

The trainer fiddles with the horse riding off the hand to get some notion of collection horse isn’t currently ready for. Then she starts spur and yank until he gets explosive then she revs him up and then punishes him.

She’d get an explosion from a saint doing this.

You need a trainer with some actual tools on their kit not a heavy handed spur N crank with anger issues.

26 Likes

OP, name the trainer. If everyone is so sure this was a yank-n-spank session, you should have no issues outing them.

That might offer some clarity as to what actually happened here.

I have an instructor (with insurance) who comes to me, she is good but not only would she not get on one of my horses, I wouldn’t ask. With the cost of property being what it is, I think traveling trainers are going to be more common and it will be up to them to determine if the property they arrive to is suitable for what’s being asked.

This in spades

However this sounds like garbage and I’d be less worried about your trainer getting hurt and more concerned about lack of emotional intelligence displayed here.

10 Likes

Quoting this from your other thread, OP…

6 Likes

I think myself and others who are saying dangerous is merely saying horse is dangerous to OP because of their beginner level, lack of experience with horses, keeping the horse at home and perhaps not knowing “the most” when it comes to horse care and horsemanship.

I may not remember correctly, but I believe this is first horse for an adult beginner who never rode as a child / junior.

This horse would not be dangerous likely with a good professional, capable AA, or well schooled junior who took an OTTB to Prelim eventing.

All levels of ‘danger’ are relative!

4 Likes

This is from the original thread as well. Red flags all over the place. This horse sounded like a pro-ride from the start, and now he’s been out of work, fed very well, and been catered to and coddled for at least a full year.

He’s also not all that young, if you look at the timelines and add it up.

1 Like

That’s me, and I stand by it. Even if this trainer isn’t doing anything actually wrong in real life, it’s not the right approach for this situation. It’s back to square one. It was a predictable result.

Honestly, as a trainer, with all of the information from the other thread, addressing it head on like that would not have been my go-to. But results may have been the same regardless, and I’m not the one who was on it at the time. It’s possible the trainer is great, good, bad, or awful. I will say though there is a big difference in how you approach training a horse for a beginner owner/rider versus just training the horse. Your goals are very different.

17 Likes

Agree with you, I wasn’t quoting you because you were wrong, but because you were spot-on right.

3 Likes

I’d like to know what happened to the older, been-there done-that horse that OP had previously and enjoyed showing in the 2’ divisions, because I would like her to get him back and then treat him like the royalty he is for the rest of his life.

33 Likes

Your trainer was fully aware of his issues and willingly climbed aboard as so many others do. It is what a horse trainer does and it comes with risks.

I would not want anyone injured as a result from riding one of my horses.

What were you/ trainer asking him to do that caused such a reaction? What have you been doing with him at home that he has progressed so well?

I think you are right that he isn’t suited for what you hoped ( or see his potential for) and that he is telling you the best way he knows how?

Reading those old threads is like watching a game of Whack-a-Mole.

14 Likes

Completely off topic but when I slipped on ice and broke my ankle in late Jan 2022, I was shocked when my medical insurance called and sent letters trying to see if another source could be found liable for my accident ( and pay) . So yes, I bet they would come knocking.

10 Likes

I am surprised he didn’t get her off and I am not surprised he did what he did. This isn’t training. It is abuse. He had no idea what she was asking and instead of realizing that she upped the pressure and forceful methods. Poor guy.

If this was the " training" he received at the previous training barn, no wonder he is a mess.

8 Likes

I haven’t seen anyone saying a horse won’t hurt someone because they love them. Horses tend to move first and think later, being prey, so anyone in their way or seen as a threat are just victims of circumstances or their own bad judgment.

If a horse is in pain, they are very, very dangerous although some will tolerate a great deal of pain without a violent reaction. They will try to communicate that the best way they can. That can be mistaken for disobedience or mishandling or being “hot.”

All horses are not the same. There is a difference between the horse that will aim and kick the rider as the rider is falling off and the horse that will carefully place its hooves or freeze if a rider falls in a heap under the horse. Good kid horses may be 3 legged lame but if trustworthy be worth their weight in gold.

If a horse trusts a handler/rider then it is less quick to find that person a threat and is safer to handle. Instead of running over the handler, it can even use a shoulder to nudge the handler out of the way as it spooks by. However, horses will react to pain (though it can be amazing as to how much pain they can tolerate) and when they do, if it is painful enough, they can hurt themselves and others.

Pushing any horse that is in pain past it’s level of tolerance can lead to a massive train wreck and a horse so ruined, it may never mentally recover no matter how forgiving they tend to be. That doesn’t count the injuries to the handlers and damage to facilities and equipment.

