Unlimited access >

Your Perfect pair of Breeches?

Hello there!

FITS Riding is trying to determine what the perfect pair of hunter jumper breeches looks and feels like-- and we want feedback from you guys!

1. What materials do you like? Woven? Knit?
  2. How much/little stretch in the fabric?
  3. Type of knee patch- suede, silicone, etc?
  4. How large of a knee patch-- specifically for suede-- do you prefer a longer knee patch to help the breech from showing excessive wear on the in seam?
    5.Front or side zip? Why?
    6.Do you like have a mesh panel on the lower leg under your boot for less bulk and heat?
    7.What colors (including standard show colors) would you want to see this breech come in?
  5. Anything else?

Thanks in advance! We can’t wait to see your answers :slight_smile:

Oh I am so excited to weigh in! I love all of my FITS breeches thus far! I really like a technical material (akin to the TS Trophy type material) that has a bit of stretch but is still structured enough to give a nice tailored shape. I personally don’t like knee patches that go up really high on the leg, and prefer silicone patches. If I could “build-a-breech” for a perfect pair these are the following attributes:

• traditional euro-seat
  • wide waistband/between a low and mid-rise
  • front zip
  • silicone knee patches
  • sock bottoms (really like the mesh panel on my Kate/Bekka breeches)
  • tech-y fabric with some structuring (similar to Trophy Hunters)
  • would DIE for a pair that met all of the above in hunter green, burgundy and navy. Brown can be a nice color too, but I find it difficult to find a nice shade of brown.

As someone that used to ride in your full seat breeches I think this in an interesting market for you to try to gain more traction. The material that I have seen even in your current knee patch breeches is too similar to the stretchy almost tight like material used in other models. It isn’t traditional enough for the hunters.

I also tried on a more classic pair of FITS breeches and while I liked the material alright for the price and fit compromises I chose to stick with my Tailoreds.

I would love for another breech comparable to the Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunters to become available but with a sock or mesh bottom instead of velcro. I love the weight and stretch of the fabric (sorry not sure what kind it is).

1. I like a fair amount of stretch but not so much that the breeches resemble a tight/ legging
    3/4. A suede knee patch will be my preference in the hunters and I do not want a patch that does not look traditional or that is too high
  2. I prefer size zip as I find them more comfortable and there is no zipper to gap or bulge in the front
  3. Definitely prefer a sock bottom as long as it doesn’t have a wide ring of elastic at the bottom
  4. Color wise all shades of grey and navy/ blues steal the show for me. I like more neutral tones but I could see there being a market for some brighter colors here and there

I will be interested to hear what FITS comes up with.

I’m a dressage rider, but I just want to say that I really detest the silicone patches. Sure, I stick a lot better in them than I do in suede, but the silicone gets rubbed off so quickly that they no longer look nice. I’m not going to spend $150+ on a pair of breeches that only lasts a year or less.

Hi - I like something that is made up of cotton (60%), polyamide(30%), and elastane (10%) in that order. All of my breeches I own are around those numbers give or take some.

I like grip and the normal suede ones. Don’t like them too short or tall, normal I guess.

The new sock like things at the bottom versus Velcro is way more preferable.

I only buy front zip, I feel like side zip digs into my hip bone.

Colors I like anything really. Navy, deep burgundy sometimes, different greys, etc.

I hate anything with small belt loops, and the pants that put the brand/logo on the back of the pants anms a belt loop (like Romph or Equine Couture), I refuse to buy them. I hate brands bring plastered. I like how TS and Pikeur have a tag or something that’s small. I don’t want to feel like a walking billboard.

