2023 Maryland 5* at Fair Hill

It was so great to meet some of you. Gutted about Boyd. Was the best 5* at Maryland so far! Really lovely though leaving I’m not sure wtf they were doing about traffic, told me to pull an illegal u turn rather than just let me turn right (where traffic was allowed to go).

29 Likes

What time is stadium tomorrow?

What a roller coaster of a XC day! Some terrific riding and some terrific sportsmanship (especially when the riding didn’t go as planned). I even got to meet @phoenixrises and her beautiful, ginormous doggo. (Folks, the “Not a Horse” bib speaks the truth!)

Another round of applause for all the volunteers. This was a looong, often chilly day, but everyone was so dang nice and helpful throughout.

19 Likes

How freaking awesome for Mia Farley to have the only clean round of the day in her first 5*. & to be sitting in 3rd, all with an OTTB no less! Very cool, I am officially inspired haha.

42 Likes

Any updates on Arielle’s horse? I am sure many of us are concerned but we didn’t see any of it.

I watch Ariel pull up and dismount. Strides efore he was hopping off his right front. Vets came and unwrapped his legs. Rt front looked like a high bow. They wrapped and splinted it with a metal piece under his hoof a d carted him off in the Ambulance. Ariel was a .ess. poor girl obviously loves her horse. Jingles that he is able to recover.

23 Likes

Thank you for this update. Jingles for a full recovery.

2 Likes

An amazing, exhausting day! You can tell event organizers have listened to feedback and it is getting better and better every year.

13 Likes

Oh, I rode out on the wagon with you! I had the black and white dog on my lap :slight_smile:

I was at the first MD 5*, missed last year due to work, and then was able to attend today. I though it was leaps and bounds better organized and spectator friendly. The shuttles/wagons were regular and easy to find, there was more shopping (yay, new Remarkable stability leathers!) and there were more food choices all the way around the course. Only thing I’d want to see improved is more water bottle filling stations around the course. And maybe one of the big viewing screens out by the crab water.

Looking forward to watching the re-air in a half hour on MPT, to see what I couldn’t while in one spot on the course!

5 Likes

I am working in the box office this weekend and set up my laptop so that we could watch the feed. Typical of clipmyhorse that it didn’t recognize me today even though it worked perfectly yesterday. The Maryland Public TV (MPT) station carries the 5* portion and I like to watch that to show them that people do want this programming. I tried to watch the 5* on MPT in the box office and the MPT stream was “not available in this area”! Back to CMH. Which, of course, crapped out during the intense moments.

4 Likes

Watching it now. My husband can barely watch it with me as he is terrified of the jumps and what can happen (thinking of Christopher Reeves).

1 Like

https://forum.chronofhorse.com/t/md-5/789939/4?u=morgansercu

Yeah unfortunately most of Cecil County is not in the MPT broadcast area :frowning:

You know that he was not ACTUALLY jumping when he fell.

1 Like

What?

" the afternoon of 27 May 1995, Christopher Reeve participated in a roadblock test in Culpeper competition. The roadblock event had a series of obstacles which the horse and the rider had to jump over. Reeve was concerned about jump number 16 and 17. However, he paid little attention to the third jump, which was a routine three-foot-three fence shaped like the letter ‘W’.

As Reeve, riding on the back of Buck, was jumping over this very third fence, the horse stopped . Due to this sudden halt midway into the jump, Reeve’s body lunged forward off the back of the horse. And that was the moment.

Christopher Reeve landed head-first on the other side of the fence. The impact crushed his C1 and C2 vertebrae. This caused cervical spinal cord injury and left him paralyzed neck-below. He was flown to the University of Virginia Medical Center in a helicopter."

I don’t know where you got that video, but that is NOT Christopher Reeve’s fall. And that is NOT the cross country course at Commonwealth Park (where his fall happened at the CDCTA HT).

His horse refused a couple of strides out from a Training level “zig-zag” fence, and he went over his horse’s shoulder. He somehow got his hands caught (either in the bridle or the mane) and landed head first in a way that fractured his neck/back. The horse did NOT fall. He was most definitely on the take-off side of the fence.

(In the previous 5 years, since we started running the HT, there had not been a single fault at that fence.)

I was there. And I was, for the previous 5 years, the organizer of the CDCTA Horse Trial.

11 Likes

It’s Reeve, not Reeves

2 Likes

Yes, I screwed up. Thank you.

If one donates and becomes a member of any public television station, one can watch next-day replays of Maryland 5* using Passport on MPT/PBS.

8 Likes

I dug around, found the video despite having this niggling feeling it didn’t match up with what I remembered from 95, then I looked again, realized it was NOT CR & Buck and removed it.

Anyway, my husband couldn’t watch them jumping the solid XC fences that don’t break away. It makes him think of Christopher Reeve’s accident. He went to bed.

That must have been a horrifying accident for you to have been present for/on the grounds.