Unlimited access >

2022 Kentucky Three Day Event

We used to buy tickets that allowed entrance under the tents where hot and cold meals were available. The tents offered protection from the sun or rain and it is so nice to sit down briefly at a table to eat. Much nicer porta potties too, with real running water. And there were screens in the tents so you could watch the cross country while eating.

1 Like

What is parking like? is it on grass or is there enough pavement parking? I’ve never been.

Yes indeed, respecting the sponsors, times past it was referred to by the media as the “Mitsubishi Motors Badminton HT” but the general public always called it “Badminton” rather than “Mitsubishi”.

1 Like

Most of it is on grass, the paved parking is preferred and more money. Come early or you have a bit of a walk but they do have shuttles.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m going for Friday and Saturday! Last time I went was 2015. I am excited to shop and watch some badass riders go cross country. Kentucky is so inspirational. There is just nothing like being there in person. Afterward, I might be more motivated to ride regularly in the cold wind and mud that this Midwest Spring has been.

Has anyone gotten their Kentucky preview issue of the Chronicle yet? I’m really looking forward to reading Kyle Carter’s insights on each pair.

Food tip. I bring salami and cheese in pita pockets, sliced red peppers and humus. People are always asking where I got it. Easy portable and no spoilage for a short term. Too much to see and do rather than stand waiting in one of those long lines! And the cost!

11 Likes

Every time I see that headline I think “no not Michi!” :blush:

Though I am disappointed for all and hope all horses are ok.

1 Like

As per Michis Instagram Chipmunk has arrived at the horse park!!

I can’t explain the sadness I have not being in Ky, it’s a trip I try and make every year. Haven’t been since 2018 now :frowning:

2 Likes

Whoo hoo! Why did that not come up in my feed?

I’ve rolled my tickets over the last 2 years and am super excited. This will be our 3rd year.

1 Like

Who is doing the Wofford Picks this year, have I missed it? I thought it usually circulates about this time.

Kyle Carter does them now, COTH just released the KY preview issue

1 Like

I’m going this year and staying in the campground! I’m so excited! I went by myself in 2019 and loved it. I swore I’d go ever year and then Covid happened. So happy to go back this year and I’ve volunteered for Thursday driving a shuttle.

1 Like

We are heading there on sunday!! My husband and I botg event so our bucket list is allllll the 5 stars.

We are planning on doing KHP on Monday, Denali Farm and Churchill on Tuesday, Keeneland, jog, xc walk and dinner out Wednesday(happy bday to me) and then just the rest of the time at the park
We are camping and super excited

9 Likes

Can I come?!??! That sounds SO fun!

It definitely sounds fun until you add in the other facts :rofl:

1. We just bought a farm
  2. The farm is in Canada, we are in NC, and we have a military move in the middle of the month
  3. We are both majors, and I have 3 policy documents I want to finish initial drafts of before we move, and I only have 1 week now to do it (3 weeks but 1 week at Kentucky, one week of work, one week of pre move administration) and my husband has to finish at his exchange job plus do a handover with the new canadian
  4. I chickened out half way through my first trg so we added another show…the weekend we move home. With the horses, 2 trailers and 2 dogs.
  5. I did denny emersons estate sale for his carolina home (finished clearing everything out today) but have 4 more massive wood furniture pieces I couldn’t sell so took them to remodel for new farm (out of 8 total)
  6. I have a bit of ocd and can’t handle other people packing, so despite having hired packers with the military, I will do a massive chunk of the packing myself

But let’s go to Kentucky for a week!!! Thank God my husband is just as horse/event crazy as me.

16 Likes

Does anyone know if there are any amateur riders running in the 5* this year?

Alex MacLeod and Newmarket Jack

2 Likes

Anyone have tips on best plan of attack for spectating cross country? I don’t want to spend the whole day standing in a single spot, but wasn’t sure if people generally pick a spot and stick with it, bring some way to sit, have favorite fences they like to watch, etc. I know head of the lake gets packed, and we plan to watch a few cross the finish line for sure. Just so much to see and a long day!

I think everyone has their own style. I like to walk and see a few riders jump each jump and rarely sit down. If the ground is dry I might take a break between riders on the grass. A few years ago someone mentioned on here to walk the course backwards so I tried that. I really liked doing it that way! Then the horses are running toward you and you’re always ready.

Crowds aren’t my jam so I hang back from Head of the Lake. But yes, the crowd there starts early.

1 Like