1. I really don’t know a lot about material I’d say the type of material modern trophy hunters or Animo breeches are made out of, I can’t say anything about the material in FITS breeches, because I unfortunately have never bought any.
  2. Enough stretch to be comfortable, but enough texture to have structure.
  3. I really like silicone knee patches, they actually work!
  4. I don’t particularly like a longer than normal leather knee patch, I think they look a bit odd, and they aren’t really going to make the breech last that much longer!
  5. Front zip, I’m just more used to it.
  6. Yes, I prefer a mesh panel, I hate velcro on the bottom.
  7. I’m pretty crazy and like almost all colors. That said, the conservative colors I would like would be plum, navy, dark brown, grey, I wouldn’t mind a tiny bit of sparkle on the front pockets either. The more crazy colors would be turquoise, some type of print, or even red.
  8. While I did mention brand names while answering these questions, one thing that I dislike is when a company tries to imitate another company, like they can’t be good enough on their own. Obviously I wouldn’t be annoyed in the first place if I didn’t truly believe in the ingenuity of that company in the first place.
  1. What materials do you like? Technical fabrics - not super cottony
  2. How much/little stretch in the fabric? medium amount. Don’t want to feel like I’m in a suit of armour, but I prefer structure over stretch.
  3. Type of knee patch- suede, silicone, etc? Happy with either! Prefer suede for the look.
  4. How large of a knee patch-- specifically for suede-- do you prefer a longer knee patch to help the breech from showing excessive wear on the in seam? Yes, i do!
    5.Front or side zip? Front zip. Peeing ease.
    6.Do you like have a mesh panel on the lower leg under your boot for less bulk and heat? I do! or just cotton sock bottoms. Anything that involves me avoiding scratchy velcro under my boots.
    7.What colors (including standard show colors) would you want to see this breech come in? The standard buff/beige/taupe/white for shows. Aside from that I like to see fun patterns and some bright colours for safety in the woods!
  5. Anything else?
  • MID. RISE! Please do not show my bum to the masses
  • Wide waistband for comfort and alleviating muffin tops
  • A variety of lengths / fits (I am 6’0, all leg, and like a more relaxed fit of breech. This is literally impossible to find. Please make one for me. Please.)
  • Widely available in Canada

I will real-life market the bejeezus out of your breeches if you make these. My horse is pretty, so she could sell them :lol:

Technical fabric that hides lumps/bumps. Good stretch, good fabric “memory.” I love the ribbing of my cheap Tuffrider breeches because it’s so flattering. Plus it washes soooo well and that is invaluable.
    Lots. I want breeches that I don’t have to retire when I put on a few pounds over the holidays. Or that I can add a layer underneath on the coldest winter days.
    I haven’t tried silicone yet, but from touch/feel, I really like the way it feels. Assuming that the silicone is durable, it’s definitely my preference. I absolutely adore my FITS with deerskin, but I can’t wash them as often as I’d like, nor do I always feel like the fabric comes as clean as I’d like since I can’t use a regular detergent.
  4. How large of a knee patch-- specifically for suede-- do you prefer a longer knee patch to help the breech from showing excessive wear on the in seam?
    No need for an extended patch down the leg. It’s covered by my half chaps/boots.
    Front! I have hips. It’s hard to find a side zip that really fits well. Plus, I’m almost always a size DOWN in front zip as opposed to side zips. :wink: Also, I have a gimpy arm further complicated by loss of range of motion, etc. and I physically cannot zip myself into side zip breeches. :frowning:
    6.Do you like have a mesh panel on the lower leg under your boot for less bulk and heat?
    Yes please. While I love being able to fold up my old TS breeches, I hate the bulk of any kind of velcro under tight chaps or boots.
    7.What colors (including standard show colors) would you want to see this breech come in?
    Colors that hide dirt. Navy. A good true navy! I’d love to see something with subtle piping/trim in a contrasting color. I love the colors on the pipers for this.
  5. Anything else?
    Please make a short length! I have to fold my FITS or pay to have them altered. I’m 5’4", typical height of an American woman. My XL size FITS are easily 6 inches, maybe 8 too long.

[QUOTE=hequestrian;8565150]
As someone that used to ride in your full seat breeches I think this in an interesting market for you to try to gain more traction. The material that I have seen even in your current knee patch breeches is too similar to the stretchy almost tight like material used in other models. It isn’t traditional enough for the hunters.

I also tried on a more classic pair of FITS breeches and while I liked the material alright for the price and fit compromises I chose to stick with my Tailoreds.

I would love for another breech comparable to the Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunters to become available but with a sock or mesh bottom instead of velcro. I love the weight and stretch of the fabric (sorry not sure what kind it is).

