Barisone Case on 48 Hours, 10:00 PM Eastern, Saturday, 9/17

Yes, of course. We’re on our way to competing at PSG next year.

20 Likes

I’ll wear a fancy sparkly bathrobe and rattle my jewelry instead of cheering. I’m not hoi polloi.

10 Likes

Characteristics of NPD include delusions of grandeur and inability to accept rejection.

15 Likes

I find the entire story really really hard to believe. Trainer is irate that owner won’t let them ride. Trainer steals horse, ships it across the country, and rides to glory. Owner does nothing except post about it on COTH.

Those who are anti this trainer find it entirely believable.

24 Likes

Delusion piled upon delusion. And Daddy seems to think she can do no wrong - another delusion.

Perhaps our grandparents were right in believing that mental illness runs in families. :thinking:

[Edited to use a different adverb.]

8 Likes

… because killing her would mean MB or MHG would then get her horses.

It’s fantastic. Truly.

14 Likes

For anyone interested.

9 Likes

Starting this with a disclaimer: I have never seen LK horses outside of a stall so have literally no idea, but…

IF they have three very good, but not Glamourdale, gaits AND incredible trainable brains, a top trainer would make an offer for a horse like that. No question.

Not saying they would mortgage their house or anything but make an offer on an animal like that… absolutely… and to anyone who says no to that scenario has not been listening to what Carl Hester says he looks for nor watched a talented trainer train horses.

Again I know none of the interested parties except have seen them all at shows and in stabling… and have no skin in this game in either direction other then the whole thing is incredibly tragic.

Just jumping in to say that AA horses with super amazing brains make it to GP and beyond ALL the time with very talented trainers. Training a super talented horse is just easier.

8 Likes

FYI Dr. Grande just covered this case. He did a great job summarizing, but does make some terrible puns.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree with that and I said something similar to that upthread. That’s totally a realistic scenario and that’s how a pro came to be to owner of my last WB.

It’s just that…do trainers really get so blood thirsty over horses to the point of killing a client to have the horse? Or otherwise force the client to sell the horse to them? Especially a horse that is not Glamourdale quality?

No idea re LK’s horses and their abilities and/or brains but it just seems weird that MB would be so fixated on one of her horses when I’m sure he could find another one out there of similar or possibly better quality (not saying her horses are nags or anything!). It just that we don’t know how blown out of proportion the tale is, due to the one telling the tale. No one doubts trainers wanting to buy their clients horses from time to time, or that horses with super amazing brains can make it ro GP and beyond.

13 Likes

I couldn’t care if LK was riding Pegasus himself, trying to enter into a business agreement with her is simply… inconceivable.

Even for a Sicilian!

14 Likes

Now see, I’m a pun girl. I was rolling on the floor…

He had backed the wrong horse……
Trojan horse….
:rofl:

6 Likes

I think the truth was something like “You’re not putting in the effort to get this horse anywhere, so why don’t you turn them over to someone else to use for a bit, while we try to get your own skills improved?” and that triggered her. Just as the “body shaming” was probably something along the lines of “You need to work on your fitness and get in shape to do this.”. It’s clear that MB had no idea who and what he had in front of him - in Lauren and her sidekick - until they came to his business in NJ and had he gotten a clear picture when they were loitering in FL, this mess would have been avoided.

16 Likes

But it is just not making the horse into a GP horse. It is making the horse into a top GP horse when you get to the national/ international level and that calls for a horse that is reactive and hot to some degree. Trainable yes - but hot enough to passage down the center line at the end of a GP test. And that doesn’t make a top horse a good ammy horse.

Case in point. Lovely 6 figure horse bought by amateur with money to burn. Lovely gaits, great brain. Olympic clinician lamenting that the horse is not hot enough. But clinician is looking at the standard for a top GP horse. However it is perfect for his rider. Rider does not have the fire in her belly to be out riding through hell and high water like others in this instance. But not a perfect horse for somebody that wants to ride at a higher level.

6 Likes

Ok. I do know a thing or two about this, and sorry if I conveyed otherwise or didn’t elaborate enough? I’m actually a bit confused by your reply re my post.

1 Like

No I am not implying that you don’t know. I am just doubling down with what you said. I probably didn’t word it very well.

5 Likes

Ahh, yeah, ok. :sweat_smile:

Could be a mix of that and my exhausted brain.

2 Likes

But did he use the term “mentally instable”? Or was that someone else? :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many of you ship or haul horses interstate regularly, but I do fairly regularly.

It is not as simple as just throwing a horse on a trailer and going.

A health certificate with an exam is required within 30 days of the date the horse ships, which requires a vet to see and inspect the horse. Typically the vet takes the horse’s temperature, looks at the nose and eyes, listens to the heart and lungs.

I have never shipped or hauled to or from Florida, but I have been told that it is impossible to get in or out of that state without the proper paperwork. If you come into the state and do not stop at an agriculture inspection center, law enforcement will run you down and stop you on the interstate, and then back you go to the agriculture inspection center, with some hefty fines to pay in addition to presenting the proper paperwork.

Many states will not stop you or ask in any way for a health certificate. Florida is not one of them.

I would think, especially due to the involvement of a vet, that an owner must be aware that their horse is going to ship. I have owned horses for 40+ years, and while some vets send bills, many required payment when service is rendered or shortly there after.

I know of only one vet who did not send bills regularly, and he quickly found that solo practice did not work for him as he could not keep cash flowing due to his inability to send out bills and collect payment.

Another point- if the entire barn packs up and heads South for the winter, wouldn’t you 1) be fully aware of the date this is happening, 2) either be going along, or 3) be looking for another alternative for boarding and training if you chose not to go?

Let’s face some truth here- for the amount of time Michael has been in the horse business, excluding the August 7 incident, there is very little negative scuttlebutt out there about him. Do I believe the one person other than LK who had something negative to say? Not so much, as there seems to be something off about the story and no one else has seemed to have had any experience similar.

14 Likes

It just surprised me how hot a top pro wants a horse to be. This horse was not lazy by any stretch of the imagination. So like you said - training ( and trainability) alone won’t make a horse into something a pro might want.

3 Likes