Unlimited access >

You know you’re a farm girl when

Wine is good!

Love rocks and tractors!

1 Like

A dump trailer!!! How exciting! Congratulations!

1 Like

You know you are a farm girl when filling up your barn with beautiful hay is better than Christmas morning!

28 Likes

I feel dressed up and special when I can go to work or out to eat without 3 different animal species of hair and slobber on my clothes.

5 Likes

I love the comments about pyjamas, bare feet and wine all at the barn! In the summer I usually rush to get all my work done before the heat sets in. Then it’s time for a siesta and a shower. Then I change into a light sundress and sip wine until it’s cool enough to go do night feed. I finish my night with a quick foot bath because hubby doesn’t want my barn feet in the bed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. We’re still a good three months away from that here but this convo has me really looking forward to it.

5 Likes

When you see your husband casually shopping for a new tractor with a auger and all the equipment needed to maintain pastures.

5 Likes

^ THIS !!!

6 Likes

How well does it work?? I might need one?

OMG I think every one of these things has brought me joy :rofl:

My favorites…the way the stalls look after being picked and freshly bedded. A perfectly drug arena. The manure pile being hauled away. A delivery from the feed store. And the grass seed you so lovingly spread on your pastures beginning to germinate!

6 Likes

Chicken coop bedding!

1 Like

Why would anyone want pine straw? Good grief - have you ever priced the bales at the big box stores ( or anywhere) :astonished:. Pound for pound I can purchase mountain grown irrigated timothy hay from Colorado and ship it here cheaper than that bale of pinestraw that comes from somewhere around here in the Southeast. I rake up as much as I can for mulch as to avoid buying it.

1 Like

Pine needles from those very long needled species are very desirable as garden mulch in many places. They sell balers to contain them after raking needles into windrows! Now if they only sold Oak leaf balers, I could gather my old leaves up to sell too! Now I put them in the spreader by hand and spread them on the hayfields for additional organic matter. Being acidic, they help balance my PH too.

We recently got a 4 bale hay grapple to go with the bale accumulator we found last summer. Plan is that they will save us handling time on the bales collected from the field. Hay farmers want bigger accumulators and grapples, 10 or 15 bale models. Both these are small, handle 4 bales, so they fit our tractor and budget. I have gone by and admired the grapple every day the last 2 weeks!! Only those who put up hay get enthused when you tell them about your purchases! Ha ha

I get a lot of use from the landscape rake collecting branches, dead fall wood along the hayfield property lines of trees. I made a lot of burn piles after we bought the hayfield property. Nothing had been done over there for a good 20 years. The huge trees had dropped a lot of wood, then more was down after tree trimming to open up the sides a bit. One Oak branch was 40 FEET long, sticking out in the field. Then rake smoothed the burn pile ashes to allow tilling and seeding. It is great for raking off lumps of hardened mud as the paddocks dry. Breaks up lumps and smooths dirt, moves dirt too. Very useful here. I agree it might be too harsh for just raking needles, so the other model rake would work better and not tear up the ground very much. The rake came with the tractor and some other great attachments.

3 Likes

I guess…here our soil is already acidic, I don’t want any more pine needles in my garden!

I have a lot of burn piles also, but we don’t get to burn them often. Burn bans for the last couple of years for most of the season due to drought. They make great shelter for rabbits, though. LOL.

1 Like

When you choose the boxes at Costco based on how well you can make barn cats beds out of them!!

8 Likes

When you finally get 60 feet of rubber mats and just stand and admire them day-after-day.

When working the toys that go with the tractor (bucket, forks, blade) becomes fun and you start feeling like an excavator.

When your goals include budgeting for screenings and it excites you.

When you know these are best days of your life and someday you might be old and barely able to
move and you’ll have that “twinkle smile” people will ask about and you’ll say you’re just thinking about
the good ole days.

9 Likes

Omg Jealous! Mats are such a big accomplishment! Congratulations.

I hear you on the screenings.

1 Like

When your dream vehicle is a bigger tractor.

4 Likes

When you’ve never worn a wedding ring and truck #2 is now 21 yrs old and the 4H with weekender pkg trailer is 25!! And a ton of road trip memories.

Truck #1 had a vanity plate that said ‘HER F250’ Just buy me a pick-up truck :grinning:

4 Likes

When you drive an old car but have a shiny new Kubota!

4 Likes

You know you’re a farm girl dating the RIGHT guy when he buys you a muck spreader for your birthday and you’re excited!!

10 Likes