Unlimited access >

AQHA HUS stallion suggestions

Just a note that the video of the Congress English Special Events info session is up on the AQHA English Special Events Facebook page.

If it makes a difference, I actually wasnā€™t recommending him in this case. Just using the two fillies I have to make a point that the OP needs to really look at what a stallion has produced because different genes come through in different ways - in my experience, in his case, the foals seem to take on a lot of the mareā€™s personality. Some may say thatā€™s because the mare raises them, but I think there are some stallions that tend to throw quieter minds even on busy mares. A breeder really needs to do their research based on what they have and what theyā€™re wanting to cross. :slight_smile:

And, yes, him not being able to advance his papers is a real point of contention with a lot of people. I have what should be a double in my barn out of an NSBA WC, but cannot get AQHA papers for that reason.

What is the situation with Living Large not getting his full papers? I havenā€™t been paying attention to all things AQHA for a few yearsā€¦

Heā€™s appendix, but despite his points and ROMs and titles they will not advance his papers due to ā€œexcessive whiteā€Ā.

Which, normally, Iā€™d argue was fine. EXCEPT they DID advance papers on another stallion with regular APHA papers, so thereā€™s a precedent. Thereā€™s also plenty of full papered double stallions who are loudly overo. Peace Out Man, No Doubt Absolute, etc.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a few friends either breed to Ultimately Fabulous or work with him, and everyone just raves about his mind, his movement and his temperament.

https://www.facebook.com/Ultimatelyfabulousaqha/

I wonder the stallion throwing the lame foals is who I think it is. One of the studs mentioned posted a candid picture of him somewhere that had not been touched up, and his legs wereā€¦ wellā€¦ none of them were particularly leg shaped anymore there were so many wind puffs and lumpy tendons and thingsā€¦

Was the other horse with regular APHA papers as loud as LL? Peace Out Man and No Doubt Absolute were not appendixes needing to be advanced.

If you like LL, there is still frozen on his sire These Irons Are Hot.

Thanks for filling me in. Iā€™ve forgotten most of the excessive white rule in huge chunks. Shame. He seems to have truly earned his full papers. I wonā€™t be breeding in the near future, though I do love reading about different lines. My only mare is 25 years old and while I love her dearly I donā€™t really want another one of her. Sheā€™s beautiful and well put together and a nice mover, but her mind can be a little hard to deal with sometimes. Ć°ÅøĖœā€°

OP - I spent time around DGS Vintage this week at the AQHA World Show, and he is a very, very nice horse with a quiet mind, I would put him at the top of my list. Worth a gamble due to no get out there performing, but he himself is doing everything well, including pleasure driving. Legitimate 17+ hands and well put together. Front legs are straight. There should be winning run videos on the World Show site from his Jr. Hunter Hack and Progressive Working Hunter wins. I watched his Progressive round, and he just clocked around.

Plumbcreek he is on my short list just because I did watch the videos from world. Currently on my short list are:
DGS Vintage
DGS Replicated
Thereā€™s No Telling
CBS White Collar Ride
One and Only
Ultimately Fabulous
UnForgettable

Vintage, Replicated and Unforgettable are all on there because they have actually shown over fences with success. Replicated I like becasue he has actually shown USEF as well as AQHA. I love TNTā€™s trot and all of his babies seem to have the same trot. I think those 4 are very close to the top.

Ultimately Fabulous is a big favorite of mine for HUS, his babies absolutely float. I also really like Allocate Your Assets and All Time Fancy(I believe all time fancy is apha registered instead of aqha though)

I just found Ultimately Fabulous this year. Iā€™m looking for a stallion whose foal will hopefully do the working hunters not just HUS.

Vintage is one I am highly considering breeding one of my mares to this year. And my trainer was around him significantly at the show and he was a gentleman. Lots of good there but his bloodlines are ones known to be tough. But I havenā€™t seen that in him.

But at the world show the breeding of the horses winning was all over the place. Nothing consistent. The only studs you see multiple times are allocate your assets, unforgettable and coats n tails.

Yes! That is my hesitation with both Vintage and Replicated the Indian Artifacts breeding is known to be harder to deal with. My trainer is really trying to steer me away from those two because of that added with the fact that my mare is quirky and we arenā€™t sure if her quirkiness is man made or just her. TNT and CBS White Collarride are both by Coats n Tails. I still love Unforgettable so it is great to hear that his foals are doing well. You never see many for sale so it is hard for me to gauge them.

I saw IA when he was on Stallion Alley at Congress, and noted that his swirl did not indicate a quiet, easy horse. Vintage has a different swirl, pretty well located and a good, easy shape, so if you put any % of value into swirls, as I do (85%) it is a crap shoot which swirl he will reproduce. Skys Blue Boy had a dead easy swirl, which is one reason it bred my hot mare to him early in his career, and the foal sort of split the difference between mom and dad - not hot, but super smart and opinionated. Having one mare is difficult, and if it were my quirky mare , I would probably go with the sure thing of CNT lineage, but knowing that the dam of the specific CNT stud will have a huge influence. Why I am no longer breeding. However I found buying just as hard.

Looking at your list, and knowing what I know without wanting to be responsible for libelā€¦ I again reiterateā€¦ go look at produce records AND go look at those dam lines.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the eye candy. Itā€™s nice to see more free-flowing movement in the HUS bred stallions for those of us who have AQHA mares but prefer a more English style horse for disciplines outside of AQHA.

I am smitten by The Next Detail. His pedigree has similarities with that of my Appendix mare, and his movement is very similar to hers in bold and floaty. I also am taken with Unforgettable. He is so lovely.

If I was at a different stage in life where I could consider breeding my mareā€¦those would be my choices for the type of mare that I have.

Thanks again for posting all the lovely stallions.

I know this post is old but I figured I would update everyone. Yesterday my mare was confirmed in foal to Thereā€™s No Telling for a April 2022 foal. We decided to hold off breeding last year due to COVID and she was not really cooperating earlier this spring and her cycles were all over the place. I am very excited to see what I get with this cross. I have really liked some of his babies over the past 2 years.

13 Likes

Oooooh! Please keep us updated!

1 Like

I will. This is the part that is always the hardestā€¦the waiting.

Congratulations! I cant wait for more updates!

And my curiosity was bumped by this thread. Who is the sire of unsound horses @Arelle alluded to?! Haha I may never know