Unlimited access >

2021 Breeder’s Cup Weekend

They ket him get away with an easy, loafing lead and he was set up to go wire to wire - well done Knicks Go!

I loved the piece about Hot Rod Charlie’s owners… what fun. Not all features on people are bad, you know. And we were spared any cheesy celeb “hosting”. The celeb picks thing for the Classic was not even long enough to be annoying…

What an awesome day! Great races. Longshot winners. Photo finishes (by a flared nostril!) ! And most importantly, all horses and riders came home safe…

I was texting back and forth with my friend up in Canada… placing our “bets” and carrying on as if we were at Del Mar together. I was supposed to be at Del Mar - but my host decided not to go and asked me if I would like to go to Keeneland next year instead… YES!!

4 Likes

The interviews with owners/trainers that I saw on the B.C. site were all good. :grinning:

Dear NBC,

You did a pretty good job this year. Thank you for not constantly interrupting to give updates on other sports. And for no celebrity hosts.

One teeny, tiny, minor gripe: lose the extreme overhead camera feed. It’s a lousy angle for a horse race to begin with, and clouds look the same from above as they do from the ground. Good job cutting away promptly, though.

And thank you for not Bafferting us to death.

3 Likes

It was a fun meet. Some great racing and nothing truly hideous happened.

1 Like

THIS ^. And Jerry Bailey was far less effusive about Baffert today than he was yesterday. I could do without the trophy presentations myself - but whatever. Bathroom break. Snack break. Wine refill. Dogs in. Dogs out.

2 Likes

That is huge…no major incidents. I’m sure everyone involved will sleep better tonight too for that reason.

I’ve gotten into the habit of counting heads as they go under the wire, just to be sure it’s the same as the number that broke from the gate.

1 Like

Dubawi came away as leading sire by number of winners this weekend. He sired all three of Godolphin’s winners.

Surprised but not overwhelmingly so that Coolmore came away empty-handed. They didn’t have as dominating a group of entries as usual. Broome nearly got it done, though. I think Love wants to go be a broodmare.

I wonder whether Knicks Go going the second quarter in 22 and change discouraged anyone wanting to go with him and expecting to stay with him?.

All back, apparently safe and sound.

And regarding the scratches because of gate issues, especially Albahr in the Juvenile Turf that made the bettors very unhappy, my non-horsy/non-betting friends noted that there seemed to be a lot of precautions being taken for the safety of the horses. They thought that good.

5 Likes

Yes, interesting stories, a couple weird things but no injuries,some close finishes, some incredible uncontested wins.

1 Like

When did it become the norm for the winning jockey to turn the flowers from the bouquet on the blanket into confetti? As soon as the garland settled on the horse’s shoulders the jock starts hunting for blooms to shred.
I’m not bothered by it - it’s sort of amusing.

Petals have flown at times ever since garlands were awarded! :slightly_smiling_face:

f21f8564645748c19da12b57f50dd955

1 Like

Guess I just never noticed before! :upside_down_face:

Looks like the plan is to bring Letruska for 2022 :star_struck:

2 Likes

Grooms are listed in UK race cards together with owners, trainer and jockey. Habitually, there is a ‘best turned out’ prize for the grooms which is a nice acknowledgement of their work.

I know on TVG they often announce which horse won the best turned out award, I think it may only be for bigger/stakes races though.

Here is the Filly and Mare Turf won in incredible style by Loves Only You, in case you missed it. The Japanese connections are so thrilled.
You can see them make a heart shape with their hands for the winner’s circle photo.

3 Likes

Keeneland does it for every race, which is great. Farms sponsor the awards and the groom gets a $500 check. Once I was at a Darley party and they were looking for someone to go down to the paddock and pick the best turned out horse. Who wouldn’t want to do that? Certainly not me! :smiley:

I handed out the award in the winners circle right after the post parade and it was filmed. I have no whether it showed on TV though.

5 Likes

What great fun that must have been. Did you pick a Darley horse?