Barisone Criminal Case Update

WTH….easy answer? My whole answer was about MB should have done to avoid the whole damn thing at all……what, pray tell is so wrong about him no longer wanting LK as a client and doing whatever it takes to extract himself?

Oh, right, you wanted me to suggest that he should have assumed guilt for something when you don’t even know the real circumstances of the incident.

8 Likes

As I knew you possess the intelligence to google for yourself i did not feel you were actually tasking posters to do the research on your behalf.

Criminal cases often twist in unimaginable ways especially when high powered lawyers enter the mix.

Of course the example I quoted is a giant such example.

8 Likes

Since you replied before my edit I will add it here again:

If trials like OJ’s happened all the time, there would not have been a mini series made reenacting it decades after it was over.

Most trials that take place all over the US day after day proceed without huge surprises, high drama, and discovering that the victim is actually the perpetrator. Are there surprises sometimes? Of course there are. Are defendants sometimes let off on technicalities or hung juries? Of course they are. But to imply often times that the prosecution gets their case so wrong that it turns out they jailed and charged the wrong person? Come on, don’t be obtuse.

6 Likes

There are surprises very often. Not every time. Often.

4 Likes

I guess it’s as easy for you to say “often” when you don’t have to define what that means with regards to numbers as it is for me to say “not often” regarding the same thing. However, if surprises happened more often than not, they wouldn’t be considered surprises now, would they?

4 Likes

Have you ever heard of the Innocence Project, or whatever it’s called? They seem to find people who were wrongly jailed and convicted on a pretty regular basis, sometimes involving DNA evidence to exonerate the convicted people.

And there have certainly been times when people were convicted and executed, and then exonerated after the fact, which did not really do them much good, unfortunately.

20 Likes

RND, CHT, Currently Horseless……it’s so nice to see 3 sane people on here taking on the forces of hate, misery and victim shaming.
I applaud you all. Get ready to be abused for speaking truth. But if you consider the sources of the abuse you’ll be able to laugh it off.

7 Likes

Right?

2 Likes

Bingo

2 Likes

Aaaand, they’re off!

11 Likes

MBs attorney is not a public defender. He is a high priced, highly valued criminal defense attorney for a reason: success. And as criminal trials have many mechanisms that are in the defendant’s favor you can bet your sweet patootie that this case certainly qualifies under “anything can happen”.

Debating this reality is unusual.

7 Likes

Yes, and that is completely different than what we are discussing here. Those cases typically involve racial inequalities with regards to bias at the time of arrest/quality of defense/jury bias; they do not typically involve well off-white males who are charged with shooting their well-off white female clients. Although if, after MB’s trial is over, someone associated with the Innocence Project feels that he is worth their time, I’m sure they will step in on his behalf. Until then I really don’t think he has anything remotely in common with the people who do need the help of the Innocence Project, and it’s more than a little insulting that you would imply anything otherwise.

8 Likes

I agree….I’m a big supporter of the Innocence Project, both emotionally and financially.
Fortunately, Michael is not facing the death penalty so if he’s convicted or takes a plea he’ll be able to go free if new evidence emerges to exonerate him.

5 Likes

You’re aware that “all the time” is a phrase that’s not meant literally… Or I gave you too much credit?

3 Likes

I mean, imo it’s a pretty large step from staying at a barn despite the trainer “having a temper” or even being a verbally abusive a-hole, to staying at a barn despite allegedly overhearing the trainer hiring a hit man to murder you.

All I know at this point is I think I’m glad I haven’t had the occasion to deal with either MB or LK.

13 Likes

Didn’t he lose that high profile trial for the teacher in NJ?

3 Likes

Rephrase please. Sentence defective.

1 Like

I was simply responding to your statement that it is virtually unheard of for the wrong person to get convicted. Clearly, it does happen on occasion.

2 Likes

Knights_Mom clarified with this: “There are surprises very often. Not every time. Often.” I disagreed with that clarification. Should I not be surprised that you are having difficulty following this part of the thread?

3 Likes

She understands perfectly.

4 Likes