2 Przewalski Horses turn up at auctions

Well, sh*t. Of course.

Yes. Yes you should. :rofl: :beers:

Why is the kid the one running a GFM? Sketchy.

3 Likes

I have no clue. I was looking up new stories on the horses and it popped up.

I know Prezwalskis are endangered. I know it’s important to preserve them. They are a genetic relic of the past and the only true wild horse of Asia. But, holy cow neck! Who in their right mind would breed that stallion to a domestic mare? Preserve the species, don’t breed anything with a uterus. That young lady will only succeed in making fugly baby horses from her little experiment. There is a reason there’s a genetic gap between Prezwalskis and domestic horse. It’s called selective breeding. As in we selected against that build for a more comfortable ride that would carry a saddle and have a flexible enough neck to steer.

7 Likes

Interesting article today in Scientific American.

5 Likes

Who owned them at the import station, and why weren’t they microchipped?
Edit
Nevermind I caught up.

1 Like

No one knows.

Both horses were run through an auction in OK. I just popped on to the rescue’s website who has the mare Fiona and the DNA results are not in yet. She was owner surrendered to the rescue. The kid that owns the stallion Shrek last posted 3 weeks ago. The kid is most likely lying about their positive DNA result on the stallion.

2 Likes

Skeevy more like it, I watched a couple TTs and it’s cringe to say the least. Can’t guess for SURE she is under the age of 18 but certainly appears so.

A couple years ago there was a Craigslist ad in East Texas for 3 of them. In my quest at that time for the perfect Appaloosa :joy:, I remember seeing the ad for weeks.

I did not even consider the rarity of them or their situation.

Ironically, all I could think was, “WHO wants one of those?”

1 Like

Wasn’t there a zoo in OK was advertising having a couple of these horses on their safari drive through?

Arbuckle Wilderness

1 Like

She is 14. People found her Fb account and she turned off the comments after that.

1 Like

I don’t know, but the more I learn about OK, the more crazier that state sounds. Wasn’t Joe Exotic from OK?

What is in the water over there.

7 Likes

Fiona at Lazy B Equine Rescue and Santuary is 100% Przewalski !!

They posted the results as well as the email thread between the rescue and the vet at A&M that did the DNA test. (which can be found on the FB page, link below)

I would then assume that the stallion the 14 yr old has is also 100% Przewalski. They both orginated from a kill pen auction from OK. While the kid/kid’s family purchased the stallion, the mare, Fiona was owner surrendered to the rescue since she was too wild to handle.

5 Likes

I read somewhere (maybe even one of the references noted above) that due to differences in chromosomes that modern horses and Prezewalski horses cannot reproduce. So the kid with the stallion is only fooling themself by planning on standing it at stud.

1 Like

Unfortunately, while the Prze and modern horses DO have different chromosome numbers, they can and will produce viable, fertile hybrids. Though why anyone would want a hybrid is beyond me.

These horses should be in good conservation programs in zoos or similar. Not owned by the public.

17 Likes

I thought the stallion came from an auction in KS and the surrendered mare from one in Utah.

I may have the state wrong and it was a OK auction, but I thought they both came from the same auction.

Its hard to go back and see, since the kid deleted her comments on her SM posts. They both surfaced around the same time on Social Media.

I think the stallion came from a Kansas auction.

This story made it into the Washington Post this morning:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/08/09/przewalskis-horses-rescued-dna-shrek-fiona/?fbclid=IwY2xjawEljcFleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHSkSz7U9N23oQNXDrRK2llzWQMfBd_oZrMZ4iE7KsWkW_-3tH4ZvdNMHGg_aem_lKLniCDxLACzyjbtDKzB-g

Hopefully some national attention will mean an organization that already has a small herd of these would step up with interest in them?

The Smithsonian biologist mentioned there is a close genetic monitoring in breeding them in captivity. So would it be possible to DNA test these two, like you can DNA test a TB to verify parentage on them? I’d think that would also provide a big clue where they came from.

4 Likes