Unlimited access >

Any advise for hand raising a single kitten…

Big day today for Clint. He hit 1lb on the scale at his morning weigh in!! It’s a big milestone for this little guy.

Thank you all again so much for the wonderful advise, tips, product recommendations and for talking me off the ledge when I was panicking.

12 Likes

Good job Clint!

1 Like

Even he’s giving the paws up YES to this!

Go Baby Clint!

4 Likes

He’s so adorable! I think he’s going to be a beautiful cat. He looks great and happy. :heart:

1 Like

You’re doing great! He’s so adorable!

1 Like

See YOU did it!! Success for you and baby Clint.

a huge accomplishment, you took him from ounces to pounds!!

3 Likes

Baby Clint looks so happy and comfortable (and sooooo cute!) in these pictures. I’m sure he knows how much he is loved.

2 Likes

Just checking in to see how he’s doing. Does he have any fleas? The most frustrating thing for me was getting rid of the little bloodsuckers, but without flea sprays, since they are too young for them at that age. We bathed our kittens with Dawn to rinse fleas off. We had to do that several times over the course of a few weeks. Has Clint been to the vet, yet? He might have internal parasites. The droopiness at the tips of his ears can be a sign of anemia from internal or external parasites. He looks bright and healthy otherwise. Great job!

1 Like

It’s hard to read (weird formatting) but her first post says two vet visits already so he’s been examined.

2 Likes

Oh great! I’m sure they dewormed him then. Hopefully, the fleas are under control. It’s so hard to get the fleas off of a rescue kitten.

2 Likes

He’s doing really well. No fleas so far, both dogs get the monthly spot treatment and bathed regularly due to it being mud season.
We have more trouble with ticks on the dogs and horses more than anything else.

Yes, He had been to the vet twice and had an apt for his first vaccinations on the 18th of this month. We have dewormed twice, pr the vet and are to continue to deworm every two weeks. They were concerned about internal parasites due to mom being feral.

He is eating A LOT of the canned cat food. About 1.5 tablespoons 5 times a day. Does that seam like to much? Opinions online vary widely on this. The vet said it’s hard to over feed a growing kitten and if he seams hungry, to feed him……

Also, I was wondering about the formatting issue. It looks fine when I use the preview option, but when I hit reply it ends up looking wonky?

At least the pictures are showing up ok!

11 Likes

Is he chewing on his back foot? I would just kiss that cute little face all day long!

4 Likes

Have you tried kitten kibble yet? I know Royal Canin makes one for teeny mouths. And both Purina and Meow Mix have good baby kibble. I know my little boy loved his Meow Mix Kitten. He wasn’t real big on canned food til he saw his “uncles” eating it, then it was all bets off. Then he went to two cans of kitten pate a day. (they are only 3 oz cans)

1 Like

Shilo, thanks for the tip about Royal C. I’ll be “in town” on Saturday and go to the big box pet store and see if they have it. If not I can do a Chewy order.

We are doing Science Diet in the cans because I can get it local.

1 Like

Have you thought about whether Clint will be an indoor/outdoor cat or indoor only?

If he will be indoor/outdoor, he’s getting old enough to start having some supervised outdoor time. He’s too young to be out alone, but time outside with you would allow him to start exploring and acclimating to outside. Keep a close eye on him if you start letting him out. I had a kitten about his size that ran up a gutter downspout and we had to take it apart to extract her. No harm done though; she’s a big girl now.

If he’s to be an indoor only cat please don’t declaw him. Instead, supply him with cat trees and scratching posts so he can satisfy his need to scratch.

Depending on where you are, you may need to use a flea treatment that will kill ticks as well as fleas. This is because ticks can transmit cytauxzoonosis, a nearly always fatal disease caused by the parasite Cytauxzoon felis (https://www.merckvetmanual.com/circulatory-system/blood-parasites/cytauxzoonosis ). I once lost a cat to this disease, and it was truly awful. Your vet will know whether cytauxzoonosis is in your area.

1 Like

He will most likely be indoor only due to our proximity to the road. We have nine acres but we are surrounded on three sides by the road.
Also we will for sure not be declawing him!
I have picked out a cat tree online and will be ordering it soon.

I will definitely ask the vet about the disease you mentioned. When I was a kid we lost our first cat to FIV. My parents didn’t even know that was thing back then. We are all hear broken.

The vet also advised us to not have him outside at all until he has had his first vaccinations. They were concerned due to not knowing if he had nursed even once to get antibodies from mom.

2 Likes

But you can clip the tips of his claws. I do ours in the winter when they won’t try to sneak out. (They’re “officially” indoor cats after too many losses to predators.) It makes them much more pleasant to play with - and makes kneading on bare skin bearable. (I have one who goes under the covers, under my propped-up knees - I pet her and she kneads the back of my thighs. Ouch!) Some of our cats don’t care and are easy to clip, but one cries as if I’m torturing him though I’ve never cut too deep on him. Fortunately he also is very food-motivated so I give a treat after every toe or two and he won’t struggle too hard.

2 Likes

How is Little Clint this Monday evening?

3 Likes

baby Clint, we miss you.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! Clint is doing great. He has started climbing in the house and so far, so good. I definitely need to order that cat tree!

He had finally taken an interest in his many, many toys and so far the burlap mice with feather tails are his fav.

14 Likes