2023 Maryland 5* at Fair Hill

Yes, thank you. I left off an apostrophe. Noted.

I am local. The first year, I volunteered (and brought non-horsey husband). Last year, I attended my barn’s tailgate and shopped (again with non-horsey husband). This year, work kept me home. Non-horsey husband and I watched the XC replay tonight when I was done with work. I’m thinking of buying a t-shirt to support the event. Other ideas?

A question for Janet. Oliver Townend’s horse activated a clip but the rail did not lower. I only took note because the commentator pointed it out and it was replayed. So can you tell me what the phrasing tells us in the rules regarding MIM clip activation vs lowering of jump. I guess that you can be awarded a clear as long as the rail stays up?
There was a moment where I thought “Oh crap - this could take a while to sort out”!

Gosh, you did. Irresponsible and insensitive to post misinformation about a terrible fall that happened 30 years ago, completely unrelated to this thread. Do better next time.

Yes. We (all the organizing committee) were pretty much in shock for the rest of the competition.

I did not actually see it, as I was helping set the show jumping course at the time, but I was on the radio, and got there before the ambulance. He was transported to the local hospital in Culpeper before being airlifted to Charlottesville.

My husband was running cross country warmup, and his opinion was that CR’s confidence exceeded his competence. But lots of of riders have confidence exceeding their competence and still manage to get round clear.

We were figuratively holding our breath for 7 years, concerned that his medical insurance might sue us. But they didn’t.

But my main point is that his fall had NOTHING to do with it being a solid fence. The refusal would had resulted in the same fall if it had been a show jumping fence.

11 Likes

Whew!

As I wrote, my husband & I were watching together but the jumps frighten him. They make him think of Christopher Reeve’s accident.

1 Like

I had to look that up.
The USEF rules ( https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/KlV5P9prkmM/ev-eventing-division ) just say 11 penalties for “Activating a frangible Obstacle in the jumping effort.” (rule EV123.1)

But the FEI rules for Eventing ( https://inside.fei.org/sites/default/files/2023%20FEI%20Eventing%20Rules_clean.pdf ) say “Activating a frangible device where the dimension of the fence is modified.” (rule 548.1)

12 Likes

Thank you Janet for researching this. Devil is in the details:)

1 Like

Frangible technology is a scoring problem. Purely as a safety device it isn’t logical to give penalties. After all, a rider can smash an unpinned xc fence into matchsticks but if they get over/through the obstacle between the flags, and the horse is still on it’s feet with the rider in the saddle, then they are scored “clear”. But under FEI rules, if there is frangible technology activated then penalties are applied. The problem is that these can be subjective as no one can really judge which particular knock caused the pin to deform or break: MIMs are much easier to see than pins but neither has a precise gauge of deformity. It is up to the FJ to ask for replacements. If a frangible snaps after eight previous thumps then is it that eighth horse that broke the pin or the previous seven? To be totally fair, it would be necessary to replace the pin after every brush or thump but the cost, in terms of money (the technology is not cheap) and time makes that very unlikely.

However, the reason why penalties are applied to frangible fences is because safety is not just fence design and build. The penalties are there to stop the riders thinking “Oh, doesn’t matter, it will fall over” and instead make them think “Penalties if I break it, be careful”. Frangibles tend to make riders think, even in the heat of the moment.

The FEI rule was tightened to include “modifying the dimensions of the fence” to remove some of the ambiguity. The previous seven taps then aren’t important, it is the eighth that altered the shape of the fence.

I was completely against penalizing a safety device functioning correctly - because other broken fences aren’t - until I learned about penalties preventing rider stupidity. Now it makes perfect sense. And checking those pins after every horse keeps up my step count over the day.

12 Likes

If anyone wants it, here’s my video of Boyd’s fall. Contessa was like, “see ya, I’m out of here! Stabling is that way!”

15 Likes

My husband feels the same

1 Like

thank you for that. I was jump judging locally so I didn’t get to watch. I forgot to load my account onto my phone and of course, I couldn’t remember my password, I was hoping to watch a bit, but we were pretty busy so there wouldn’t have been time to watch anyway.

Anyone getting the live stream for the jog this morning?

Can’t find anything anywhere. :frowning:

The same fence was also included in the Novice course. It was a nothing burger of a fence. I jumped it in competition and schooling multiple times.

Reeve was a big guy, 6’ 4", 200 pounds. What I have heard discussed, but is purely anecdotal, is that 1.) Reeve’s arms and whip got tangled in the reins, so he couldn’t break his fall. 2.) Because of his arms being caught, he became a human lawn dart, striking the ground head first. Mass * Velocity = compression fractures of the cervical vertebra.

5 Likes

Heartbreaking. She was going so well, what a gallop stride on her!

And just a tiny peck on landing, it looked like, but I’m guessing it felt different from the saddle at that speed.

7 Likes

Piggy’s out, Erin and Campground are out. :frowning:

Only 14 to jump in the 5*.

1 Like

I have been told, by someone in a position to know, that, at the latest Olympics, the frangible clips were replaced after EVERY rider, whether the fence was touched or not.

7 Likes

Ugh. The 5* course was tough yesterday so I’m really not surprised but sad (for me) so few are jumping.

1 Like