1. I like a fair amount of stretch but not so much that the breeches resemble a tight/ legging
    3/4. A suede knee patch will be my preference in the hunters and I do not want a patch that does not look traditional or that is too high
  2. I prefer size zip as I find them more comfortable and there is no zipper to gap or bulge in the front
  3. Definitely prefer a sock bottom as long as it doesn’t have a wide ring of elastic at the bottom
  4. Color wise all shades of grey and navy/ blues steal the show for me. I like more neutral tones but I could see there being a market for some brighter colors here and there

I will be interested to hear what FITS comes up with.[/QUOTE]

I second this. While I ride jumpers, I prefer more traditional breeches (and actually, I prefer just about everything more traditonal) and have aspirations of doing hunters again. I am a loyal TS fan, but think they could use improvements. I really like the older “TS” model over the Trophy Hunter, as I like the side seam and the slightly looser fit - I don’t think breeches should fit like leggings. They just fit me better (I am petite and built with squarer hips, but have muscular legs and butt). I do like the euro seat and slightly longer length of the Trophy Hunter, and think the sock bottom would be an upgrade. I have never ridden in the silicone knee patches, but I can see the appeal. I think the traditional suede is better, though, and love the breeches TS did with the old-fashioned tan knee patch.

I too agree with other posters that branding is better when it’s more subtle. I like neutral colors like grays, browns, and blues, as well as some of the burgundy/warm tones, but I think this is just personal preference.

1. What materials do you like? Technical fabrics with some weight/structure (think the Tailored Sportsman). I hate looking like I’m wearing tights or getting squeezed in at the waist/knees/hips when I’m in the saddle (not every rider is a 14 year old stick).

2. How much/little stretch in the fabric? Stretch is necessary - but again - I don’t want to feel like I need super stretch in the fabric to fit my normal size in a pair of breeches. I’d like the stretch to aid movement but not be trying to achieve “compression” or fit. Honestly - if compression support is the goal of a garment, I’ll buy specific compression under garment and then put a breech I like the look and fit of on top. Trying to do both at once does not always make for an attractive look on all figures.

3. Type of knee patch- suede, silicone, etc? Suede.

4. How large of a knee patch-- specifically for suede-- do you prefer a longer knee patch to help the breech from showing excessive wear on the in seam? No. Regular size is fine.
    5.Front or side zip? Why? Front zip. More flattering.
    6.Do you like have a mesh panel on the lower leg under your boot for less bulk and heat? Yes.
    7.What colors (including standard show colors) would you want to see this breech come in? Make sure that the beige/taupe/whatever you want to call it that is intended for hunter show use is not too cream coloured (yellow tones). Otherwise, burgundy, navy, charcoal, nice rich colours for schooling (won’t show dirt). Think the Tailored Sportsman colours available or even the Smartpak breeches.

5. Anything else? Wide waistband, modified mid-rise (ie. not a low rise sit on the hips cut because, again, we are not all 14 year old stick people and some need more coverage both at the front, back, and sides), variety of lengths, decent price (especially if you want me to buy more than 1 pair), easy care (no special detergent required), wearable in the hunter show ring.

1. What materials do you like? I really like the TS Trophy Hunter fabric. I think it is breathable enough with good structure. My biggest complaint about the FITS breeches that I have tried is that they are way too thin and athletic tights feeling. It may be comfortable to wear around, but I want something with some substance if I spend a long day in the saddle. Some thickness to the fabric is more flattering as well.
  2. How much/little stretch in the fabric? I don’t want them to feel like tights, but some stretch helps a lot.
  3. Type of knee patch- suede, silicone, etc? Suede.
  4. How large of a knee patch-- specifically for suede-- do you prefer a longer knee patch to help the breech from showing excessive wear on the in seam? No.
    5.Front or side zip? Why? Side zip. More comfortable.
    6.Do you like have a mesh panel on the lower leg under your boot for less bulk and heat? Sometimes mesh can be itchy. I’d like a low-profile sock bottom over velcro, though.
    7.What colors (including standard show colors) would you want to see this breech come in? Hunter ring tan, white, charcoal, and I like a variety of blues.
  5. Anything else? Wide waistband, modified mid-rise

How interesting to see a manufacturer go to their clients and ask how to improve their product.

