Barisone Criminal Case Update

But it would, one hopes, be recorded in some fashion.

Agreed. And the hole it leaves in this case is why hopefully it’s changed.

7 Likes

I don’t think it will affect the criminal case against MB at all. The civil case? Maybe? But even that is sketchy.

2 Likes

well, somebody lost their decoder ring and I guess the Orville Redenbacher stock will drop.

Other than that, we had an interesting discourse on statute and examples of what makes a certain crime such, vs a lesser or higher charge.

Of course, there is the grand variant from state to state.

6 Likes

The big charge is attempted murder. So the prosecution must show that MBs actions were the actions someone would reasonably take if they were planning to murder or trying to cause the death of another. (The planning could have been for a month, a day, or spur of the moment)

So obtaining a firearm is a lot more damning than obtaining a glue stick.

Going with a loaded gun is a lot more damning than going with an unloaded gun.

Of course there could be a dozen or more other actions which a person might take were they planning to kill.

And if reasonable people - the jury - listens to the prosecution’s list of these actions they must decide if those are the action(s) of someone planning to murder or engaging in the act of attempting said murder.

And if just one juror doesn’t believe that those actions showed intent to murder then you get hung juries, and a subsequent mistrial declaration.

8 Likes

My recollection is that MB said “They have guns” in person in the police station on Aug 5 (according to his civil suit). That’s the same “incident date” that RC gave her gun to MB.

I don’t think he ever said LK and RG had guns in any of the 911 calls.

My recollection is he was asked, and he said maybe.
Iirc there’s a 911 call from MHG saying they might be armed.
And finally perhaps it was stated in person when officers responded. I’ve seen no indication that LEO asked about licenses, or registration of any guns referenced. Doesn’t mean they weren’t examined, if they could be legally.

1 Like

I cannot begin to follow this, and have no opinion, but we can assume that one should never turn your gun over to anybody? What was she thinking-because it was pink it was less dangerous?

2 Likes

In the police station he also says they were served that day with vacate
notice on 8/5. I assume this is what the lawyers were discussing….

But, vacate notice 8/5, and BI&FM 8/6 and CPS 8/7….looks like retaliation….

9 Likes

Sure does

2 Likes

Good point. I was thinking there had to be more to the story than her just handing it to him because he asked “to see it.”

1 Like

Do we know which happened first? He asked to see RC’s gun before he went to the police station? Or he asked to see it after he was rebuffed at the police station?

2 Likes

That’s a very sobering timeline. So sad for all involved.

2 Likes

When he went to the police station on Aug 5, he was not reporting an immediate incident, but wanted to register a complaint about how the police had handled the previous 911 calls and their general handling of the whole situation.

I vaguely recall that when he wanted to register his dissatisfaction with the way the police had handled things, the response was that the way to do that was to state the complaint in writing, or fill out a form. He instead wanted to talk to the police chief in person, or be given the police chief’s phone number, and those requests were denied.

I totally agree that it would be unreasonable if he were not allowed to register a complaint in any form. However, if he had the option of putting his complaints in writing, and having the written statement sent up the bureaucracy, I can see that’s a better way of handling such complaints than letting anyone vent in front of the police chief directly.

As it is, we only have his lawyer’s claims of what he said in the lobby. If he was given the opportunity to state his complaints in writing for the PD to handle within its own process, and declined, that’s on him.

4 Likes

It seemed to me he was wanting to make criminal complaints….the ones he had been begging the officers to make/investigate all week. You don’t make criminal complaints by running a written statement up a bureaucratic flagpole.

5 Likes

The dismissed civil suit had an extensive timeline, so it probably had the time of the visit to the police station. I don’t think I’ve seen any indication of a time in terms of RC handing him her gun.

Some general comments.

This whole story points out that the police by nature of their function are not very good at solving ongoing disputes between people who know each other. These police appear to have been fairly incompetent of course. But also much of what MB is documented as saying on his 911 calls is not the kind of stuff police can act on. It’s the kind of stuff you need civil action and then a bailiff. You cannot call the police to evict someone without a court order, or to make them sign a contract. It’s also about impossible to get a local police force to act on claims of internet harassment. They will come out for guns, blood, drugs, stolen cars, fisticuffs, etc.

As far as reading tea leaves, we have several sources.

There is the civil suit against the police by MB that documents a timeline.

There are some 911 calls, which might be public access?

There are a few news stories, fairly brief. One local paper writes a story that is then shared around a network. Whatever brief account the first reporter gives gets duplicated with no additional information. These stories do not give much information. At times they have included technical errors, and they have never been a full account of anything.

Then there are the copious, contradictory, and combatitive contributions made by the victim. Many of those have proven over time to be untrue or exaggerated.

Anyhow, bearing down too hard on any particular sentence from this body of material is futile and frustrating. A great deal on both sides is emotive and exaggerated, it’s performance.

7 Likes

He made a series of 911 calls, the police responded to each one, and he was dissatisfied with how they responded.

I would think that making a statement that he is dissatisfied with the way they handled the emergency calls is a different sort of thing compared to repeating a previous report of an alleged crime. I thought the visit to the police station was the former.

My impression is that PDs are very bureaucratic, with paperwork on everything. For his own civil case against the police, MB would be better off if he had submitted a statement in writing. I 100% believe that any PD would have a procedure for processing citizen complaints about its officers, and that they’d probably want paperwork and signatures and not want people just giving the police chief an earful.

If there were no avenue for him to register a complaint, I agree that would be outrageous. I’m just challenging the idea that he was rebuffed with no opportunity to submit a complaint at all.

2 Likes

You left out IM. I pretty much trust everything IM has said. This latest information on the RC plea deal is exactly consistent with what IM said weeks ago.

2 Likes

The only thing that makes me question IM is that IM admits that their facts are facts that they did not get first hand, they are facts that they were told by LK.

8 Likes

while police might not be able to act on this, they are required to take reports.
so you call 911, theyshould come. You ask for a supervisor, you should see one.

7 Likes