We don’t always know they are hurting. Our veterinarians may not find the issue for years and years and advise us they are ok until they find it and recommend euthanasia or surgery and ask questions like how often does this horse that you rode safely (you thought) the day before have seizures. However, explosive reactions to cues most horses normally respond to in a certain way bear investigation for pain.

A horseman avoids unnecessary major blowups, is sensitive to triggers, takes time to get to know the horse, and works the horse consistently, working toward a required response. It’s the difference between a horse not wanting to cross a ditch or load in a trailer but finally doing so safely even if it takes all day of quiet persistence and becoming easier to cross ditches with and load over time and one flipping over backwards, breaking gear, injuring itself and its handlers, and never improving. It’s building confidence and the habit of obedience.

If a horse isn’t helping someone achieve their goals and that person is frustrated, they can get help, retire the horse, sell it with full disclosure, or perhaps for a problem horse that is dangerous, euthanasia may be the kindest solution. If a person is improving the horse and finding a personal reward in doing so, great. It’s really up to the individual, the horse, and the support team.

This owner is making progress and has support. He or she may not realize it yet but they are learning valuable lessons on handling horses and unfortunately, the hard way, what kind of trainers to avoid. It’s great for the horse if the owner sticks with it but it may not be what the owner wants.

My comment for for the owner to look for pain for explosive behavior is based on safety. No training method, kind or brutal, will in the end succeed on a horse in a situation of continuous pain until the pain is resolved.

11 Likes

I don’t have a video of what happened, and nothing like that has ever happened to me with him (though I would have come off much earlier before it could escalate). The way it happened is that she was clucking and smooching then immediately pulling back on the reins. She wanted him to raise his back and get round, but he was just speeding up. This actually went on for a long time before anything troubling happened. She escalated the pressure and was spurring harder and pulling harder, and he started a few small crow hops. She shut that down by sending him into a gallop. That seemed to work for a while, but then there were a lot of high velocity aerial stunts, some “if Simone Biles were a horse” moments, and then he just stopped, steaming, and she got off, backed him up a full lap around the arena, then lunged him in a tight circle to finish the session. I’ll be honest, I was upset because he was stumbling and cross cantering on the lunge and I didn’t think it was productive. I know training isn’t always sunshine and rainbows, and I’m not sure how I would have handled it in her position, but I just felt surely she could have broken it down into smaller steps and given him some little “wins” in there instead of continuing to ask the same question and escalate to an explosion. I talked through it with her to do a “post mortem” of what went down. She didn’t seem that rattled, but she was insistent I shouldn’t make excuses for the behavior, there was no way to break it down into smaller steps than what she was doing, and I needed to be working him harder on the lunge before future rides or I am setting him up to fail. QUOTE

NO, just NO! This is NOT training. And certainly not training for a horse like this… you have to train the brain and link each step together in the horses mind not ours.

10 Likes

Whenever I hear/read about a horse with persistent, occasionally explosive behavior issues, this case comes to mind.

I’m not suggesting the OP’s horse is as issue-riddled as Apollo, but there are absolutely pain issues that take a lot of searching to uncover (beyond exams, radiographs, and so on).

4 Likes

I agree that if this went down as OP describes, one can hardly blame the horse or label them as “dangerous”. That said, much of this “dangerous” horse stuff in these comments is coming after OP’s previous thread about this same horse. The TL;DR if you haven’t read it already is OP (a beginner) was pressured to buy a green warmblood at a too-good-to-be-true price and later learned of some questionable incentives the trainer had as well as a the reputation the horse had acquired prior to being purchased. Now she has spent the last ~2 years trying to make the situation work and this is where she’s at.

10 Likes

Anyone saying this trainer was explaining something to a beginner rider in crude terms that’s why it’s kick cluck and hold…

ummm explain to me where jumping off and backing up a horse for a lap around the ring then lunging it in a small circle, TRAINS any horse let alone one in this circumstances… this is NOT training!

OP where are you located?

34 Likes

https://www.equus-soma.com/apollo-intro/

For those of you who don’t do facebook.

3 Likes

I’m honestly horrified.

Even assuming that’s not what happened from a contact perspective - the backing up, the lunging, I just…NO.

That’s how several horses have ended up given to me. Their minds get blown by training like this, and then I spend months diddling about on a loose rein until they are sane enough to even attempt contact again.

I would definitely check his poll for soreness and maybe do a bute test (does no one do these anymore?). But some horses really do not like the feeling of being trapped, moreso than others, and so the negotiation into contact is much much trickier than the average bear. The fact that he’s so adamant about the trailer says to me that he might be that type. I have one like that now - extremely assertive/dominant horse and you cannot bully him. You will lose. Every ride is a negotiation.

Please don’t let this “trainer” ride your horse again.

24 Likes