I really liked the FITS Bekas, I was surprised they didn’t catch on more with the H/J folks. Pretty traditional look, nice fit, wore well. Sadly, mine got some stains on them and aren’t in show-shape anymore :frowning:

Something with a a bit of give, more technical than cottony. The TS fabric/Treadstep Rosa stuff is nice. The higher-end type fabric that the Pikeurs is made of is very nice, too, and seems a bit more stain-resistant.

Enough to move comfortably, not so much that they look like tights.

Suede.

A little higher up is fine, but not like some I’ve seen where it’s almost up to the crotch. just a little higher to allow for varied leg length.

Side zip. Much more flattering.

I like a sock bottom and hate velcro.

Beige, blue, grey, RUST! Oh, and Ariat used to make a color called “fawn” that I loved, it hid everything and were perfect for schooling. I would love to see more breeches that color.

1. Anything else?
    LONG lengths. I think Romfh and Pikeurs are the only breeches I’ve bought where the Long really truly seem LONG.
    FITS may also want to consider something more like standard breech sizing for their H/J focused models. It’s a little confusing for folks not used to buying tights/SML sizes to figure out what to get, and that might put some people off. Whereas most people know they wear a 28 or a 32 or whatever.

I would also like to add another common point: A reasonable price point. While you do generally get what you pay for quality wise, the majority of the market is not going to spend $200+ on multiple pairs of schooling breeches, I know I certainly won’t! And with brands such as Romfh, Equine Couture and Horze gaining traction with their new fabrics that aren’t just ye olde riding tights anymore, I think that the price has to be competitive as well as the design and fit.

Ariat All Circuits were the BEST FABRIC EVER if you can somehow replicate that!!

I actually liked the FITS Bekas plenty and have a pair as show breeches.

I’m super picky and opinionated about breeches so this could get interesting. Apologies in advance…

I hate all things cotton. I don’t like the fact that it stretches, wears out faster, stains more easily, shows sweat really easily, and fades. Even a little bit of cotton content is a no for me. I like the stretchier technical fabrics of Animo and Aztec Diamond. Forgiving, comfortable, easy to clean, and looks great forever.

Definitely some stretch, but nothing anywhere near tights.

I like silicone the best IF it’s done right. Good quality silicone won’t peel off or crack. Cheap stuff will. So if it’s cheap, don’t bother, just put a suede patch on there.

Just a regular size patch, I guess. I’ve never had a problem with wear or seams on my patches.

Front. Side is annoying.

Either a sock bottom (my favorite) or a mesh panel, either one. I will not buy velcro. It’s also important to me that the lower leg fits pretty well. I have a pair of breeches with a ton of excess material right above my ankle that is pretty uncomfortable under tall boots.

Tan, White, Navy, Gray, Brown as standard and then maybe more seasonal colors like Burgundy (I keep waiting for someone to make my perfect burgundy breech… hasn’t happened yet…), Hunter Green, etc.

1. Anything else?
    My favorite current breeches are Aztec Diamond, which I’ve been pretty happy with in general. They basically copied the Animo design, but I actually like their fit a little bit better for me. If they had better quality silicone patches, more consistent sizing/some different fit options, got rid of the super annoying strip of fabric in the back that won’t allow a normal size belt to pass, and had better colors, I would buy them all day long. I really like the cut of the Animo/AD leg, the lining fabric in the euro seat area, and the fabric has lasted really well. My Animo are going on 5 years old and my oldest pair of AD are almost 2 years old and still look fantastic.

Additional thoughts:

• I like having a mid or low rise option.
  • I don’t really care how wide the waistband is but a lot of people do.
  • My biggest things are fit (I HATE a gappy waist), how flattering they are, and how long they last.
  • I’ve never owned a pair of FITS, just tried them on, and I don’t remember which model they were, but I thought they were a little too clingy and not particularly flattering.
  • I 100% agree with the person who said they must have sizing. I’m not buying anything S/M/L.
  • I will pay a bit more $ for a nice pair of breeches. The market is plenty saturated with mediocre cheap ones already. Granted, start going too far over $200 and they better be PERFECT or I’ll just keep buying AD.
  • Can someone make a pair of whites that I don’t manage to severely maim/destroy in a season? Anyone? Beuller?

I could keep going for a while, but I’ll stop there.

Regular rise .

I don’t show hunter, indeed don’t show anything at this point.

