Unlimited access >

2022 Kentucky Three Day Event

The arena is still called the Rolex Stadium, so you DO get to at least say “Rolex”, just not on XC day!

3 Likes

There will be a jumbotron screen set up on course usually in the big field on the east end near the tail gating area. Nice place to catch a break and see a few runs.

1 Like

We have a crazy 3 weeks planned kicking off at the horse park. A visit to Old Friends and Woodford on Thursday. Dressage and shopping Friday. Tailgating Saturday and then Showjumping and more shopping Sunday.

Then back to N KY to stay with family, on to Louisville for the Oaks and the Derby. From Louisville to Nashville for a few days. Then to Versailles to tour WinStar farm to meet the sire of DH’s heart horse and the racehorse that I own a few micro shares in.

Then back to N KY and Cincinnati for BIL’s wedding.

Whew!

And I just found out yesterday, I neglected to tell my boss precisely how long I’d be gone. She knew I was going on vacation but not how long because our time system didn’t send the auto notification and I didn’t mention specific dates apparently. Ah well. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I’ve been to Rolex twice and both times moved a bit on the cross country course to see the various challenges. Station yourself beside one of the massive table jumps for a bit. It’s a solid straight forward jump and amazing to watch the teams navigate it. Head of the Lake is fun to watch a few ride through. At some point on course there might be a combination that involves a skinny, a jump on top of a mound to a jump at the bottom. This type of combo separates the newbies from the veterans but I stand in awe of all of them jumping it. Any of the vertical ditch jumps just take your breath away!! Generally I start by watching horses navigate a specific jump early in the course then walk down to the next one I’m interested and so on. Don’t start watching your first jump at say fence #20 or later because you will have lost precious minutes of not watching any horse jump.

Take water bottles and protein snacks so you don’t have to leave the course to eat while the riders are out there.

2 Likes

Any suggestions for restaurants? There are 4 of us casual dining where we can make a reservation would be perfect.

I like to start at the first water complex. It’s usually fence 4 or 5 depending on the course. Lots of gutsy riding there since horses are just getting going. From there, I just wander along the route. Save Head of the Lake for the later rides since most people who started there will have cleared out by the time you get over there. If you try to walk the course fence to fence, you’ll spend too much time walking and not enough time watching, so try to pick spots where you can see multiple fences from one place. There are quite a few areas where you can watch someone jump heading out and turn around and see another heading home. Honestly, I liked the first water complex so much, I ended up there for rest of the day after my walk around.

OBC kitchen!

I like to walk the course but will not spend time on the let up fences. The first two-three are settle in fences and I might watch a little of that. Like someone said above, there are usually places you can see multiple fences.

I am sad about the whole tailgating parking and course-side tents at events. It blocks so many views of the course. It was really bad at Great Meadows last year. So many times the tents blocking the views aren’t even occupied.

Anyone have tips for attending with a toddler?

This year will be our second time attending but first with a baby (14 month old)!

I already have a raincoat for him and one of those framed baby back carriers that hikers use although the husband is going to need to do some practicing with that before we go. Ha.

He’s on solids so will plan to pack food like PB sandwiches, cheese quesadilla, cheerios. Still trying to figure out other options. Also bought some shelf stable individual pack milk.

Dan Kreitl will be at Rolex, he’s a great guy and is in the 4*. He rode a lower level horse in the ring next to me this weekend and brought Carmango along for a SJ round and a dressage test as prep for the big event and Carmango looks like he’s going to put in a great dressage test. Dan does almost all of his own work ncluding when he took 3 horses Advanced at the same show, and even came to my farm last summer to ride with my trainer. Everyone has watched how hard he’s worked to get where he is today and we’re all rooting for the local guy!

13 Likes

The last year I went pre Covid, they had changed Bourbon sponsors and no longer had the Man O War. I thought it was very rude.

1 Like

Does this mean that Dan has had to give up partying and doing the limbo under poles on a jump standard? :laughing:

4 Likes

does anyone know whether there is “fan membership” promotion this year allowing those of us in Canada to watch the live feed?

You can sign up for a USEF fan membership for free using code DoverLRK3DE22, then stream on USEF Network.

ETA - someone else posted this code in another thread - I’m not sure how long it’s valid for.

Shakespeare’s downtown Lexington!

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :worried: :worried: :worried: :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

They switched off of Maker’s Mark???

Em

I went the last year before they shut down for Covid and it was another brand of which I can’t remember.

The sponsor list has a vodka brand for this year.

1 Like

Usually I start at the start box and then make my way to the Rolex grandstand arena…then from there watch the head of lake for a bit then head to the rest of the course. I like to watch a couple of horses per jump and move on. It seems to work this way so half way through the day you can be by the shopping and food etc if you need to refresh or pick things up.

There is also a jumbotron out by the back of the course which is great if you want to sit and watch some fences but also see the whole course action.

thank you!!

Shakespeare isn’t open anymore!