2023 Maryland 5* at Fair Hill

Those two in particular were surprising to me because they looked really good after their runs yesterday.

1 Like

Order of go for 5*
Now starting at 2:37pm EST

1 Like

And the announcers said seven will jump, then a thirty minute break, then the top seven. I understand there are reasons they want to do this, but really?

5 Likes

my thought about that, (and I have no idea really,) is that when there are a lot of riders, and there is several hours between, that gives people more time to shop. That kind of makes sense, but 30 minutesa? With only 14 it seems silly.

Is 30 minutes even long enough to get from the seating, to the vendors, buy something and return to your seat?

1 Like

No but it does give everyone in the hospitality tents time to refill their drinks :wink:

4 Likes

I felt the same during the break between XC yesterday - it feels like theyā€™re giving way too much time in between for no great reason. 30 min break between 13 in the 5* definitely seems silly. Let everyone go home!

I might be a minority on this, but I like the longer breaks between things. I donā€™t feel rushed to see everything/go everywhere, I can take my time and relax. It was really nice having a longer break on XC day so we could eat, shop, walk around, and not worry about missing anything.

9 Likes

I kind of disagree.

If you want to turn this into a successful spectator event, it needs to last ā€œall day.ā€

In theory, XC could have been over before lunch if they wanted it to be; there were only 75 horses between both events. But how are you going to entice people and vendors for something that is over that quickly?

10 Likes

A longer break between the XC divisions makes more sense. Gives spectators and jump judges time to rest, visit the vendors, eat lunch and to go to the loo.

the 30 minute break in the 5* show jumping seems silly.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair point, I hadnā€™t thought of it that way. I know KY does the show jump class friday/sat night that may be a draw to keep people around longer. The XC at least also can allow time to stay on schedule for the second division if thereā€™s a hold in the first, the show jumping break within the 5* is the more confusing one to me.

Sounds like theyā€™re doing a rescue dog parade during the break. Probably had that scheduled before they even knew the number of entries.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s really silly. Are they trying to convince people they really got their monies worth because it took longer. Iā€™ve said this before, MD5* really needs to find a way to increase the entries. I live in Central Virginia and it is not worth the drive to watch 26 riders on XC never mind 14 in SJ.

Maybe they need to really increase the prize money to lure more international riders. The field is certainly lack in in non-NA entries. Maybe the problem is being sandwiched in between Burghley (58 entries) and Pau (46 entries)

1 Like

to my mind, 58 was low for Burghley. They used to be in the 80s or more I think. I think inflation has gotten into especially sending horses overseas.

4 Likes

Ugh - whenever it is windy MPT doesnā€™t come in clearly here at home. Today is no exception. Leaving it on anyway.

is it running yet? I canā€™t get it if is.

Me neither Larksmom. Based on this experience ClipMyHorse Tv can take their subscription and shove it. What a difference from Burghley TV. Iā€™ll happily pay for Burghley again.

6 Likes

This time I canā€™t either.

Iā€™m also getting no video, it says ā€œliveā€ but not loading anything

1 Like

is the time posted possibly wrong? I know Friday, it didnā€™t start till the minute the competition started.