Unlimited access >

2022 Foal Watch?

I always worry about the bad things, too. Arielle is enormous but not hydrops-level enormous, if that makes sense. She’s 13.2 and short-backed, so there really is nowhere for the baby to go except down and out. She was ultrasounded at 14, 30, and 70 days; you can’t ever 100% rule out twins, of course. I do worry about tears or a prepubic tendon rupture when they get this low, though she’s not that bad (yet?).

She just likes to make me nervous, I swear.

She seems like she would do well on my farm. I seem to collect the high drama ones despite my efforts not to. :rofl:

2 Likes

thanks, he is at their ranch in North Dakota for now (high temp there today is 79F while here in Fort Worth it is only going to be 105F) …so he is staying (boarded) on their ranch until October

They really, really do a great job handling the young stock. All the previous horses of theirs that my daughter has had all were just wonderful, easy to work with and delighted to please

Fig was purchased in utero back in January so really had little idea as to just what was coming

1 Like

I mean, she is a chestnut…pony…Arab…mare! :rofl: Through and through. But she is the sweetest little thing, and I have fallen madly in love with her. She definitely epitomizes the Arabian war mare who would walk through fire for “her” person, but she’s quite aloof and watchful with strangers. And she DOES NOT hide her feelings about anything. Ever.

Her daughter Sydney is equally sweet but much more gregarious. I call her my 1,000 pound Golden Retriever. Lol. She is also a drama magnet. Her registered name is TCR Accidentaly Dunit, and she’d had her third emergency vet visit and second set of sutures by the time she was 13 months old.

2 Likes

@clanter maybe not for this thread, but I haven’t seen any recent post on how Socrates is these days? He’s 3 now, right?
The new baby is cute, hopefully this time he won’t come home in the middle of a snowstorm!

1 Like

I will explain in a new thread in Off Course

was hard to write but here is the update

1 Like

Oh, @clanter, that’s awful. I’m so very, very sorry.

2 Likes

Oh no, @clanter! Oh, he was a beautiful young horse and your daughter had done so well with him. I’m so sorry. I’m glad Fig is on the ground and will be coming your way in six months or so.

1 Like

this is Socrates at the Morgan Nationals 2021, he was three years old doing intro Dressage. He stood just at 16h which is pretty tall for an old line Morgan

11 Likes

Oh @clanter. I am so sorry. So very sorry.
Hugs.

got two more new pictures of the foal today, Fig will be two weeks old on Monday

16 Likes

Oh no @clanter. I am so sorry to hear about Socrates. What heartbreak. Fig has some big shoes to fill.

1 Like

This is a photo I took at 7 am comparing today to one week ago:

This is what I found at 6:30 pm:

Milk chemistry says we’re not there yet (Ca 100 ppm and pH around 7.2). But the dripping and the RATE of change says she has to be close. So…no sleep for me. Probably in vain, but better safe than sorry. I have a nagging feeling that this is going to be a big baby.

Sydney was bred this morning with “excellent” semen on a softening follicle. Hasn’t ovulated yet, but she’ll be checked tomorrow morning and bred again if she hasn’t ovulated yet. Then I have to figure out how to go pick her up (3 hour round trip), based on what Arielle is doing. Fun times!

5 Likes

Thinking of you and yours @Clanter. I’m so sorry…

Fig is a stunner.

my thoughts also, I am impressed with daughter’s purchase

Susan Motter and her daughter Megan of Prairie Hill Morgans in North Dakota do an outstanding job with the young stock. They introduce the foals to nearly all aspects of a trail course while working with them.

If Fig is like his brother he will be a interesting one to raise

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Arya is back at the repro clinic to be bred to Rotspon… i am SO EXCITED!!! :heart_eyes: We cultured her Friday and are waiting on the results before breeding her this cycle - should come in sometime today. She is at 40mm this AM, vet estimates she’ll be bred either tomorrow night or early Wednesday AM if her culture comes back “ok”.

I had given myself a good half hour window this morning as it was going to be baby Raven’s first time getting on a trailer, but thankfully mom walked right on and waited patiently like the rockstar she is (only nickered once) as Raven was a little unsure at first, but within 15 seconds she climbed up the ramp and walked right on. So uneventful!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I swear life is just so SO much easier, in every respect, when your mare’s temperament is a “10” and you don’t have to worry about anything.

Fingers n toes crossed for a clean culture and successful breeding! This will be my first time breeding 2 yrs in a row back to back.

14 Likes

Good luck @ASBJumper! I hope it all works perfectly.

2 Likes

Amen to that! The saving grace of my surprise foal experience has been that the mare is just so wonderful. She has made everything easy.

On that note, about a week ago Bogo got her zip back and is acting what I would consider normal for a foal her age. Finally! I feel like I can breath again (for now).

Fingers crossed for a success breeding for Arya!

17 Likes

@Texarkana
So glad to hear that! I think we a feel all feel a little personally invested in Bogo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Good luck, @ASBJumper! And, @Texarkana, I’m very glad to hear that little Bogo is doing so well.

Unfortunately, I do not have good news to share. Sydney has developed an AHF on our third (and final) breeding attempt of the season. Ugh. I am so disappointed and frustrated. I spent twice what I had budgeted with her, and we tried literally everything, including switching stallions, on this last try, only to have her throw another wrench into the plans. :frowning:

Arielle is maintaining her “at least a couple of days out” holding pattern. We learned last year that she’s pretty good at holding patterns. Lol. It’s brutally hot here this week. I really wish she had hurried up and foaled last week before this weather hit.

1 Like