I am a middle-aged rider, I ride every day for 1 to 1.5 hours, I am height-weight proportionate, fit, but not skinny, I want perfect comfort, and I want my breeches to be as flattering as possible, so I am very picky about fit. I am a reliable 32 in TS and other American brands, so on that edge where I can look OK or awful, depending on the clothes :slight_smile: .I also have some discretionary income :slight_smile: but I am also a bit of a penny-pincher as well, so try to get good brands on discount.

I prefer full-seat for every day riding, unless it is crazy hot in the middle of the summer.

I prefer full-seat for jumper lessons and schooling, and if I showed jumper, would probably wear full-seat.

I prefer cotton in the summer, but am happy with my microfibre breeches in the fall, winter, spring. I wear merino wool long underwear under my breeches Oct to April, and fleece lined breeches in cold snaps.

Currently, I love my Pikeur Lugano microfibre full seats. I also have an older pair of Arista cotton with real suede full seats that I love. I also have a pair of Cavallo Candy, which are nice over-all and have a wide waist band, but gap a little on me at the back of the waist (OK with a belt).

Because I am continually looking for real leather or real suede seats, I did try on FITS breeches on my last shopping trip, and rejected them. They looked horrible on me, clung in all the wrong places, like I was wearing panty-hose. They are too stretchy. They also feel insubstantial. And the Pikeurs I bought that day actually looked … kinda good.

*Not sure what you mean here. I don’t think any breeches come in actual woven fabric these days; all are a knit.

1. How much/little stretch in the fabric?

*Moderate stretch. You need to be able to bend your knee, but you need something more substantial than a yoga pant or long underwear. Or I suppose stretch plus the fabric being more substantial.

1. Type of knee patch- suede, silicone, etc?

*Real leather or suede. This give protection as well as grip.

1. How large of a knee patch-- specifically for suede-- do you prefer a longer knee patch to help the breech from showing excessive wear on the in seam?

*I prefer a full seat. This is for protection from the saddle as much as it is for grip. Therefore I need a suede or leather, or fake suede or leather, seat, not just silicon nubs on fabric.

*I don’t care; overall fit is what matters.

*I haven’t tried this yet.

*The slate greys are the most universally flattering colour for schooling breeches. I have also been looking for a breech in the mocha/ chocolate/ mud brown range.

1. Anything else?

*Waist to the natural waist line. A wide waist band can be fine. Absolutely NOT low-cut. But really it depends on whether the cut of the particular breeches works on you, just like buying jeans. Some brands will always gap on some people.

• I look for substantial breeches with zippers, belt loops, and even pockets. It’s not that the pockets are that functional, except for carrying pony tail elastics, but they seem to go along with a breech that has had a bit more design thought put into it. I do not ride in pull-on tights.

• I don’t want or need any tummy panels or built-in girdles in my breeches. I think there was something like that going on in the FITS, but maybe I’m confusing it with another breech. If the cut is right for you, you don’t need these, and if the cut is wrong, it just makes it all worse.

[QUOTE=FITSRidingLtd;8565114]
Hello there!

FITS Riding is trying to determine what the perfect pair of hunter jumper breeches looks and feels like-- and we want feedback from you guys!

1. What materials do you like? Woven? Knit? Technical fabric that hides lumps
  2. How much/little stretch in the fabric? stretch is good!
  3. Type of knee patch- suede, silicone, etc? suede or clarino
  4. How large of a knee patch-- specifically for suede-- do you prefer a longer knee patch to help the breech from showing excessive wear on the in seam? not picky about this
    5.Front or side zip? Why? either
    6.Do you like have a mesh panel on the lower leg under your boot for less bulk and heat? sounds like a good idea
    7.What colors (including standard show colors) would you want to see this breech come in? RUST
  5. Anything else? Please make a classic model with no euroseat, with European leg seams, and regular rise. Mid-rise is not regular! Petite length would also be great! One more thing: curvy and straight-figure options would be super.

Thanks in advance! We can’t wait to see your answers :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking what people would like. A lot of us older women are running out of options for breeches.

I may be in the minority, but I strongly prefer side zips with Velcro bottoms. I have wide calves, and the sock bottoms are usually too tight for me. I like silicone or perforated “grippy” material like Pikeur grip breeches. Some contrast in the patches in the beige/tan color way is my preference, a la TS.